Greetings all plus a question

Hey everybody, we'd just like to introduce ourselves and say that we are enjoying it lots.

However, perhaps someone can tell us - when we 'hide and seek a cache' with our postcode the directions put us about a mile further east than we should be. Any ideas?

Thanx, in advance.

Simply the database of postcodes isn't very accurate- it may be a datum/shperoid issue, or the US just bought a cheap n nasty database (!) - If you have a GPS already you can set your home co-ordinates with that and you'll be spot-on then. Otherwise try other postcodes til it looks about right?

Welcome to the game and the forums, btw :huh:

Simply the database of postcodes isn't very accurate- it may be a datum/shperoid issue, or the US just bought a cheap n nasty database (!) - If you have a GPS already you can set your home co-ordinates with that and you'll be spot-on then. Otherwise try other postcodes til it looks about right?

Welcome to the game and the forums, btw :huh:

wot 'e said...!

If you haven't got a GPS yet, you can still get your home coordinates, either from Google Earth, or even streetmap etc. My postcode is quite a way out as well, you're not alone!

Hey everybody, we'd just like to introduce ourselves and say that we are enjoying it lots.

However, perhaps someone can tell us - when we 'hide and seek a cache' with our postcode the directions put us about a mile further east than we should be. Any ideas?

Thanx, in advance.

Generally the lat/lng for a postal code is determined by the geographical center of the postal code boundaries. Not by the location of the post office itself.

Just enter your actual home coordinates in your profile and thereafter your local searches will start at your house.

2Dee2Dee

Thanks all, for the kind words and the helpful advice. I will give it a go and see how I get on.

We could have done with advice yesterday as we discovered the cat (schrödinger) geocoin at M50 View but didn't know to take the numbers from the back of the coin!!! Since we left her there I need to go back again so I can log the find. Oh well. Live and learn.

Edited by bradnchris

Thanx, in advance.

Count yourself lucky. Geocaching.com puts my parents postcode approximately 4 miles away from where the house is.

Philip

The answer is quite simple...

The Postcode search only works on the first 5 digits, possibly (or probably) because a US ZIP code only has 5 digits to locate down to an area of several square miles; lacking the sophistication of the UK Postcode system which as we know locates to a street or part thereof.

So a search for NG13 AAA will produce the same result as NG13 AZZ, even though they be several miles apart (I made those up by the way, but feel free to try it with any combinations you know of). :huh: