iPhone 3G

The NEED for a Geocaching Application with the support of Groundspeak is a MUST. I purchased an iPhone 3G just for the purpose of Geocaching. The lack of being able to use this technology is really going to make them miss out on many new members. Geopher was trying (please read his blog http://geopherlite.blogspot.com/ ) but has run into come obstacles regarding terms of use. The Geocaching community is one where most of us think a like and are all on the same "page", so maybe with that being said we ALL can come together to make this happen!

-Tom

Didnt the iPhone 2.0 just come out on the 11th? What the iPhone will be good for is as a support device. Instant access to online logs, logging finds out in the field, etc. I will continue using my vistaHCx for the actual hunt.. The GPS in the iPhone doesn't compare to my vista. I'm hoping some useful applications are released that will assist out in the field, but those types of applications shouldn't violate the T&C.

Can you be a little more specific as to what exactly you are looking for in an app? We've already got a WAP site and with the iPhone you can even argue in the forums from out in the field :laughing:

Didnt the iPhone 2.0 just come out on the 11th? What the iPhone will be good for is as a support device. Instant access to online logs, logging finds out in the field, etc. I will continue using my vistaHCx for the actual hunt.. The GPS in the iPhone doesn't compare to my vista. I'm hoping some useful applications are released that will assist out in the field, but those types of applications shouldn't violate the T&C.

Can you be a little more specific as to what exactly you are looking for in an app? We've already got a WAP site and with the iPhone you can even argue in the forums from out in the field :laughing:

Yes I know, what I'm thinking is that more people will get involved in Geocaching and it would be a lot easier to log them on a "made for iPhone" version of geocaching.com rather than having two devices or having to go home and log say 45 caches on the computer. This would also eliminate people copy pasting the same log message for multiple caches. (I don't know about others but its hard for me to remember all the caches and I do not like to leave a simple TFTC). I just think it would be very beneficial for there to be another way out there that integrates everything into one device so ones caching can be more organized and therefore more fun.

I find that it is hard to make an APP for any device without stepping on some toes. I wanted to try and make an app for the iphone but you need a MAC to do it. I dont have a mac but I have a lot of ideas for an app and think if I can get them on paper then maybe it will be helpful to someone to make one.

We also might want to think that maybe Groundspeak might have a program in the making?? I might also be dreaming a little on that one. I am just gonna get a Blackberry with CACHEBERRY. Iphone 3G seems to be having some issues with Apps anyways too. I have a ipod touch with the new 2.0v and it has to reboot every other day or so. This is gotta be a problem they are fixing but imagine this on the iphone and trying to make a call with the device randomly rebooting.

Good luck to anyone that is working on an app for this.

I have an iPhone 3G and I don't see me putting away my 60Csx when I go caching and using just the phone. With that said however, I also have a Blackberry Curve 8310 (w/GPS) and have found the GeoNavigator software from Trimble quite useful -- this uses the location information from the GPS to allow me to quickly pull up caches in my immediate vicinity direct from GC. I can read the writeup in a nice handheld friendly format, see map and topo pulls, read logs, and can even use the Blackberry as a GPSr device if I happen to be on an unplanned cache stop and for some reason (that I can't imagine at the moment) don't have my 60Csx with me. I can also log when I've found a cache -- which is handy for keeping the order of the finds -- so that appear automtically in the right order when I get to logging them online on GC.

The only thing it doesn't do is allow for doing the same thing using an offline GPX file. While many times I'm within cell data range, there are times -- particularly when hiking -- that I can't get a signal and thus can't use the application to pull up a writeup (say to read the hint). If it added this feature, you'd have the best of both worlds and it would be a killer caching app.

Yes, it's a subscription service above and beyond GC's premium member fees -- a little steep -- but a really nice to have feature. I could see allowing perhaps offline GPX use for free (or perhaps for the cost of a one year subscription after which you can keep the app for offline use only for free) and then having the subscription for the online mode.

We need this app or one similar for the iPhone as well.

Barring that, a nice offline GPX reader (I hear Mobipocket will be available before the end of the year which will let me at least use the mobi.gsk macro in GSAK to gen a usable offline database) that perhaps used the GPS locator service to suggest/index which caches you might want to see would be nice.

I looked a geopher -- can't say it hits the mark for what I'm looking for in a good caching app.

For now, I'm sticking with my Blackberry when caching and my iphone when I'm not and just have to deal with flipping the sim card (actually haven't check to see if that will work yet). Eventually hopefully the two functions will merge and I can carry just the iphone.

It would be nice if there was an app to add Wherigo support to the iPhone/iPod Touch.

I would use the iPhone as an auxillary device to my current GPS as the built in GPS on the iPhone is not really that powerful. It needs clear access to the sky for reception.

the point of gc.com's "terms of use" on the website is clear, and I think you have to remember....it is their website, they put many years into development of it and If they choose not to support something that is their RIGHT and I am sure they are fully aware of "all the business" they will miss

anyway there are apps in development that are supported by gc.com but...

from what ive seen if the owner of the commercial app actually informs gc.com and possibly shares profit, then maybe they wouldnt mind......but just making an app and charging people for it leaving gc.com out of the loop might incline them to say gtfo

but who knows im just a speculator

would this work with the 3g?

http://www.ayefon.com/geo/index.cfm

Edited by gratefulHIKE

At first I was thinking hey lets do everything on the iphone! Not that it wouldn't be amazing. Just think, you're in town, got some extra time on your hands, pull up your geocaching.com app and search for local listing, you may even be standing on one already! I believe that we should (at the very least) have a geocache application that can locate u and the nearest caches so you could either use the iphone 3g or have a list to enter into your gps. This would truly advocate paperless caching

I'm sure if someone worked with Groundspeak on this issue, it could be resolved. If an iPhone app were created that did *enough* cool stuff, I would certainly pay an additional monthly subscription fee to use the iPhone app.

Put the app out there for free. Offer a trial period and then a subscription fee after the trial. That would be a win-win for everyone. Groundspeak would have the financial motivation to put the time into either a) hiring a consultant to build the app or :D work out some kind of financially beneficial scenario in order to get the app developed...

I'm sure they are sitting and watching to see what happens. If the iPhone takes off like it appears to be doing, i'm sure Groundspeak will want a piece of the action.

I've been watching the iTunes app store for geocaching apps, and saw this one pop in a couple days ago:

Geopher Light

Geopher Lite is a while-you-are-out geocaching application. Quickly check your current location via geocaching.com for geocahces in your area with the search button. Then type in a target latitude and longitude and let Geopher Lite's directional arrow lead the way to your destination.

Updated version inlcudes a link to google maps and a help button for those who are newer to geocaching.

A more complete version of Geopher will be made availabe soon which will include managed geocache lists, pocket query/GPX file support and more!

Cost is $1.99

I'm doing just fine with the iPhone right now (I'm a total noob though) so I was going to wait for the upgrade version before buying the app.

Geopher link on iTunes.

First reviews are not good ... even the "good" reviews says something like "Great idea...but still needs a lot of work."

Which is okay for an initial release -- even the developer's blurb says a better version is coming soon. His notes are here: http://geopherlite.blogspot.com/.

What remains to be seen is if this becomes complicated and geeky, or cool and streamlined :) Too many niche apps I've seen fall into the former category.

Edited by lee_rimar

I'd love to see an App that:

• Finds Nearby Caches
  • Allows you to select a cache and read cache description
  • Would overlay direction, distance etc on top of a google map or topo map
  • Allow me to log cache find right on the iPhone
  • Allow me to upload photos I take with the iphone camera

I'd love to see an App that:

• Finds Nearby Caches
  • Allows you to select a cache and read cache description
  • Would overlay direction, distance etc on top of a google map or topo map
  • Allow me to log cache find right on the iPhone
  • Allow me to upload photos I take with the iphone camera

You forgot to add :

• Signs the logbook for me, :o

I downloaded the Goepher App. It looks like it will do most of what I was hoping it would with one small problem. I want to look for caches on the fly. I always carry my Colorado and Rino so if I could know what caches are near my location and could see the info I would be good to go. The problem is that although it is interactive with geocaching.com, it does not let me log in so that I can see the hint or add a log.

I downloaded the Goepher App. It looks like it will do most of what I was hoping it would with one small problem. I want to look for caches on the fly. I always carry my Colorado and Rino so if I could know what caches are near my location and could see the info I would be good to go. The problem is that although it is interactive with geocaching.com, it does not let me log in so that I can see the hint or add a log.

Geopher does all of those thing, and it allows you to log into Geocaching.com as well. After you launch the app and press Set Target, and it opens the list of search results, click the login button on the top right corner of the screen, right where it always is on Geocaching.com. Be sure to check Remember Me or else you'll have to log in every time you launch the app. Then you can do the search again and get the coordinates, hint and log.

I've used the app while caching twice, both times successfully, and it has allowed me to find caches easier and faster while out and about than I could have with a regular GPS, simply because I have access to the entire Geocaching.com website. That being said, this is a very rough 1.0 version made just to get something on the app store, and the next few versions should add a lot of needed polish and missing features, including compass rotation, coordinate saving between sessions, and a link to open a Google Maps view from the tracking page. Those are all things that should be coming soon, so keep watching for updated apps on the store.

I just thought I'd chime in on this thread and let everyone know I've been working on a Geocaching application for the iPhone called Geode. There's a feature list and some screenshots available on the website over at www.geodeapp.com. I'd love to get some feedback on the features I'm working on.

Wow, that looks fantastic, sirmalloc! I really like the design you've got. The compass and cache details view look great. I like the integration for choosing a cache and the idea of having the map rotate with your direction. Best of luck in getting all of those features working. Do you have an estimate of how long until your first release?

I'm also wondering if the app will interact with geocaching.com in any way? For example, will you be able to see a list of caches near your current location, as with Geopher? Will you be limited to only caches that you load onto the device manually? I'd be less inclined to use the app if it requires that I sync it with a computer before going out. Even with the list of caches that have to be loaded on the phone, will you be able to sort them by distance in the list view?

Without the ability to locate nearby caches and track them without syncing, I may find this app less useful than Geopher, but I love the way it looks and hope that I have a reason to have it on my iPhone. It certainly seems like even without the features mentioned above, this app is going to be a must-have for those who want to use their iPod Touch or first gen iPhone for paperless caching.

Wow, that looks fantastic, sirmalloc! I really like the design you've got. The compass and cache details view look great. I like the integration for choosing a cache and the idea of having the map rotate with your direction. Best of luck in getting all of those features working. Do you have an estimate of how long until your first release?

I'm also wondering if the app will interact with geocaching.com in any way? For example, will you be able to see a list of caches near your current location, as with Geopher? Will you be limited to only caches that you load onto the device manually? I'd be less inclined to use the app if it requires that I sync it with a computer before going out. Even with the list of caches that have to be loaded on the phone, will you be able to sort them by distance in the list view?

Without the ability to locate nearby caches and track them without syncing, I may find this app less useful than Geopher, but I love the way it looks and hope that I have a reason to have it on my iPhone. It certainly seems like even without the features mentioned above, this app is going to be a must-have for those who want to use their iPod Touch or first gen iPhone for paperless caching.

The main cache listing screen has a special section for manually entered caches that have been entered. While I have the same restrictions as Geopher about interacting with Geocaching.com (can't directly pull data), I will be adding the ability to launch a browser inside the application to a URL of your choosing (with the option to pass your current location as part of the URL). I'm envisioning a bookmark interface to make managing this easy.

This will allow the user to hit the Geocaching.com nearby listing page (or any other page that takes coordinates as part of the querystring). The browser will have a coordinate entry panel that'll let you enter whatever coordinates you find and store them as a manually entered cache. I'm researching options for automatic coordinate recognition on any page that you happen to be browsing on, so this might smooth out the process. I did send an email to Groundspeak regarding if they offered any kind of license to interact with their data, but sadly never got a response.

I'm hoping to have a beta release in 2 to 3 weeks. It's a hefty feature list that I'm implementing, including the need to create both Mac and PC desktop applications to allow for GPX/LOC syncing. If you are interested in helping me beta test, please leave a comment over on one of the www.nonameindustries.com posts so I can start a list.

My iPhone is on order :mad: , but I would definitely be interested in getting the beta release when it is ready.

Two features most regular cachers would undoubtedly want would be (i) the ability to import filtered cache info from GSAK or another cache managament application (probably by uploading a .gpx file); and (ii) the ability to store map information when out of cell/wi fi range (which your site indicates you have in the works)

I assume you've seen the SDK for iPhone 2.1 software that reportedly lets you port speed and direction info into your app. That would pretty much allow you to replicate the geocaching compass screen functionality of the Garmin C and SC series (constantly updating distance and direction, speed and heading, etc). Although not critical, it would make the iPhone a nearly complete all-in-one solution.

My iPhone is on order :mad: , but I would definitely be interested in getting the beta release when it is ready.

Two features most regular cachers would undoubtedly want would be (i) the ability to import filtered cache info from GSAK or another cache managament application (probably by uploading a .gpx file); and (ii) the ability to store map information when out of cell/wi fi range (which your site indicates you have in the works)

I assume you've seen the SDK for iPhone 2.1 software that reportedly lets you port speed and direction info into your app. That would pretty much allow you to replicate the geocaching compass screen functionality of the Garmin C and SC series (constantly updating distance and direction, speed and heading, etc). Although not critical, it would make the iPhone a nearly complete all-in-one solution.

I have seen the notes on the 2.1 SDK features. I can do the speed and direction stuff as it stands right now using (relatively) simple calculations based on previous location and current location to get an azimuth of your vector and then calculate speed based on distance traveled over time. The SDK will make doing these calculations more 'standard' so individual developers won't have to implement the functions themselves, so I'm looking forward to that. The distance and heading information will likely make it on to the map, compass, and rotated dashboard screens in an overlay that you can turn on and off.

As you noted - a major feature I wanted was the caching of map tiles and the importing of GPX data. Both of these are high on my development list.

Velocity using change in position divided by time is probably not going to be very accurate, given that the position accuracy is only +/- 10 feet in the best of circumstances. If you are actually traveling 60 mph and you sample once per second, you might get a distance of 88 feet, which would be right. If each sample is 10 feet off, though, you also might get 68 feet or 108 feet, yielding 45 mph on the low side, or 72 mph on the high side. You may have figured out a way around this problem, by averaging, etc, but GPS chips compute and output velocity using doplar shift, and are accurate to within .1 mph. I would think that tapping into that data would give a lot better result.

Velocity using change in position divided by time is probably not going to be very accurate, given that the position accuracy is only +/- 10 feet in the best of circumstances. If you are actually traveling 60 mph and you sample once per second, you might get a distance of 88 feet, which would be right. If each sample is 10 feet off, though, you also might get 68 feet or 108 feet, yielding 45 mph on the low side, or 72 mph on the high side. You may have figured out a way around this problem, by averaging, etc, but GPS chips compute and output velocity using doplar shift, and are accurate to within .1 mph. I would think that tapping into that data would give a lot better result.

I haven't actually tested it out yet, but when you are traveling in a car you get very frequent timestamped updates on the GPS info, and while the accuracy may be +/- 10 feet for each reading, the readings pretty linear along your vector (not jumping left 10 feet for one reading, right 10 feet for another). Just based on the data I've seen from the GPS thus far I'm fairly confident that the error range in the calculation won't be too great. Only time will tell, but it'll be easy enough to build in the hooks to display speed using my method and swap it out to use the SDK method when 2.1 hits.

I haven't actually tested it out yet, but when you are traveling in a car you get very frequent timestamped updates on the GPS info, and while the accuracy may be +/- 10 feet for each reading, the readings pretty linear along your vector (not jumping left 10 feet for one reading, right 10 feet for another). Just based on the data I've seen from the GPS thus far I'm fairly confident that the error range in the calculation won't be too great. Only time will tell, but it'll be easy enough to build in the hooks to display speed using my method and swap it out to use the SDK method when 2.1 hits.

A full-blown GPS does not determine speed in that manner. It detects the Doppler shift in the signals to determine speed. I don't know if a phone's GPS chip, intended to provide e911 service, has the ability to detect speed in this manner.

A full-blown GPS does not determine speed in that manner. It detects the Doppler shift in the signals to determine speed. I don't know if a phone's GPS chip, intended to provide e911 service, has the ability to detect speed in this manner.

In the case of the iPhone 3G, it uses what looks like a fully-featured GPS receiver chip - Hammerhead II (link to PDF) by Infineon/Global Locate/Broadcom.

In the case of the iPhone 3G, it uses what looks like a fully-featured GPS receiver chip - Hammerhead II (link to PDF) by Infineon/Global Locate/Broadcom.

I don't know about "fully-featured". Their promo material says it's "optimized" for cell phone and PDA use. That usually means it concentrates on features used in those devices, and omits the rest. The specs are silent on whether or not they can use Doppler shift detection to determine speed. Then there's the question of whether or it that readout is even available to the 3rd party developer. Time will tell.

I'll add my 2 cents worth since I'm a bit confused by what it is others want in an app for the iPhone.

Right now, I use a Garmin GPS to find caches that I load onto it via Pocket Queries. I also load the PQs onto CacheMate my Palm device so I have the description, hint, logs, etc for any given cache. I like this combination because they use replaceable batteries.

I use my iPhone if I suddenly find myself somewhere I haven't included in a PQ. I just use Safari to log on and do the job. I have to put the coords onto the GPS manually.

I envision myself using the iPhone to get me to the general vicinity of a cache using the driving directions feature. Again, that requires entering coordinates manually. (I really hate driving around a city trying to find a specific spot using just a compass on the GPS ... my maps are somewhat limited.)

What I'd really like to see is an app like CacheMate that reads a gpx or loc file that I can have e-mailed to my iPhone as a pocket query. That shouldn't be too hard. After all, someone diid it for the Palm device.

It would be nice if such an app could feed coords into the map so I could get driving directions. Using the iPhone to then go to the cache would be icing on the cake, though I'd probably continue to use my Garmin.

I'll add my 2 cents worth since I'm a bit confused by what it is others want in an app for the iPhone.

Right now, I use a Garmin GPS to find caches that I load onto it via Pocket Queries. I also load the PQs onto CacheMate my Palm device so I have the description, hint, logs, etc for any given cache. I like this combination because they use replaceable batteries.

I use my iPhone if I suddenly find myself somewhere I haven't included in a PQ. I just use Safari to log on and do the job. I have to put the coords onto the GPS manually.

I envision myself using the iPhone to get me to the general vicinity of a cache using the driving directions feature. Again, that requires entering coordinates manually. (I really hate driving around a city trying to find a specific spot using just a compass on the GPS ... my maps are somewhat limited.)

What I'd really like to see is an app like CacheMate that reads a gpx or loc file that I can have e-mailed to my iPhone as a pocket query. That shouldn't be too hard. After all, someone diid it for the Palm device.

It would be nice if such an app could feed coords into the map so I could get driving directions. Using the iPhone to then go to the cache would be icing on the cake, though I'd probably continue to use my Garmin.

I think you'll like what we've got planned for Geode. Aside from syncing pocket queries to the device with a computer, it has a section dedicated to manually entered caches. Entering these caches will allow you to browse the web, find coordinates, and store the cache(s) and interact with them like you would any other cache on the device. You can set it as a target, then use the embedded maps or launch the Google Maps application, use the compass, log notes and photos with the cache, and then sync them back to the computer later if you choose.

Personally I prefer the map we are implementing inside the app. Once it's finished it'll rotate the map view to match your movements.