NEW COIN: Welsh Lovespoon

uktim

Welsh Lovespoon.

lovespoon_000.jpg

The traditional lovespoon originated in Wales where they were given by a lover to his sweetheart as a token of his affection. They were hand carved from a single piece of wood and designs varied from rustic simplicity to very intricate. Hearts (for love) and celtic knot (everlasting) designs were common themes.

This our first lovespoon coin depicts two interlocked hearts as part of a Celtic knot, presented in polished metal set off by a coloured enamel background. The reverse has a Welsh dragon, the national emblem of Wales as seen on the National flag.

There will be a regular unlimited edition in nickel plus limited editions of 100 in each of polished gold, polished chrome and polished copper. At first we will produce 50 of each LE , it is envisaged that the next 50 of each finish will feature a different enamel colour.

Size: 2inches x 0.5 inches

Thickness: 3.5mm

Finishes

Regular unlimited edition in polished nickel

100 x Polished Gold

100 x Polished Chrome

100 x Polished Copper

Trackable at www.geocaching.com

On presale at

www.geogenus.co.uk . Due to ship August 20th.

Hi. Can you post a picture of the back of the coin? Would like to see the back before making the final decision about buying this coin. I like the front. Good job!!!!

Sorry. I new I'd forgotten something!

lovespoonback.jpg

The Nickel finish will be exactly as pictured with black enamel. The Gold, chrome and copper will have a red dragon. "Trackable at Geocaching.com" and the box surrounding the tracking number will be in green.

Nice!

I carve spoons - and have one that has a celtic knot on it.

I'm interested in the geocoin dog series as well...are you going to have a flatcoated retriever in your series?

The dogs are causing us a bit of grief at the design stage. After a lot of back and forth emails between the artist (my wife) and the mint she has put them on the back burner whilst she get's her confidence back up with a few other coins.

I am curious why enamel costs more? Usually, up to 4 colors is free.

It's actually a case of the RE costing less. A 2" coin with 3d dies both sides doesn't come cheap so we've opted for 3 LEs for those who like a bit of exclusivity and an RE to help spread the die costs. Anyone purchasing can choose whichever option they like :(

Will you be selling them as a set?

Hi

Good question, I've pondered over whether to sell individually or as a set.

At present we're selling them individually and apart from a few collectors people appear to be buying whichever coin suits their tastes.

Do you think there would be much demand for complete sets?

Regards

Tim

I think there are a few who likes to buy something like this as a set since some like to collect all the finishes and usually the are sold at a very slight discount :D

I think that our preferred route for discounts would be to offer a discount based on the total value of the purchases made on each visit to our webshop. This would then apply equally to those who wished to purchase coins from different sets.

Sadly we won't be able to implement this for quite a while as it requires an expensive upgrade to our software :D

Edited by uktim

How much does £6.00 equate to in $ ?

When I paid for this coin earlier this month I paid $1.97 for each £1. I tend to just double the price for an easy conversion.

I noticed when I was paying for my hotel/train tix this past weekend that I was only paying $1.87 (through my bank)... so there's hope that maybe our $ is getting slightly stronger. :anibad:

Edited by Laura612

When I paid for this coin earlier this month I paid $1.97 for each £1. I tend to just double the price for an easy conversion.

I noticed when I was paying for my hotel/train tix this past weekend that I was only paying $1.87 (through my bank)... so there's hope that maybe our $ is getting slightly stronger. :anibad:

Thanks for the info.

It WOULD be very nice if it were true about the money situation.

I find that the easiest way of getting a reasonably accurate conversion of £x into dollars is to type xgbp in usd into google. The answer this morning appears to be $11.17.

The current trend of the pound againest the dollar could help us with sales of coins that we have in stock, but it won't be so good when it comes to paying to mint coin designs that are already in the pipeline :anibad:

OK after over an hour on the phone this morning, I managed to settle the customs charges and get the coins delivered.

All outstanding orders have been packed and shipped and we're taking orders to ship from in hand stock at www.geogenus.co.uk.

Thanks for your patience everybody.

Edited by uktim

Hi... I received my two this morning and very nice they are. However... I've tried to activate then by going to www.oakcoins.com/activate website as it says on the enclosed ticket but the tracking code on the spoon isn't recognised by that site. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi

If you email me via my profile here with the name you ordered under I'll get straight onto this for you. At present I'm struggling to match your GC username to your order.

As a general note it's probably best to address such queries through the email address on our website (www.geogenus.co.uk), that way I'm a lot more likely to get to see them :unsure:

Regards

Tim Jones

Just a quick update.

The coins have now been despatched from the mint and provided the postal services work we should be on target to ship by August 20th.

3256d369.jpg

Order at Geogenus

This is one beautiful set of coins.

Hi

There will be a single icon that covers both this and any further lovespoon coins we produce. At present we haven't ordered enough (only 50 of each finish) to qualify for an icon. Hopefully we'll need to re-order soon and be able to get an icon :unsure:

regards

Tim

Hi... I received my two this morning and very nice they are. However... I've tried to activate then by going to www.oakcoins.com/activate website as it says on the enclosed ticket but the tracking code on the spoon isn't recognised by that site. Any help would be appreciated.

It looks like this problem has been resolved now. If anyone else experiences difficulty activating their coins please get in touch via my GS profile or the contact address at www.geogenus.co.uk.

Regards

Tim

I rec'd my 2 spoons today in SoCal and they are sooo cute! I think I will have to go back later and get the other two. I'm thinking about buying one for my FIL who I'm going to demuggle later this month.

I showed them to my DH (whose from Clynderwen, Wales) and he loves them.

I had no trouble getting them activated. Thanks so much!