Is there still a free geocaching account?

Ace and Fly Baby

I have taken several people geocaching, including a newbie yesterday. I always tell them they can start for free, then they will want the added features and it is only $30.00 a year. Since many of these people are having to buy GPS recievers to get going, this helps.

I went today to look at "getting statred" to check on a caching name my new partner wants. Everytime I clicked on the "free account" link, I was sent to a place to pay for premium memberships. :):ph34r: I cannot find any other way to access the accounts with out paying first.

I do not see an announcment about removing free memberships, but I need to know before I tell and more potential cachers false information. :huh:

I have taken several people geocaching, including a newbie yesterday. I always tell them they can start for free, then they will want the added features and it is only $30.00 a year. Since many of these people are having to buy GPS recievers to get going, this helps.

I went today to look at "getting statred" to check on a caching name my new partner wants. Everytime I clicked on the "free account" link, I was sent to a place to pay for premium memberships. :):ph34r: I cannot find any other way to access the accounts with out paying first.

I do not see an announcment about removing free memberships, but I need to know before I tell and more potential cachers false information. :huh:

If you're already logged in as yourself, the system knows that YOU aren't creating a new account, so assumes you want to pay for a premium membership.

If you log out or if your friends come in, the getting started should take them to the open new, free, no strings attached, account.

thanks, i did not think of that....it seems good to keep start up free, even if thought I am totally in favor of people "signing up" if they cache regularly.

Thanks for the info.

I went today to look at "getting statred" to check on a caching name my new partner wants. Everytime I clicked on the "free account" link, I was sent to a place to pay for premium memberships. :D:laughing: I cannot find any other way to access the accounts with out paying first.

I do not see an announcment about removing free memberships, but I need to know before I tell and more potential cachers false information. :D

If you're already logged in as yourself, the system knows that YOU aren't creating a new account, so assumes you want to pay for a premium membership.

If you log out or if your friends come in, the getting started should take them to the open new, free, no strings attached, account.