Member Only Caches

Sure, I pay dues and get that Raduim ++ Member listed under my name...but I pay to get some extra stuff like pocket queries.

Even though I believe all Geocachers using this site should be a Premium Member...I don't prohibit those non-members from seeking out any of my caches.

What are your reasons for having a "Members Only Cache"?

When I hide a new cache, especially if spend a bit of effort on making it extra-special, I like to keep it in members only status until a pre-specified number of finds have appeared, usually five. After that I remove the PM-only restriction.

I copied the idea from having seen another cacher do it. I think it is a neat way to reward fellow dues-payers while not being completely exclusive.

***Not this again! ***

Oh Well, I usually don't read beyond the first page.

But now that I see you gave so many links (right at your finger tips)...and this topic is getting old...the moderator can delete this topic if they want.

But...Thanks For Playing

Don't worry about it. If new topics weren't allowed to be posted just because they've been the topics of other threads... we'd never have any new topics.

We'll assume Kit is busily linking all the other topics to their previous topics (quite a long job) and won't complain in this one again.

So, on to the topic.....

Yes, I think the Member's Only cache has been useful in some cases where a local person found out about geocaching and instead of joining in on the fun they've decided to destroy the caches they find. From time to time this happens, and as long as the cache pirate doesn't pay money to be a Premium Member then making your page member's only is a good way to keep him from getting the coords to your cache.

So there's another good reason why it's done sometimes. :ph34r:

I make some of my puzzle caches MOCs so I can see the audit log. Its interesting to see who working the puzzle. After a while I generally remove the designation.

Other MOCs I have that are designated as such because I spent a good deal of time and money on the cache and don't want it to get muggled or broken by someone that's not really involved.

I make some of my puzzle caches MOCs so I can see the audit log. Its interesting to see who working the puzzle. After a while I generally remove the designation.

Other MOCs I have that are designated as such because I spent a good deal of time and money on the cache and don't want it to get muggled or broken by someone that's not really involved.

I've started making my 3+star caches MOC's.

Why? Because the cache is usually time consuming to make and I spent a lot of time finding the perfect spot for them. This also keeps the likely hood of some fool that just signs up, from destroying it, or stealing it.

Plus I can see how many and who are visiting the cache. Helps me see who is doing what.

I don't generally make the easier finds MOC's. However I do have a 5 star that is open to anyone.

Just depends.

We have a few puzzle hiders in our area who make their newly listed caches members-only for a few days to get an idea of who is looking at the page. There's only one problem with that approach, which is summed up in a saying we have on the MSGA forums which is attributed to TrkDoc: "You have to view it at least once to ignore it." :ph34r:

Edited by DavidMac

Not this again! :ph34r:

Well, the guy asked what are YOUR reasons. Not sure you answered that. Here are mine:

1) I like to see the visitor audit, which you can only see with members only caches.

2) I really do believe everyone who plays should support the site. My thoughts on that have changed over the years. This is my way of encouraging folks to just pay the 3 bucks. Only one of mine is members only so far, but they all will be from now on.

I have hidden some PMO caches for a number of reasons:

1) In the small town I was living in at the time, a sudden influx of people hunting for a cache would have raised suspicion so by making it PMO I eliminated some of the traffic to the cache.

2) I had a cache where I made it a PMO only for the first couple weeks just to give paying members a crack at it first as a "reward".

3) Just because I could. Around here it is very rare to meet someone who isn't a paid member so it really doesn't make a huge difference.

4) Yeah, I liked to look at the logs just to see who had looked at the cache and how many times.

I really do not understand the angst that PMO caches seem to generate.

Contrary to the assumptions of Mushtang, I revisited this topic.

I place MO caches for the following reasons, that are based on my experience of placing over 100 caches:

By placing most of my PMO caches in areas requiring extra effort to reach, plus the occasional puzzle, my caches last longer, and the SWAG improves. I provide better entertainment for cachers who help support the site, like myself.

I'm one of those cachers that think someone who finds more than a couple caches should be a paid supporter of this site. This includes membership, buying items from the Groundspeak store, as well as purchasing trackable coins. I remember the good old days when the website always crashed, and we had few member perks. To date, i'm amazed that the Geocaching Google maps are made available to non-premium members.

I've never had a reason to make a cache a PMO. I adopted one that was and removed it to increase the traffic.

(Before anyone accuses me of not honoring the original cache owner's placement, I asked them about it and they told me they had completely forgot about that setting and didn't have a problem with me removing it. Had they had a problem I would have left it a PMO but would have discussed the issue until I annoyed them enough to agree with me. :anibad: )

3) I enjoy giving supporting members some bonus caches.

I don't see separating the community as a benefit to anyone.

edit: spelling

Think of it like a bar that serves free popcorn to everyone. They will also serve an ice cold beer for three bucks to anyone. Are they separating the community? They just need to pay the bills. Edited by TrailGators
Great, analogies. :anibad:

This isn't a bar. There's no beer, popcorn or bacon.

I'll leave it to gc.com to run their business. Perhaps one day they'll choose to have a membership drive. :)

I'll admit that wasn't the best analogy but my point was that it's only three bucks. So for about the price of one beer anyone can find MOC caches. :D Edited by TrailGators

How about this analogy: You walk into an ice cream store and they will give you as many free ice cream cones as you want. However, there is one container of ice cream that you have to pay three dollars to be able to eat as much ice cream out of that one container as you want for a month. They use this special container to help collect money to pay the bills. Should the customers get upset because of that one container? :anibad:

I'll leave it to gc.com to run their business. Perhaps one day they'll choose to have a membership drive. :)

My point was that it's only three bucks. So for about the price of one beer anyone can find MOC caches. :D

On a business level, do you think that PMO caches increase membership? On a community level, do you think that PMs should be rewarded for being members by being able to find caches that non-pm members can't find?

I think that paying members should benefit by having additional services that then enable them to pick, choose and manage caches, and other various site options.

Note, I do think people set caches as PMO for reasons other than reward, so please don't play the "I'm accusing people of being an elitist" card.

How about this analogy: You walk into an ice cream store and they will give you as many free ice cream cones as you want. However, there is one container of ice cream that you have to pay three dollars to be able to eat as much ice cream out of that one container as you want for a month. They use this special container to help collect money to pay the bills. Should the customers get upset because of that one container? :)

I think that any ice cream analogy should result in an immediate 10 day ban. :anibad:

My point was that it's only three bucks. So for about the price of one beer anyone can find MOC caches. :D

On a business level, do you think that PMO caches increase membership? On a community level, do you think that PMs should be rewarded for being members by being able to find caches that non-pm members can't find?

I think that paying members should benefit by having additional services that then enable them to pick, choose and manage caches, and other various site options.

Note, I do think people set caches as PMO for reasons other than reward, so please don't play the "I'm accusing people of being an elitist" card.

I'm not accusing anybody of anything. I can't speak for everyone but I became a member because of a PMOC. I think they do help bring in some revenue.

How about this analogy: You walk into an ice cream store and they will give you as many free ice cream cones as you want. However, there is one container of ice cream that you have to pay three dollars to be able to eat as much ice cream out of that one container as you want for a month. They use this special container to help collect money to pay the bills. Should the customers get upset because of that one container? :)

I think that any ice cream analogy should result in an immediate 10 day ban. :anibad:

I actually thought that one was much better. :D
I'm not accusing anybody of anything. I can't speak for everyone but I became a member because of a PMOC. I think they do help bring in some revenue.

Okay, so you do think that PMO caches does assist gc.com in adding members. I don't have a problem with that viewpoint, but I disagree.

I think that when people look at the playing field, being restricted from certain caches is not the best marketing approach to gain paying members. It has been my experience that it causes, at times, a level of angst.

Regardless of the business reasons I am not gc.com and I would prefer a different approach to adding members.

Edit: Clarification

Edited by BlueDeuce

Okay, so you do think that PMO caches does assist gc.com in adding members. I don't have a problem with that viewpoint, but I disagree.

I think that when people look at the playing field, being restricted from certain caches is not the best marketing approach to gain paying members. It has been my experience that it causes, at times, a level of angst.

Regardless of the business reasons I am not gc.com and I would prefer a different approach to adding members.

Edit: Clarification

I still see it as only one container of cheap ice cream. I'm not sure how else they can raise more money when so many don't want to pay three bucks. The other thing is that you get a lot of other cool stuff for that three bucks. Maybe someone should start a thread asking non-members what would really entice them to pay the three bucks. Edited by TrailGators
I still see it as only one container of cheap ice cream. I'm not sure how else they can raise more money when so many don't want to pay three bucks. The other thing is that you get a lot of other cool stuff for that three bucks. Maybe someone should start a thread asking non-members what would really entice them to pay the three bucks.

I don't see PMO caches as an incentive to adding more paying member, in fact it probably alienates them more than encouraging them to sign up just to find a few other caches in the area.

Good site service and additional options keep people coming back and paying for the extra benefits.

That depends entirely on whether one chooses an 'entitled' point of view.

You see a mostly free website site in which a portion of the experience is rudely excluded from non-paying members. You are annoyed that it’s not ALL free.

I see a site which costs money to run, yet instead of the owners charging for the entire experience as is their right, they give most of it away. I am happy that ANY of it is free.

I’m tempted to draw an illustrative analogy, but I happen to like TrailGator’s analogy. A lot. It’s perfect. I couldn’t have written it any better. Who would dare to complain at such an ice cream store? I would be ashamed to even consider being so ungrateful to that store owner.

How about this analogy: You walk into an ice cream store and they will give you as many free ice cream cones as you want. However, there is one container of ice cream that you have to pay three dollars to be able to eat as much ice cream out of that one container as you want for a month. They use this special container to help collect money to pay the bills. Should the customers get upset because of that one container? :anibad:

I still see it as only one container of cheap ice cream. I'm not sure how else they can raise more money when so many don't want to pay three bucks. The other thing is that you get a lot of other cool stuff for that three bucks. Maybe someone should start a thread asking non-members what would really entice them to pay the three bucks.

I don't see PMO caches as an incentive to adding more paying member, in fact it probably alienates them more than encouraging them to sign up just to find a few other caches in the area.

Good site service and additional options keep people coming back and paying for the extra benefits.

Start a thread to see how many non-members would pay the three bucks if they got rid of that feature. However, it seems to me that once the non-members that want those caches got them for free there would be no reason to pay. The funny part is that they can log them right now! Edited by TrailGators

If you don't want to pony up the $3 for a MOC, then don't. That isn't any skin off of my back.

Before I became a premium member, I didn't know of a few caches that I have since went after.

It was my loss.

If GC feels the need to charge to keep their site afloat, so be it.

I don't think I miss much traffic for it being a MOC cache anyway.

I don't see it being that big of a deal. If you are interested in this hobby, then most generally you pony up the cash and become a premium anyway. No big loss.

Actually you are very wrong in that assumption.

People for the most part by nature are CHEAP and will do whatever they need to do to get stuff for free.

GC provides a service largely free, but then offers a side portion of the service for a small fee and only opens it to those that pay for it.

Good sites just get more abuse from those that are cheap!

You see a mostly free website site in which a portion of the experience is rudely excluded from non-paying members.

rudely? Nope, an assumption on your part.

You are annoyed that it’s not ALL free.

Another assumption

I see a site which costs money to run, yet instead of the owners charging for the entire experience as is their right, they give most of it away. I am happy that ANY of it is free.

I have a 'take' on things. I would never assume that I know how things should be run on gc.com. I give an opinion, a viewpoint on what I see, then I look for a response. Maybe I see another side or maybe I'm just given another hackneyed analogy.

Talk about the topic on hand and never, ever invite me out for ice cream.

People for the most part by nature are CHEAP and will do whatever they need to do to get stuff for free.

GC provides a service largely free, but then offers a side portion of the service for a small fee and only opens it to those that pay for it.

I has been my experience that gc.com has been expanding premium membership options rather than pushing for more PMO caches.

Perhaps I'm wrong.

I've had a few cachers admit to me that they became a premium member just to find some of my caches. They admitted that the added features were well worth the cost, and they are still PMs today. If I have alienated a cacher or two because my best caches are all PMOCs, I could care less. :anibad:

I've had a few cachers admit to me that they became a premium member just to find some of my caches. They admitted that the added features were well worth the cost, and they are still PMs today. If I have alienated a cacher or two because my best caches are all PMOCs, I could care less. :anibad:

It’s called an "analogy." It is a very valid and very effective tool for expressing or explaining one’s intended meaning. Maybe you should look up the word.

"I hate ice cream, so stop talking about it" is not an academically meaningful response to TrailGators’ analogy.

Contrary to the assumptions of Mushtang, I revisited this topic.

Not contrary at all. I only said you wouldn't come back and complain about the thread. I'm happy to see you being more tolerant of the topic and enjoying contributing to the conversation.

I've set a cache of mine to MO status once to check it out and see how the feature worked, but so far I haven't had a reason to keep one a MO cache. It's not something I see as elitist and I wouldn't hesitate to create an MO cache if I had a reason to.

It’s called an "analogy." It is a very valid and very effective tool for expressing or explaining one’s intended meaning. Maybe you should look up the word.

"I hate ice cream, so stop talking about it" is not an academically meaningful response to TrailGators’ analogy.

I would rather discuss the merits of PMOs.

As opposed to discussing the merits of PMOs? I am becoming more convinced that you really don't understand what an 'analogy' is.

Are you pulling my leg?

As opposed to discussing the merits of PMOs? I am becoming more convinced that you really don't understand what an 'analogy' is.

Are you pulling my leg?

You can PM me if you wish to discuss the definition or point of analogies. That discussion is not on topic.

However, I'm going to bed now and you wouldn't get a response until tomorrow.

You can PM me if you wish to discuss the definition or point of analogies. That discussion is not on topic.

Well in that case, then neither are comments like these:

I think that any ice cream analogy should result in an immediate 10 day ban.
Never, ever invite me out for ice cream.

As a new guy, let me tell you why I went premium about a week after signing up... to find the members only caches. Same reason for two of my geocaching buddies who signed up about the same time as me and I "sold" them on premium for no reason other than to be able to find more caches.

It seems that some of the "old timers" don't realize the excitement that a new cacher has about just figuring out how many and roughly where the caches are in their community. To know that there are caches out there that you can't see on the map (but you can see the names in the search results) is plenty enough incentive to get a new cacher to sign up. The cost is insignificant and wasn't even considered in the decision for me; heck I would have paid $60 (annual). After becoming premium, I found out about Queries and such cool stuff, so that was just a bonus. By the way, the cost of premium is only $2.50 per month, not the $3 everyone keeps citing. You can hardly buy a bottle of sports drink for $2.50, so the cost just is not an issue what-so-ever.

As for PMO cache listings, I have every intent to use them. In my mind, any complicated cache, especially if it's in an urban setting, will be PMO. A simple, easily repaired/replaced cache of a 2/2 or lower would be fine for open listing as I can deal with problems and if needed archive it without much heartache. If I put a lot of time into the hunt and/or containers, then PMO adds a little to protecting investment.

As a new guy, let me tell you why I went premium about a week after signing up... to find the members only caches. Same reason for two of my geocaching buddies who signed up about the same time as me and I "sold" them on premium for no reason other than to be able to find more caches.

It seems that some of the "old timers" don't realize the excitement that a new cacher has about just figuring out how many and roughly where the caches are in their community. To know that there are caches out there that you can't see on the map (but you can see the names in the search results) is plenty enough incentive to get a new cacher to sign up. The cost is insignificant and wasn't even considered in the decision for me; heck I would have paid $60 (annual). After becoming premium, I found out about Queries and such cool stuff, so that was just a bonus. By the way, the cost of premium is only $2.50 per month, not the $3 everyone keeps citing. You can hardly buy a bottle of sports drink for $2.50, so the cost just is not an issue what-so-ever.

As for PMO cache listings, I have every intent to use them. In my mind, any complicated cache, especially if it's in an urban setting, will be PMO. A simple, easily repaired/replaced cache of a 2/2 or lower would be fine for open listing as I can deal with problems and if needed archive it without much heartache. If I put a lot of time into the hunt and/or containers, then PMO adds a little to protecting investment.

Between, you, me and your two buddies there are four people that signed up because of PMOCs.

P.S. It's $3 if you only pay for one month. They give you two free months if you sign up for a year.

It's $3 if you only pay for one month. They give you two free months if you sign up for a year.

Didn't know that... but why would you only want to sign up for 1 month?

I believe they just recently changed it to 3 months/$10 for the minimum to join.

I usually make my caches MO just before archival because the audit log is interesting.

I have released two caches to date and hope to release a third in several days from now. In one of the threads that pertained to this subject, one cache from Pennsylvania had been raided and the owner ended up doing a MOC as a way to monitor who was looking at the cache page. My first cache was very expensive to set up and after reading the Pennsylvania post, decided that I would to the the MOC status for my own piece of mind. Since then, I have also realized that MOC status is a way to reward people for getting the premium membership. My second cache wasn't as expensive to set up, but I stuck with the MOC status for the rewarding members reasoning. I might take off the MOC status eventually to allow others to find it, and in that way, I reward members and offer it to non-members too.

heck I would have paid $60 (annual).
Some of us do anyway. :anibad:

Why have just one membership when you can get two for twice the price?

It's $3 if you only pay for one month. They give you two free months if you sign up for a year.
Didn't know that... but why would you only want to sign up for 1 month?
I believe they just recently changed it to 3 months/$10 for the minimum to join.

I usually make my caches MO just before archival because the audit log is interesting.

So you can choose to either pay $3.33 a month if you pay 3 months at a time, or $2.50 a month if you pay for 12 months at a time.