Tiki is heading to Colorado!

tiki

Aloha Folks!

Mr. and Ms. Tiki will be heading to Denver for a business trip in a few weeks (exact dates will be figured out shortly), and we are planning on extending our stay for a good 4 days for some Colorado campin' and cachin'! I'm going to pick through the Colorado thread with a fine tooth comb, but in the meantime if anyone has a good (and cheap) hotel/hostel/whatever to recommend in the Denver area for us to stay at during the "business" portion of our trip that would be great. We'll be living in a tent once the business portion of the trip is over.

We are also on the lookout for great caches to hit as well - nothing too death-defying! This trip kind of popped up out of the blue, and we totally can't wait to cache in a new state! I'm pressing up a fresh batch of clay tikicoins to take with us to drop in caches :anicute:

Mahalo,

Tiki

Aloha Folks!

Mr. and Ms. Tiki will be heading to Denver for a business trip in a few weeks (exact dates will be figured out shortly), and we are planning on extending our stay for a good 4 days for some Colorado campin' and cachin'! I'm going to pick through the Colorado thread with a fine tooth comb, but in the meantime if anyone has a good (and cheap) hotel/hostel/whatever to recommend in the Denver area for us to stay at during the "business" portion of our trip that would be great. We'll be living in a tent once the business portion of the trip is over.

We are also on the lookout for great caches to hit as well - nothing too death-defying! This trip kind of popped up out of the blue, and we totally can't wait to cache in a new state! I'm pressing up a fresh batch of clay tikicoins to take with us to drop in caches :anicute:

Mahalo,

Tiki

Welcome to Colorado (in a few weeks)!

I sure hope you're not here during the DNC; you may be camping the entire trip!

Where in the Denver area will you be? There's plenty of suggestions out there, but those all depend on where you need to be for business.

As for caches, there are PLENTY of beautiful hikes, caches, and scenery here in Colorado. Where are you planning on camping?

Aloha Folks!

Mahalo,

Tiki

If your trip ends up like mine, I suggest loading up on earthcaches. There are a few in downtown Denver if your travel is limited to short distances, I especially liked (GCMQGG). I am sure there are plenty of regular caches to get too, but I will let the more recent locals guide you on those :cute:

Aloha everyone -

Thanks for the replies. Our tickets are booked and so is our little SUV! Looks like we are heading along the following path -

Sept. 6th: head out of Denver somewhere to the west. We could even just go into Boulder and spend the night while we explore and hit caches all around. That's the plan but we are having a hard time finding CHEAP places to stay. Mrs. Tiki is limiting the budget to $50 per night. :wub:

Sept. 7th: continue the west direction, might even go south west and head down to Idaho Springs or something. They only reason I say that is because we were planning to stay in Nederland (caching on the way there and in the area) but can't find anything under $100 a night! We are even thinking of heading down towards Cripple Creek and then hitting Boulder area on our way back into Denver. (not brining our tent along due to cold, luggage issues and our fear of it getting lost on the way there or back.)

Sept. 8th: stay somewhere in Colorado. :wub: No seriously - somewhere up the Peak to Peak Drive near RMNP but not quite in Estes yet. No clue where to stay.

Sept. 9th: Would love to stay at the Stanley but it's pricey. And would love to stay at the YMCA Rocky Mountain place too! But there is a $53/night KOA kabin with our name on it.

Sept. 10th: Same KOA Kabin in Estes.

Sept. 11th drive down to Denver (stop in Boulder?) and stay at Melbourne Hotel/Hostel in Downtown.

Sept. 12th 6am check out. Barf. Fly home...ALOHA!

So we need some help with the first few days. We'd happily stay someplace on the 6th and 7th to allow us to explore the area and not have to drive all over the place. Maybe Cripple Creek KOA? It's got another $53/night kabin with our name on it. Can't beat it! And we could see Pike's Peak and some funky train in a gorge near that as well as the caches in the area.

If we do that (which is totally cool with us) the question is - where do we stay in the Nederland-ish area so that we can hit the cool ghost town caches. Or can we do all those caches on Peak to Peak Road/Drive in a day and just add an extra day onto Estes? That would give us plenty of time to explore RMNP.

No idea how long it will take us to do the driving + the caches so I'm not sure where we need a place to stay or not. Any suggestions would be greatly apprciated. Again - budget is around $50 per night. No more than $60.

Oh and what is gas running per gallon over there? It's about $4.30 here.

Thank you!

Aloha everyone -

Thanks for the replies. Our tickets are booked and so is our little SUV! Looks like we are heading along the following path -

Sept. 6th: head out of Denver somewhere to the west. We could even just go into Boulder and spend the night while we explore and hit caches all around. That's the plan but we are having a hard time finding CHEAP places to stay. Mrs. Tiki is limiting the budget to $50 per night. :wub:

Sept. 7th: continue the west direction, might even go south west and head down to Idaho Springs or something. They only reason I say that is because we were planning to stay in Nederland (caching on the way there and in the area) but can't find anything under $100 a night! We are even thinking of heading down towards Cripple Creek and then hitting Boulder area on our way back into Denver. (not brining our tent along due to cold, luggage issues and our fear of it getting lost on the way there or back.)

Sept. 8th: stay somewhere in Colorado. :wub: No seriously - somewhere up the Peak to Peak Drive near RMNP but not quite in Estes yet. No clue where to stay.

Sept. 9th: Would love to stay at the Stanley but it's pricey. And would love to stay at the YMCA Rocky Mountain place too! But there is a $53/night KOA kabin with our name on it.

Sept. 10th: Same KOA Kabin in Estes.

Sept. 11th drive down to Denver (stop in Boulder?) and stay at Melbourne Hotel/Hostel in Downtown.

Sept. 12th 6am check out. Barf. Fly home...ALOHA!

So we need some help with the first few days. We'd happily stay someplace on the 6th and 7th to allow us to explore the area and not have to drive all over the place. Maybe Cripple Creek KOA? It's got another $53/night kabin with our name on it. Can't beat it! And we could see Pike's Peak and some funky train in a gorge near that as well as the caches in the area.

If we do that (which is totally cool with us) the question is - where do we stay in the Nederland-ish area so that we can hit the cool ghost town caches. Or can we do all those caches on Peak to Peak Road/Drive in a day and just add an extra day onto Estes? That would give us plenty of time to explore RMNP.

No idea how long it will take us to do the driving + the caches so I'm not sure where we need a place to stay or not. Any suggestions would be greatly apprciated. Again - budget is around $50 per night. No more than $60.

Oh and what is gas running per gallon over there? It's about $4.30 here.

Thank you!

Sounds like you are getting things covered. I wish I could help on the Nederland area but I am not close to there.

Fuel price for 85 octane is as low as $3.69. The mountain areas will be more but at this time and I would say no higher than $4.20

Night temps will be dropping soon. The higher peaks have alrady had their first dusting of snow but that is melting off.

Have you googled hostels for the Nederland/Boulder area?

>Nederland International Hostel

8 Boulder St

Boulder, CO 80302

(303) 258-7788<

8 Boulder St

Boulder, CO 80302

(303) 258-7788<

Thanks for the info on the cold and gas!

I did see that Hostel listed but can't find a web site for it. Guess I'll have to do it the old fashioned way - dial a phone number! :yikes: Just like to see pictures sometimes too! :P

Thanks again!

8 Boulder St

Boulder, CO 80302

(303) 258-7788<

Thanks for the info on the cold and gas!

I did see that Hostel listed but can't find a web site for it. Guess I'll have to do it the old fashioned way - dial a phone number! :yikes: Just like to see pictures sometimes too! :P

Thanks again!

http://nederland0.tripod.com/sitebuilderco...s/nedhostel.jpg

Edited by zoltig