feature request Add a notification option

hopefulpundit

If you want to be notified when a particular travel bug is dropped, simply add it to your watchlist.

But what I think you mean is that you want to be notified when a trackable is dropped in a particular cache. A TB drop always requires a new log (that is, you can't edit an old log and drop a trackable). Watching the cache should work.

If you want to be notified when a particular travel bug is dropped, simply add it to your watchlist.

But what I think you mean is that you want to be notified when a trackable is dropped in a particular cache. A TB drop always requires a new log (that is, you can't edit an old log and drop a trackable). Watching the cache should work.

Yeah, i read you, but my point was/is this where i live in west l.a, there are about 50 + caches in about a 1 mile area thats a large number of cache to be keep checking on. If you are near ones that get a large number of visits imagine what your inbox (or in my case my cellphone inbox) will be like. Maybe with some tweaking of the trackables page a system can be set up so when one drops a tb/gc regardless of which cache its in one can get notified. And just like you can set up some parameters for a new cache notification you can do the same for drops i.e. Notify within 3 miles

Edited by hopefulpundit

O.K. here's an idea. We'll make it a geocaching 2.0 community project. We could have a tb/gc drop report page. All it would take is for the person who is dropping the trackable to report (via cache code) the drop. The coords are a known factor and anybody who wanted to be notified of a drop say within 3 miles of your home coordinates would get a notification. Obviously not everyone will take the time to do so but as per the warning on the notification page this system is not a subsitution for doing your own due diligence but a handy tool to make your caching a less laborious endeavor

O.K. here's an idea. We'll make it a geocaching 2.0 community project. We could have a tb/gc drop report page. All it would take is for the person who is dropping the trackable to report (via cache code) the drop. The coords are a known factor and anybody who wanted to be notified of a drop say within 3 miles of your home coordinates would get a notification. Obviously not everyone will take the time to do so but as per the warning on the notification page this system is not a subsitution for doing your own due diligence but a handy tool to make your caching a less laborious endeavor

Given how difficult it is to just get people to log bug pickups and dropoffs the normal way, I seriously doubt you'd get many people to do this additional voluntary logging as well.

It would probably be much easier for you to just set up a PQ to list all bug-containing caches within a certain radius of your house, and preview it whenever you want.

Given how difficult it is to just get people to log bug pickups and dropoffs the normal way, I seriously doubt you'd get many people to do this additional voluntary logging as well.

It would probably be much easier for you to just set up a PQ to list all bug-containing caches within a certain radius of your house, and preview it whenever you want.

I can do that .i didn't think of that possibility. I just didnt want to set up a watch list and get deluged with a bunch of found it/ didnt find it logs