The Silent Millionth Cache Page Milestone (GC1GBC0)

br10ta10

You probably weren't aware of this, but someone just consumed the millionth cache page. According to FizzyCalc (google for it, it's cool!), GC1GBC0 is the millionth GC waypoint number.

I'm curious to see who owns that. Hopefully, they'll publish it soon. Do they even realize it? Only time will tell.

I Googled FizzyCalc and the description says that is used to convert coordinates between formats and to project coordinates from one point.

How does that function tell you what cache pages exist that haven't yet been published? :)

There is a secret Easter Egg on the page. If you left-click once, and in the correct order, on three header features on the page, you will be taken to the Transcendental Calculator Page, which offers an updated count, updated four times per minute, of how many GC cache waypoint IDs have been issued, along with the actual waypoint IDs for the most recent one hundred, each bearing a flag showing whether they have yet been published.

I think.

:D

:anicute:

I Googled FizzyCalc and the description says that is used to convert coordinates between formats and to project coordinates from one point.

It also converts a "GC Waypoint Number" which is in base 31 (numbers, and most letters except for ILOSU) into a base 10 number.

How does that function tell you what cache pages exist that haven't yet been published? :)

I just used geocaching.com for that. Query for a GC number on the GC home page, it if says "Unpublished", the number hasn't been assigned yet. If you get "Error Occurred" and "Sorry, you cannot view this cache listing until it has been published", the GC number has been assigned, but the cache page hasn't been approved.

Its author is apparently far too modest in promoting it. :anicute:

It has several additional features useful to cachers: it converts back and forth between GC waypoint codes and numbers, and it also does checksums on coordinates. In addition, it will tell you where the WAAS satellites are in the sky.

I've been toying with putting in some kind of triangulation functions but I can't think of a good user interface. I am also toying with the idea of doing the GUI in Python using Tkinter to make it available on more platforms.

There is a secret Easter Egg on the page. If you left-click once, and in the correct order, on three header features on the page, you will be taken to the Transcendental Calculator Page, which offers an updated count, updated four times per minute, of how many GC cache waypoint IDs have been issued, along with the actual waypoint IDs for the most recent one hundred, each bearing a flag showing whether they have yet been published.

I think.

:anicute:

:)

Well I would like to know if this does work

any other hints