Should it stay or should it go?

dragondrop

I placed a cache near my house. There's been an incident whereby a geocacher came across some parasites (for want of a better word) who reportedly displayed threatening to the geocache hunter. Nothing 'too bad' ie nothing physical occurred but still all threatening behaviour like this is bad.

It's put me in a but of a quandary of what to do - I've gone with option c./ from the below.. I'd be interested to know what others would do face with this responsibility.

a./ take down the cache

b./ report this incident to the authorities*

c./ put a warning on the listing

d./ other

I've gone with c./

* RE: b./ I don't think this would help anything - nothing illegal has happened / I'm not the person who it happened to.

The cache is here : http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...4a-7907d42a9039

Edited by dragondrop

If something like that happened to someone that was hunting my cache, I would definately take it down. In my opinion, if you have to be that secretive as to not attract muggles then I wouldn't be looking for it. And if I have to worry about some punks causing trouble, I definately wouldn't be in that area.

IMO, caches are supposed to be for pleasure, not wondering what is going to transpire or happen to me as a hunter.

And I most certainly will not search for a cache that I have to constantly watch my back. either for trouble or muggles.

Just my opinions.

Edited by Brassine Family

Could this have been an isolated incident and not the norm for this area? Is the cache placed to bring people to a particular spot - historic, or a cool hide or really nice scenery? Is it worth keeping it up if people feel intimidated? If the parasites found the cache would it be gone 2 minutes later? I think it's a good idea that you posted the note to the cache page and let people make up their own minds. I'm a pretty sizeable guy and wouldn't be intimidated as much as say a 13 year old kid trying to have a good time caching for the afternoon.

I saw a similar note posted to a cache that is fairly local to me. I appreciated that the note was there so I would know what to expect when I arrived and could keep an eye out. I'm not familiar with the particular area that this cache is located, but would hope that the "looking over my shoulder" part of the hunt will not be more memorable than the "find" part of the hunt.

All caches have their own challenges. In rural areas it's mud, wildlife etc. In urban areas it's the local inhabitants in all their guises. It's down to the cache seeker to assess the potential challenges and either adjust their approach or pass on the cache.

I wouldn't expect a rural cache to be removed due to a single incident where a cacher was scared by a bee or a wasp. I wouldn't expect an urban cache be removed for what I view a similar minor incident that goes with the territory.

Threatening behaviour is very subjective. Personally I'd brush such a challenge off by telling them that "It's a good job I'm not from the council then" :laughing: Sadly others are so fearful of youth that they'll walk away at the mere sight of a hoodie. It's all part of the variety of life, I'd let the cache stand unless things escalate quite seriously.

Maybe I’m just an ignorant American but…What does “"Are you from the Council" mean

Unless you know the area is prone to ‘violence’ I say leave it up. I’ve done caches where I don’t feel 100% comfortable with the locals. It’s the cachers responsibility to use their own judgment. UNLESS, you know it is a dangerous area – leave it.

Thanks for all the input folks - pretty much firms up what I'd already thought - leave it there but give warning on the description (now added). It's not an area known for violence or crime particularly - it's 'safe'. It's a bit of an 'un checked' area though - kids love these kind of areas where ever they are in the world - I'd guess it's just some young punks enjoying the freedom of an area away from the watchful eye of mum/cctv/police etc..

Maybe I’m just an ignorant American but…What does “"Are you from the Council" mean

The 'Council' refers to the organisation who 'run' the town - decision of land usage, roads, schools etc - the 'Local Authority'. They do not have policing power or anything like that - there is a bit of animosity for car users sometimes (the usual - parking related) nothing major though... Quite a random / surreal comment.

As already mentioned-if this area isn't normally prone to safety concerns, then your brief warning on the cache page is enough.

It sounds like the location has some historical interest, even if there is some trash nearby, so it is a cache worthy location, and not just a random one.

It is up to the seeker of the cache to determine their own comfort level with the inherent dangers of looking for caches, urban or out in the wilds.

Well, first, as others have pointed out, a great many urban hides, particularly in older areas of older industrial cities, carry some degree of hazard regarding possibilities of mugging, being murdered, etc., and frankly, most urban denizens, including cachers who are urban denizens, are already quite well aware of those risks. And, are those risks much different from the risks one runs in a wilderness area of being attacked by a bear or mountain lion, being bitten by a venemous snake, falling down an abandoned mineshaft, or falling off a 600 foot cliff while hunting a cache?

So, bottom line for me, if it were my cache, is that I would not lose any sleep over these minor risks, and instead, I would simply make sure that the Terrain rating on my cache listing page was high enough to fully and adequatley rflet worst-case/worst-days dangers, and I would also make sure that my cache listing page also bears an appropriate text warning in the Description section about the particular urban hazards.

Well, first, as others have pointed out, a great many urban hides, particularly in older areas of older industrial cities, carry some degree of hazard regarding possibilities of mugging, being murdered, etc., and frankly, most urban denizens, including cachers who are urban denizens, are already quite well aware of those risks. And, are those risks much different from the risks one runs in a wilderness area of being attacked by a bear or mountain lion, being bitten by a venemous snake, falling down an abandoned mineshaft, or falling off a 600 foot cliff while hunting a cache?

So, bottom line for me, if it were my cache, is that I would not lose any sleep over these minor risks, and instead, I would simply make sure that the Terrain rating on my cache listing page was high enough to fully and adequatley rflet worst-case/worst-days dangers, and I would also make sure that my cache listing page also bears an appropriate text warning in the Description section about the particular urban hazards.

Ditto

Yes, and Vinny would do it in large font, 14 different colors with 36 paragraphs of warnings... :):lol:

Yes, and Vinny would do it in large font, 14 different colors with 36 paragraphs of warnings... :):lol:

and

"twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was"

My wife and I had a similar experience witha hide we placed last year. It was on county property, but a nearby landowner seemed to think it was his property and regularly accosted people while carrying a gun. We finally just archived the hide; we did not want cachers to have a negative experience while hunting one of our hides. But, as far as giving people choices goes, a warning is sufficient.

Okay, Vinny, since you specifically asked my opinion here... :ph34r: And, no, it's only a 60' cliff. Yes. I've met my share of bear. Almost stepped on one once. I think I saw a mountain lion once, though they are 'mythical' in New Jersey. Sure as heck looked like one to me!

Homeless camps are always fun, whether they be in NYC or Wildcat Mountain, NJ. I do think, however, that cachers should not hide caches near obvious homeless camps. I've found six or eight nearby. Did I mention the one with rats larger than some dogs???

Read of a cacher who got mugged about 8 PM on a weekday. Denizens know that that is not a good time to be in that park. Or most urban parks. Visitors might not be aware of that. A warning would be appropriate. A cacher who felt very intimidated at a remote urban cache... Nope. Not necessarily the safest place to be alone, though it can actually have a lot of muggles.

Cachers who found a butcher knife, or a gun, in the rock wall near where the cache was hidden. Hmm...

Rural, suburban and urban park setting where men go to meet other men. Okay, these can be a bit strange, but if you ignore the guy hitting on you they are usually perfectly safe. Ignore the condoms on the ground, and try not to stare. Other than that, they're usually safe.

But, no. These problems are not only urban. If these problems exist, then it is best to issue warnings on the cache page. Up to the cache seeker to decide if it's worth it.

Please do not look in abandon tree. It is not there. Looks like some homeless person is living there, because of this, please be aware of cache location as people have mentioned that the area was a little disgusting. I'd recommend bringing latex gloves (they should be standard with all geocachers) and hand sanitizer (another must have when geocaching).

For some reason, I decided not to search for the cache that includes this in the description. So, I am not sure what is so special about that location. And, frankly, I do not want to know. But, at least there was a warning.

Or, here's a nice maintainence on on a cache a few miles saway:

Please be judicious in planning your caching expedition. There ARE thorns, and local residents who aren't fortunate enough to have the hygiene practices that we all aspire to. On the other hand, we're definitely keeping it real with this cache....so YOU choose what you'd like to experience and teach your kids. I humbly decline to help you out with that. Thanks for seeking this challenging cache, and good luck!

We were wondering about the odd things we found buried in the leaves, including a folding chair. And only five TBs have been muggled from this cache. And we hve no inkling about what made this spot so special. Oh, well. There is a warning icluded.

So. To OP: If it's a nice spot, post a warning. "YOU choose what you would like to experience." If there's nothing especially interesting that could not be done somewhere else, then archive it.

Edited by Harry Dolphin