Feature Request: Add option to include/exclude user in PQ

Zop

Many of us will typically cache with another cacher but we will often stumble into a situation where cacher 1 will have already found a cache that the cacher 2 has not.

A feature to allow the generation a PQ that excludes caches already found by another user would be a huge benefit to those of us who cache in small groups or just want to keep it legal by not sharing PQ's and merging them into a single database.

Any chance of adding something like this into the PQ script?

A feature to allow the generation a PQ that excludes caches already found by or owned by another user would be a huge benefit to those of us who cache in small groups or just want to keep it legal by not sharing PQ's and merging them into a single database.

I'll second this request, assuming the ammendments I made above are incorporated.

(I think I've been watching too much political news lately.)

Where this feature really shines is in the planning stages because I always load all my unfounds no matter where I go. This feature would allow you to create PQs (that you never send) that you could view on the online map to help you plan. However, nowadays there are so many caches that it would take many PQs to pan many areas. This is why I wish this feature was an option on the online maps. Then you could quickly pan over large areas to find areas that you and your friends could go to.

You could do this with a GSAK macro. Load all the cachers' "my finds" into separate databases (or all into one, for that matter). Load the PQ of candidates into another GSAK database. In the macro, build a list of all caches found by any of the cachers, then delete them from the candidates DB. There's a macro available which will map the results.

Limitations include: 1) harder to browse a large area with maps than if it were implemented on gc.com, 2) covering a large area would require many PQs -- the usual problem but more severe since you are searching for a smaller subset of caches.

Edward

...Load all the cachers' "my finds"...

The only problem being that this method goes against the Terms of Use.

INATN is the best current solution.

But a Pocket Query option tied in with the Friends feature would be great.

No there's a macro that say's it's works by not violitaing the TOU. I'm not sure how it works but somehow it does with out sharing PQ's. I just can't think of what it's called at the moment and am too lazy to look it up, but there is one out there that does this without sharing your PQ's.

I had really hoped that this Feature Request would not turn into an argument about the TOU and other external tools that from my experience do not contain all the desired outcome.

This is a request for a new feature that would eliminate the need for such a work-around.

How about we stay on track here?

Edited by Zop
I had really hoped that this Feature Request would not turn into an argument about the TOU and other external tools that from my experience do not contain all the desired outcome.

This is a request for a new feature that would eliminate the need for such a work-around.

How about we stay on track here?

Absolutely. Go to the other topic for the tangent discussion please.

It seems like I remember something being discussed a while back about some functionality being included in the 2.0 release that would allow something like this (I think) in conjunction with the "My Friends" function.

I think geocaching.com v2 is a code name for Sasquatch. Often rumored to exist, some claim to have seen it, proof of the existence is "coming soon", etc. Hopefully one day, we'll see the mythical beast. (v2 that is, I don't really care if Sasquatch comes out of the woods as long as it doesn't bother my ammo cans)

I agree that this would be a useful feature to add to the PQs.

I think geocaching.com v2 is a code name for Sasquatch. Often rumored to exist, some claim to have seen it, proof of the existence is "coming soon", etc. Hopefully one day, we'll see the mythical beast. (v2 that is, I don't really care if Sasquatch comes out of the woods as long as it doesn't bother my ammo cans)

I agree that this would be a useful feature to add to the PQs.

I sometimes wonder how many of these discussions are discussing things that are already in the works. It would be nice to know if this feature is going to be included with V2, codename Sasquatch. :)

I do hope this feature is in the works, it would be of major use to me.

The other thing, can you imagine trying to plan a days caching with someone who's got 15,000+ finds, especially if you'd got that high yourself, its entirely possible that running a full weeks PQs then filtering out their results later would result in you being left with a driveby micro that was placed yesterday and that underwater cache you've been wishing you could learn to swim to get to.

It would also be fun to arrange a competition with another cacher where you designate an area of caches, eliminate your finds, then compete with each other to see who can find the most, but the twist is that only the first to log it gets to claim it, so each others finds would be knocked off the PQ results each day until just a couple are left.

Edited by Volvo Man

I would just like to say that I like this suggestion. I dont think that the solution via GSAK matters, because this is a gc.com forum.

And following up on the above makes me think... Does anyone know anything about V2 dates or stuff that will be different with that?

GC.com have anything to say on that?

Jesper - Denmark