Proxy Geocoins

Landsergruppe

just wondering what other cachers thoughts are on 'proxy geocoins'. I mean the type of 'geocoin' where the owner has sent out just a picture of the coin with the coin number and has kept the geocoin at home. I personally don't like the idea. If we could all do it then why bother with getting coins, just get a picture and a number and send that out! I buy two of the coins, send one out and keep the other for my collection. There is one I know of doing the rounds at the moment (in fact sitting in front of me at the moment). I for one prefer to find a real geocoin, not a laminated printout.

I know of a cacher who has over 70 geocoins which are all proxies

Hi there landsergruppe - this has been the centre of lots of discussion. The "I don't want to lose my coin" camp vs. the "I don't like thinking I'm going to find a coin when all I see is this paper!" camp.

You will find many threads on the topic if you try to do a search. A recent one I found for you is:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=204791

Thought you might like to read through what others think.

Oh, and welcome to the forums! :lol:

I rate the proxy issue along a scale. On one end is the cache with the icon to a coin actually in residence < :D >. On the other end is a cache with loads of icons but no coins < ;) >. In the middle is the proxy issue < :) >. Not very satisfying but a whole lot better than nothing. Compared to coins missing for months that neither cache owner or coin owner can be bothered to mark as such, or coins that don't get logged out of cache for weeks by cachers who don't care and never mind the cache pirate who watches caches just to steal coins as soon as they are dropped off I'd have to say that proxies are just not that big a deal. But that's me. ;)

You know if you don't like proxies that much you can just leave them be. Copy down the tracking number to log a discovery and take the icon for your profile. No need to move it if it's unsatisfying to you.

You might also want to contact the cacher near you with the 70 proxies and ask him/her to be clear about their travelers and include the word PROXY in the coins' names so when you next see an icon next to a cache near you you'll be forewarned. Still it won't guarantee the coin will actually be in the cache, yanno. :P