Garmin Venture Hc

Uniteddads

Hi all Uniteddads here wanted to start a topic specifically for Garmin Venture HC owners, or future owners. I have to say I love this little GPS. Have a I had anything else, no. Just the basic Garmin Etrex HC (which is also ok). Now I am not into all the whistles and bells, however while I am hiking, or geocaching I cannot see what else I would need. Later on down the road maybe, but man this little thing is awesome. I never lose signal, its easy to use not bulky and accurate. Well hopefully we can get some conversations going on here about this cool unit. Until then have a great night. Uniteddads :)

I just bought one myself, didn't want to splurge on a GPSr until I know what I may need, and this one looks more than adequate for now. I got the Garmin carry case for it as well.

There's a thread with some information about updating the firmware (actually, about some problems encountered with updating) and how to access the diagnostics screen.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=206913

I guess this GPSr is not very exciting to most reviewers - I did not find many sites talking about it. But for a casual geocacher I can't think of a better buy - at least, not from Garmin.

I also have a Venture HC and feel the same way about it. It's my first GPSr so I don't have experience with other units to compare it to, but for my needs it's like it was custom-designed for me.

One thing - if you're running unit software version 2.7 there is a slight bug with the odometer not reporting accurate distances. It doesn't agree with the distance reported by autotrack after a hike. It's sometimes as much as 15% off on the high side.

Unit software version 2.8 fixes this. You can install a little app in Windows called Garmin Web Updater that lets you connect your unit, check for updates, then download the update to your unit, all in one very easy process. Here's the link:

http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp

Once you've installed Web Updater, connect your unit with the USB cable, turn it on, and start the program. It'll walk you through it :)

I also have a Venture HC - didn't want to spend any money, wanted to start caching. Paid $117 shipped from Amazon (they're down to under $115 now) and could not be happier. Is it the last GPSr I will own? Probably not, but it is a very good starter unit. It took me about two trips out to be able to use it without even thinking about it, the button layout is nice and simple. I also started using my iPod for loading caches, allowing me to be paperless.

Before I checked Amazon, I was leaning towards getting an Etrex H locally. Glad I checked...

I had a Venture HC .... for half an hour. Then I boxed it up and sent it back.

This isn't a knock on it. I liked absolutely everything about it. The problem, for me, was that there wasn't quite enough to it. I found that the internal memory didn't hold enough map data for me, especially when loading really detailed topos. So I sent it back and got a Legend HCx. It's just the Venture HC with a micro-SD card slot. So now I have all the goodness of the Venture HC plus the ability to load up all the map data I want.

I use it more for bopping about on my mountain bike than for caching. The Venture HC is ideal for someone who doesn't care about the map data.

...ken...

Hi all Uniteddads here wanted to start a topic specifically for Garmin Venture HC owners, or future owners. I have to say I love this little GPS. Have a I had anything else, no. Just the basic Garmin Etrex HC (which is also ok). Now I am not into all the whistles and bells, however while I am hiking, or geocaching I cannot see what else I would need. Later on down the road maybe, but man this little thing is awesome. I never lose signal, its easy to use not bulky and accurate. Well hopefully we can get some conversations going on here about this cool unit. Until then have a great night. Uniteddads ;)

well i have had alot of the top of the line gps an i have went with the Venture Hc an just love it. works flawlessly. the update went just like clock work on mine. anyway just my two cents worth.

Edited by ricstone

I have both a Venture H and Venture HC. I'm on my second HC after trying to update the firmware via the web updater. Everything went well, the download, the connect, but something hung up part way through the upgrade. I let it sit thinking it would correct itself eventually, but it didn't. So I had a dead HC. I called Garmin support four times, waiting on the phone for over 40 minutes each time, then went to the website. I got a response finally and sent it in and received a replacement. I guess there's some sort of master reset, but I was never told what it is.

I love the HC, connects to my Mac Powerbook with no problems except it doesn't communicate with mac caching. I can download individual caches via Garmin communicator, but would really like to have the option to send a complete query.

Attempts to connect the Venture H to a Mac are frustrating. After purchasing the serial connector, and two different serial adapters I still can't get it connected. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

The HC is great, cheap and usb connected out of the box. I use my iPod for paperless caching (mac cacher handles that).

I have both a Venture H and Venture HC. I'm on my second HC after trying to update the firmware via the web updater. Everything went well, the download, the connect, but something hung up part way through the upgrade. I let it sit thinking it would correct itself eventually, but it didn't. So I had a dead HC. I called Garmin support four times, waiting on the phone for over 40 minutes each time, then went to the website. I got a response finally and sent it in and received a replacement. I guess there's some sort of master reset, but I was never told what it is.

I love the HC, connects to my Mac Powerbook with no problems except it doesn't communicate with mac caching. I can download individual caches via Garmin communicator, but would really like to have the option to send a complete query.

Attempts to connect the Venture H to a Mac are frustrating. After purchasing the serial connector, and two different serial adapters I still can't get it connected. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

The HC is great, cheap and usb connected out of the box. I use my iPod for paperless caching (mac cacher handles that).

Hi folks, The Venture is a killer unit, Venture owners have no reason to hang their heads low. Ventures are such stellar performers that I gave a pair of them to my adult kids for Christmas last year. I have moved on up the bells and whistles food chain and from time to time have pined for the Venture. Hold your heads and units high as your Ventures out perform some of the high end creampuff duds out there in Geo-Land. As to the Garmins and their willingness to talk Mac. >> I simply threw in the towel; the frustration was turning a fun activity into grief. Yanked the old PC out of the boneyard and away we went. CACHE ON VENTURE WARRIORS

I hope this thread can be a collection of tips and tricks with the Venture HC.

To start off, I came across this in one of the earlier threads. Specifically, it is about the ability to customize your splash screen (the screen that shows the Garmin logo when you first switch it on - not the welcome text).

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;#entry3666518

I know, pretty pointless, doesn't add to the functionality. But on the other hand, it's a fun thing to do and doesn't take away any functionality.

Just for kicks, I added the geocaching.com logo to my Garmin to see if it works. Use MS Paint - I tried doing it using Photoshop and xImage didn't like it. In the end, I had to open the edited image in Paint, copy it, open the original image in Paint, paste the edited image over the original, save it, and it worked.

Edited by Chrysalides

I to have a Venture Hc and I am also on my second one. Something hung up during the software upgrade. Garmin had to send me a new one. Kind of annoying. I dont even want to attempt a firmware upgrade now because I dont want to be without my GPS for hunting season.

One question I have so far is, I go out into the woods mark a few points come back out of the woods and save my track and shut off the unit. I will drive across town turn the unit back on to mark some waypoints in a different spot and when I save the track this time It will draw a straight line across the map from the last place the gps was turned on. I hope this makes sense.

How do I stop that? When I save a track shouldnt that be the end of it?

I have just started using the Venture Hc and so far am liking it. I am just getting use to using it. I know that I am not using all of it's potential at this point. I am able to click the send to GPS from the caches on geocaching.com using my Mac and that was important to me. That and the USB connection.