Can I reserve a place for my geocaches?

Cav Scout

I don't know if there is a thread on this or not and have not been able to locate any information on this.

I would like to know if I can place a traditional geocache and request not to have it activated/published for a month or so. Can this prevent other cachers from placing their own geocaches within the minimum allowable space near mine even if their geocache is in place and ready to be activated.

How long can my un activated geocache be in place before I loose the rights for that spot? Whats the time limit?

Anyone know?

Edited by Cav Scout

The spot is yours the moment you create a new cache page, even if it's not published.

BUT if there are stages to a multi or the final of a mystery within the minimum allowable distance from the spot you have chosen, you will not be notified and you will probably end up working on a cool cache for a month before being denied because your cache is too close to another.

So ask your local reviewer if that spot is OK, then take your time to create your cache, then publish it.

The spot is yours the moment you create a new cache page, even if it's not published.

Are you sure about that? I didn't think reviewers could see a cache if its not in their queue.

Unpublished, disabled caches do show with regard to proximity. You do not have an unlimited time to hold that place though. The reviewer will tell you to move it along if someone else creates a new cache too close to that spot. There is no set time frame. You can bet that you will start seeing reviewer notes on the cache daily saying "Are we there yet?". If no one places a cache too close to it though, you have as much time as you want while it is unpublished and disabled since it won't be in the queue. The day someone places a cache too close to it though, the clock starts ticking.

Are you sure about that? I didn't think reviewers could see a cache if its not in their queue.

Unpublished, disabled caches do show with regard to proximity. You do not have an unlimited time to hold that place though. The reviewer will tell you to move it along if someone else creates a new cache too close to that spot. There is no set time frame. You can bet that you will start seeing reviewer notes on the cache daily saying "Are we there yet?". If no one places a cache too close to it though, you have as much time as you want while it is unpublished and disabled since it won't be in the queue. The day someone places a cache too close to it though, the clock starts ticking.

Thanks for the info - that's very useful! Good doggy! ;)

Thanks