60CSx or 60Cx

tnfishdaddy

Do I really need the features of the CSx or will the 60Cx be just fine? Also, what map do I need to buy with it to navigate streets? I would like turn by turn. Also while we are at it, what other accessories are must haves? Who makes the best car mount? I would like to place one order and want to make sure I get everything I need.

Do I really need the features of the CSx or will the 60Cx be just fine? Also, what map do I need to buy with it to navigate streets? I would like turn by turn. Also while we are at it, what other accessories are must haves? Who makes the best car mount? I would like to place one order and want to make sure I get everything I need.

Only you can answer if you need the features that the CSx offers that are not in the Cx model. For myself, I can tell you that the electronic compass pointing to the cache even when I am not moving is a definite "must have" feature that you get with the CSx that is not there in the Cx.

As for your maps, you will be wanting the City Navigator maps for your area. The Cx or CSx either one can use the NT or non-NT variants of the City Navigator maps, but the NT variant compresses the data so it uses less space on your micro-SD card. IIRC, the continental US 948 states) takes about 960MB using the 2009 NT maps.

For mounts, I have had good luck with the RAM mounts I have used, and have heard many others swear by them (rather than swear at them).

If you have an REI store near you, you could consider making your purchases there. They will be more expensive than buying on-line but I hear they have a very liberal return policy so you could buy the CSx model and try it out. Try using it with the compass on and then compare that to having the Compass off. When caching, I have found the electronic compass to be the one feature which separates the two models. If you find that you prefer the compass on, them keep the CSx, and if you don't need it on, return the CSx and buy a Cx. If you choose to do this, don't install your maps until you decide which GPSr you are going to keep, as the maps will be locked to the GPSr so locking them to a GPSr you may be returning wold not be a good thing...

Do I really need the features of the CSx or will the 60Cx be just fine?

Do you "need" the compass? By no means -- lots and lots of cachers operate without a compass. The 60CSx has settings that turn the compass off/on automatically based on how fast you are moving and for how long. The default settings are terrible and often turn the compass on when you are moving which caused the pointer arrow to behave erratically. I think this is a big reason why many cachers don't like/use units with a compass. I adjusted my settings and have no issues.

compass_auto.jpg

The other issue with the compass is that it requires calibration every time the batteries are changed. This process is simple and only takes a few seconds but it seems to drive a lot of people crazy -- if you forget to do it you will get some really weird readings sometimes.

I personally like having a unit with a compass. I figure if I have a unit with a compass I can always turn it off, either manually or automatically but if I have a unit without a compass there is nothing I can do to add that functionality. (Other than carrying a simple magnetic compass, that is!) If price is a big factor you can go with the 60Cx and be happy, other than when you are standing still.

Also while we are at it, what other accessories are must haves?

Since you mention on-road navigation, I think getting a good 12V adapter is important. I find when using my 60CSx for navigation I like to have the backlight on full for best visibility and that will chew through the batteries like crazy. Plug the GPSr into the 12V on the car and it isn't an issue.