How far is cache from "ground zero"?

NotHerbert

Newbie here. I have had one successful find, but attempted a four-stage multi-cache last weekend and went 0 for 4! My question is: what is the typical variance from "ground zero" for placement of caches? In other words, I was standing exactly where my eTrex told me the cache would be found, and was looking in a "several foot" radius around that area. Should I widen my search? Is it common for caches to be location within 30, 50 or even 100 feet of a posted coordinate? (that sounds a bit wide, given the supposed precision of the GPS). What IS a "reasonable" radius to include in your search for caches? THANKS!

A cache location is only as good as the coords that the cache owner input. Generally tho, if coords are significantly off, and this cache has been found several times, the folks who found it would be mentioning that in their logs. I was FTF on a local cache that ended up being some 100 yards off from the coords. CO admitted he made a mistake and fixed them. Most cachers will start at what they see as GZ and work outward, eyeing up possible hide locations.

Good luck!

deb3day

Most GPS units are accurate to within about 30 feet (15 feet or so with a good WAAS lock)(and yes I know these numbers are not exact, I'm just estimating), so theoretically if the cache owner placed the cache with his/her GPS unit and only had a 30 foot accuracy, and then you come along with your GPS that only has 30 foot accuracy. Technically you could be 60 feet away from the cache. But most likely 30-45 feet is about what I have seen, in all the caches I have found (yeah i know its not that many). Only 1 cache was way off from the coordinates, and it required a second visit, with 2 additional GPS units to help triangulate its location. Even with 3 GPS units, the location provided by the CO as compared to those looking for the cache, seemed to be off by about 20 feet.

In general our handheld GPS units have an accuracy in the 20-25 foot range. You will find most caches inside that radius from ground zero but occasionally you find them up to 60 foot away or so. The variations in sat positions and other errors can easily occur. Add the hiders potential error and the finders and you can easily picture having to increase your search radius to find anything.

Learn to use your gps to get within about 20 foot of GZ and then put it away and start looking at likely hiding spots. You will find caches faster that way.

Newbie here. I have had one successful find, but attempted a four-stage multi-cache last weekend and went 0 for 4! My question is: what is the typical variance from "ground zero" for placement of caches? In other words, I was standing exactly where my eTrex told me the cache would be found, and was looking in a "several foot" radius around that area. Should I widen my search? Is it common for caches to be location within 30, 50 or even 100 feet of a posted coordinate? (that sounds a bit wide, given the supposed precision of the GPS). What IS a "reasonable" radius to include in your search for caches? THANKS!

My experience when looking at the GPS and standing above the cache.

0'. Cool. Doesn't happen often.

10' Not too shappy. Happens often enough.

20' About par. What I see most often.

30' Hmmm...wonder if the coords are off. Doesn't happen often, but not unheard of.

50'+ Coord are off. Happens about as often as 0'.

Also, "ground zero" can change by as much as 30-ft just while you're there looking as your receiver "settles in" (some receivers use a form of averaging when you're standing still).

I arrived at GZ once for a 5-star micro, set the receiver on a stump, and settled in to start looking. About 20-minutes later I glanced at the receiver which said that GZ was 30-ft away. So I moved and re-centered my search. I still haven't found that cache...

Ambitious, trying a 4 part multi before even finding any traditional caches.

Parts of multi's can be about the smallest things you will ever see. I would turn off the GPS when in the general vacinity of each of those parts and use my eyes, and fingers sometimes. The human processor is much more important than some electronics.

Keep a couple other factors in mind. Tree cover or nearby hills can affect accuracy. If you are in a forested valley, you might as well sit down and have lunch. It's going to take a while for the GPSr to stop jumping around. What unit you are using is important too. The newer models are much more accurate than an older one.

That being said, the operator has a lot to do with it too. On a good day, a good geocacher, with a good GPSr, could find a dime on a football field.

I'd say about 80 percent of the time the cache is within 30 feet of where the GPS says it is. Once in a while you'd be dead on it and once in a while you could be 60+ feet off. 10-30 feet is the norm however.

That's about the best wrap up that I've seen. Once you get to within about 20-30 feet, put yourself in Easter Egg Hunt mode, and just start looking for things out of place.

"Where would I hide something"

As a rule of thumb 10 meters (about 30 feet) is correct. There are variables though. Under trees or power lines will effect your signal. Also, the experience of the CO who placed it should be considered. If it's his 1st placement, it may be off a bit but if this person has several stashes published, well, you can consider him or her more accurate.

Also, get into the habit of looking at the latest logs to see if other posted DNF's or notes about coord being off. That will help.

Finally, you will soon develop what we call "geo-sense". At times as you approach a cache site you will pick out a pile of rocks or sticks that tells you to look.

Good luck and welcome aboard!