"Scenic" Lamppost and Guardrail caches

Kit Fox

Since lamppost and guardrail caches are the "whipping boy" for lame, uninspired hides. I'd like to raise the bar, and ask other geocachers to provide photos and links to guardrail, and lamppost caches that are actually hidden in a scenic locations.

I've yet to find any that meet the thread requirements yet. :blink:

Edited by Kit Fox
Since lamppost and guardrail caches are the "whipping boy" for lame, uninspired hides. I'd like to raise the bar, and ask other geocachers to provide photos and links to guardrail, and lamppost caches that are actually hidden in a scenic locations.

Your premise seems to be that a cache may only be considered inspired, enjoyable, or in any other way worthy of existence if it is "hidden in a scenic location."

I’ve yet to be convinced of that premise. Can you convince me?

Your premise seems to be that a cache may only be considered inspired, enjoyable, or in any other way worthy of existence if it is "hidden in a scenic location."

So do you have any pictures of scenic lamppost or guardrail caches, or do you wish to go on your "usual" tangent?

I've yet to find any that meet the thread requirements yet. :laughing:

So do you have any pictures of scenic lamppost or guardrail caches, or do you wish to go on your "usual" tangent?

Hmmm ...

Nope, still not convinced. You make an interesting argument, but sorry, I’m still not convinced.

7ef60d4e-4916-4580-b649-4dac5c277bd8.jpg

View of a small Shinto shrine near Jasper's Duck Pond in Misawa, Japan. The Japanese are really big on cramming little parks and other cool bits of nature into any available nook and crannie. This is one of the micro park features in Misawa that most Americans on base have driven by a million times and never really seen.

Here's another view of the area by MustangLDO:

4ec1dca7-6ed3-4c13-9531-47fcd0335312.jpg

The cache is on what passes for a guardrail in this area.

(Edited to remove some other pictures; I completely spaced on the OP's request to post lamp-post and guardrail caches.)

Edited by Jackalgirl

Here is an outstanding guardrail cache. Hidden right along the road, it's actually regular sized and is hidden at a place known for a 100 mile view on a clear day. There is a restaurant and gift shop a short distance from the cache and it's a major tourist spot, especially during the fall.Mass From Vt

I almost posted a link to this same cache as soon as I read the first post. Good thing I read the responses first :laughing:

Edited by the hermit crabs

Are you kidding? :laughing: No sweat! A random few from my "found" list;

In the rim of the world (Guardrail)

2012800_200.jpg

Gallery

Sea lions and pelicans (Guardrail)

5576ef52-be27-4b4b-b9ee-b6306e9e30e3.jpg

Gallery

All shapes and sizes II (Lamp post skirt)

b819e51b-b81a-472f-b9dd-2bb765471064.jpg

Gallery

Los pechos de la Choca (Guardrail)

c3c07e99-0394-4d55-a45c-19ceff4f49d1.jpg

Gallery

As they don't exist around here, I can't show local examples...

Edited by Happy Humphrey

Here's one:

Oh Hated Micro, Some Lightposts are worthy

Check out the gallery for a photo from the cache location. It's located above one of the several gorges that run through town and a very pretty creek. There are only two other LPC caches in town.

Not wanting cachers to inadvertantly tear up the gorgeous park, I made GC1J0FF Sixth Sense a nano in a safe location, that allows cachers a complete view of the gardens. There's no specific time of day/year to capture this place. It's not by chance that some beauty appeared by the side of a busy road. This is just a very nice place. Park Waymark: WM3WJG Garden of the Five Senses and WayTour: WM54QA Garden of the Five Senses. Also, my Flickr Set about this park.

Granted, I did not put it on a lamp or guardrail. But it's not a far cry from that.

Now, there's a hide in my area that has a gorgeous view. We did it on a whim because we were across the street finding the multi. You see the bridge and the river which is breathtaking in the morning. And we were there in the morning. When I pulled up, there was a guardrail... BUT there was also a wooded area. Many of the pine trees had been burrowed into by woodpeckers... there was just so many potential hiding places! Since the coordinates actually took me 30 feet into the woods PAST the guardrail, I never thought about the guardrail. Only after fifteen minutes of looking when my husband came to check on me and leaned on the rail ... and put his hands right on the magnet keyholder in the guardrail ... did we find it. Beautiful view but no less disappointing.

MIND YOU, if you're going to hide a LPC or guardrail, I appreciate it being in an area where it's safe to park and isn't overcrowded with muggles. I hate hate hate the guardrails that are along busy roads and there's no place safe to even park (let alone step out and hunt for the cache). That's just darwinism at work.

Sorry, I don't have digital photos of this one, but GCR2EK (archived now) was a good, scenic guard rail cache.

It is along US 34 between Loveland, CO and Estes park, CO (Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park). It is at a scenic pulloff. We likely would have stopped there to stretch our legs and enjoy the scenery even if there were no cache. It offered a view of mountains and hills with an occasional reports of big horn sheep sitings.

I realize that beauty is in the eye of the beholder so it might not pass your muster, but here's one of a couple I own.

MVC-329F.jpg

Also has historical significance - an important Civil War battle was fought here, as Confederate troops intercepted Union forces en route to destroy a railway bridge being used to send reinforcements to the ongoing battle at Fredricksburg; Rebs on the left bank of the photo; Bluebellys on the right.

Just a mag-nano, pretty well hidden on a guardrail, at least better'n most I've seen...but there's not really much room at GZ for anything larger, & this spot affords the best view.

MVC-536_50.jpg

The cache description might do a bit for captioning: Still Waters of Southwest Creek

The other of the couple is on a guard rail across the road (now private property with no trespassing signs posted) from an old somewhat historic grinding mill with its millpond - no image available. I guess it passes for scenic - I'm preparing to do a painting of it. Again, 'eye of the beholder'.

~*

Wow, such an inspired misreading of the OP! It's hard to believe that it is the product of someone who can actually read English.

The OP most certainly did not have the premise stated; he simply asked for examples of caches with one particular redeeming quality that might them worthwhile. Try reading the OP more slowly, or perhaps you might consider availing yourself of a course at your local adult learning center on reading English for comprehension.

Oh, and on the topic:

ad2758b1-a22b-40a0-93ac-41666b51a08b.jpg

Edited by fizzymagic

Wow, such an inspired misreading of the OP! It's hard to believe that it is the product of someone who can actually read English.

The OP most certainly did not have the premise stated; he simply asked for examples of caches with one particular redeeming quality that might them worthwhile. Try reading the OP more slowly, or perhaps you might consider availing yourself of a course at your local adult learning center on reading English for comprehension.

Ouch! Such venom. Are we having a bad day over there? :laughing:

I based my response on KitFox’s well-known opinion of this type of hide. His statement "I've yet to find any that meet the thread requirements yet" implies that he expects nobody to come up with any pictures of scenic views from them. At least that’s how it sounds to me. Maybe I’m wrong; maybe he is instead saying that he knows there are hundreds of great scenic photos out there, all taken from lamppost/guardrail caches, and that simply wants to see them. If so ... it turns out he was right! These photos are AWESOME!!!

I hope you’re right, and that KitFox is, in fact, no longer a chronically militant anti-lamppost/guardrail complainer like so many others. If I am as wrong about my post as you oh-so-diplomatically say I am, that will make me a very happy man indeed.

I always like to see tolerant attitudes take hold in the forums.

I just hope I never get so cranky as to insult anyone so directly and unnecessarily while making a point.

Perhaps you should spend a few minutes re-reading – "more slowly," as you put it – the guidelines against personal attacks. Such an inspired misreading of the rules! Forum insults don’t bother me, Fizzy. They entertain me in fact – partly because they’re funny, and partly because they only serve to make the insulter appear to other readers to be insecure about their point – but your insults might offend others. Please be careful. I’d hate to see you get booted.

Edited by KBI

GC1BC95

"Phone a Friend" when heading directly south of Ouray, Colorado, towards Durango. It overlooks a steep plummit from a narrow, windy, mountainous road. Really beautiful. Phone wasn't working when I visited, though. Phone has a light on top so it's technically a lamppost cache :shocked:

9ed56938-056e-4c6f-95dc-ff70c4b87ec6.jpg

Image from agents0x0!

Edited by Socorro

Micros in guard rails always provoke such thoughtful and pleasant discussions :shocked: so before this one veers completely off the tracks, I'll remind everyone of the forum guidelines at http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?act=boardrules

Here are some things to keep in mind when posting:

1. Forum courtesy: Please treat Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, fellow community members, and guests on these boards with courtesy and respect. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they should be treated fairly.

2. Foul language and obscene images will not be tolerated. This site is family-friendly. All forum posts must conform to a family-friendly standard and contributors must act accordingly.

3. Personal attacks and inflammatory behavior will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad. General attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

Thanks,

Quiggle

I based my response on KitFox’s well-known opinion of this type of hide. His statement "I've yet to find any that meet the thread requirements yet" implies that he expects nobody to come up with any pictures of scenic views from them. At least that’s how it sounds to me. Maybe I’m wrong;

I actually found a guard rail micro yesterday. "Jr's Dinosaur Discovery" was hidden with the purpose of sharing the location of a cool musuem.

As for finding a guardrail or lamppost caches with spectacular vista, I scoured my 1316 finds and found one that had a nice vista. Photo taken by another cacher. Highway Two View

4fdae175-96ea-4258-8e70-1bd350dac279.jpg

Wow, this thread sure makes me want to go out and hunt for lamp post and guard rail caches! Most of these are absolutely stunning. Now, a LP in a Walmart parking lot, meh! Think I still pass those up, and keep my eye out for these more impressive caches.

There is one near where I live in a Walmart parking lot that actually has a pretty good view. Unfortunately there were no photos of the view on the cache page. I'd stop by and snap a photo, but the view isn't quite as lovely with all the leaves down.

Wow, this thread sure makes me want to go out and hunt for lamp post and guard rail caches! Most of these are absolutely stunning. Now, a LP in a Walmart parking lot, meh! Think I still pass those up, and keep my eye out for these more impressive caches.

There is one near where I live in a Walmart parking lot that actually has a pretty good view. Unfortunately there were no photos of the view on the cache page. I'd stop by and snap a photo, but the view isn't quite as lovely with all the leaves down.

Along the main road that comes into town from the south there are several strip malls, including one with a Walmart (with a LPC cache). The view of the hills across the way is actually quite nice, especially in the fall, although in an area that is generally quite scenic it's not that special.

There is also a micro recently published that's on a unique structure just as you enter the town that be approached by entering the first strip mall as you come into town. Just across the road is one of the towns major waterfalls and State park called Buttermilk Falls. There is a really nice trail up the gorge next to the falls and a nice multi cache in the park that provides a visit to both the lower and upper sections of the park.

However....

If you hike up this nice stone pathway to the top of the falls, then turn around, you're presented with an unobstructed view of the Home Depot parking lot. :shocked: