A quick "how to" using links, bold, underlining in logs/posts/etc

Super-T

When I log a cache, I'm usually telling a bit of a story, and regularly refer to other caches in the log, such as the one I did before, or the cache I'm headed off to next.

When I do this I always make the name of the cache into a hyperlink to that cache.

After several messages from others asking how I do that, and answering the question each time, it was suggested that I should come in here and tell people here how to do it.

So here's how:

In a different tab or window go to the cache you want to link to.

Copy the url from the address bar.

Go to your log where you want to leave the link.

At the point where you want the hyperlink, put the following

[url=[/code]
 then without leaving a space, paste in the url of the cache you wish to link to (the one you just copied) and then without leaving a space close the brackets with a right square bracket [code] ] 

So you should end up with something like this:

[url=http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=c93dc08f-5850-4e45-9c68-45d07dcd86d0]

Now put the words that you want to use as the link - usually the name of the cache.

Then end it with

[/url]

So the final result would look like this:

[url=http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=c93dc08f-5850-4e45-9c68-45d07dcd86d0] Words to use as link [/url] 

Which would look like this --> Words to use as link <-- within your log.

See, it's dead easy.

So to summarise ....

[url= then without leaving a space put the url you are linking to, then immediately after the url put a closing square bracket ]  Then put the words that you want to use as the link, then end with [/url] It's really easy.

Oh, and other things that you might want to use such as bold and underlined can also be done:

You can make words bold font by putting [b] in front and [/b] after the word/s that you want in bold.

You can make words underlined font by putting [u] in front and [/u] after the word/s that you want underlined.

You can make words italics font by putting [i] in front and [/i] after the word/s that you want in italics.

Well, my apologies to the half of you that not only already know this info, but are more familiar with it than I am.

But to the rest of you, I hope these very basic bits of html code can help you do some more things with your logs.

Edited by Super-T

Thank you so much! I have tried more than once without success to underline words in a post.

I appreciate you, :laughing:

Glad to have helped.

And my apologies for calling it html when it isn't, as I said, there are many out there more familiar with these things than I am, this is just the results of all the research that I had to do to find the answers to these things for myself.