My Good Laugh for Today

DanOCan

I had a bit of a chuckle over my Groundspeak Weekly Notification email, specifically the section regarding the GPS Adventures exhibit schedule:

2009 Exhibit Schedule:

Winter: Rochester, NY

Spring: Seattle, WA

Summer: Davenport, IA

Fall: Ontario, Canada

Has "Ontario" suddenly become a city within a province called "Canada"?

This isn't some patriotic thing, it's just a matter of consistency. If your other listings are all "Town, State", is it that much of a stretch to list it as "Kitchener, Ontario"?

No disrespect intended, but look at a map and see how many states could be swallowed up by Ontario. Telling us that the exhibit is coming to Ontario is basically the equivalent of saying:

Winter: Eastern US

Spring: Western US

Summer: Mid-West

:laughing:

Woo hoo! A search of the GPS Adventures Maze page has turned up this!

Sept. 19, 2009 - Jan. 3, 2010 - The Children's Museum

Located in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, The Children's Museum of Waterloo Region is five levels of exciting exhibits that combine art, science and technology for people of every age to explore. Learn more about The Children's Museum

And remember, we all live in Igloo's and as soon as you cross the border you encounter snow....all year round.

You don't? And there isn't?

P.S. Remember to warn the Americans about snow snakes :-)

Snow snakes?

I had a bit of a chuckle over my Groundspeak Weekly Notification email, specifically the section regarding the GPS Adventures exhibit schedule:

Fall: Ontario, Canada

Has "Ontario" suddenly become a city within a province called "Canada"?

I thought Ontario was just one of the far northern states.

OK, I'll leave the Canada forums now.

This isn't some patriotic thing, it's just a matter of consistency. If your other listings are all "Town, State", is it that much of a stretch to list it as "Kitchener, Ontario"?

You're absolutely right. The maze has been generally a US-based exhibit and we should have considered Ontario like we do Washington and New York and included the city in the announcement. We'll make sure to do that in future announcements.

I'm not sure it makes sense to add United States to the other locations but I look to folks outside the US to let me know if that is necessary. Most people know California and New York but some of the more obscure US states may need country clarification, especially if the maze goes more global.

This actually doesn't look bad...

2009 Exhibit Schedule:

Winter: Rochester, New York, United States

Spring: Seattle, Washington, United States

Summer: Davenport, Iowa, United States

Fall: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

You're absolutely right. The maze has been generally a US-based exhibit and we should have considered Ontario like we do Washington and New York and included the city in the announcement. We'll make sure to do that in future announcements.

I'm not sure it makes sense to add United States to the other locations but I look to folks outside the US to let me know if that is necessary. Most people know California and New York but some of the more obscure US states may need country clarification, especially if the maze goes more global.

This actually doesn't look bad...

2009 Exhibit Schedule:

As someone outside the US I don't think adding 'United States' is necessary - it just adds clutter. Adding 'Canada' shouldn't be necessary, but it probably is, so would say leave it in.

Per the OP, the City is very necessary.

And remember, we all live in Igloo's and as soon as you cross the border you encounter snow....all year round.

Actually, the bulk of the population of Ontario lives further south than you.

In fact, the northernmost cache I've ever found (in Sudbury, about a five hour drive due north of my house), is still south of where you live.

Imagine that!

USA is probably sufficient and more accurate, wouldnt want to confuse those living in the United States of Malaysia, lah :D

Edited by Juicepig

:D

In fact, the northernmost cache I've ever found (in Sudbury, about a five hour drive due north of my house), is still south of where you live.

Imagine that!

I actually new this, and joke with friends in Ontario about it. But the myth that Canada is all farther North than the USA goes along with the Igloos and snow all year.

Now, for an even bigger laugh..........Who is going to be the one to set up the "mega" event in Waterloo?

Do a search, and there are a lot of cachers with Napoleon in thier names. :P

OK, Time to sneak back across the border and go home. :D

I don't think the "USA" is necessary; it's usually the default context on the web anyway, especially for US-based web sites. Most of us "world citizens" recognize the names of US states, I suspect, even if we don't know exactly where they all are.

Even Georgia, you could probably get away with without clarifying that one. I know there's another Georgia somewhere else, but it's usually obvious which one you're talking about.

Here are the details for you early planners!

» Sept. 19, 2009 - Jan. 3, 2010 - The Children's Museum

Located in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, The Children's Museum of Waterloo Region is five levels of exciting exhibits that combine art, science and technology for people of every age to explore. Learn more about The Children's Museum

So when is Octoberfest... ( Yes .. I know.. but WHEN in October? )

Great chance for an event (s) :D

Murfster

Hmm, roughly a 36-hour drive from my place to Kitchener. In my youth I made that drive solo non-stop, but I don't think I'd be dumb enough to do that again...need a group of people so we could drive in shifts and make it down there in good time. :)

OK, stop overnight in the Near North Ontario. I can accommodate up to 10 overnight before the last 5 1/2 hours to Kitchener/Waterloo.

Here are the details for you early planners!

» Sept. 19, 2009 - Jan. 3, 2010 - The Children's Museum

So when is Octoberfest... ( Yes .. I know.. but WHEN in October? )

Great chance for an event (s) :)

Murfster

Oktoberfest (notice the k, not a c...half the population here gets quite upset by that one...learned it the hard way!) for 2009 runs from Oct 9 - 17. Its always a blast.

eelow&beelow would know something about this as he works there and is, in fact, holding our annual Regift O Rama event there this coming Jan 1.

ElectroQTed and I held an Oktobercache event last year (had to skip this year) so if folks are going to come down for the GPS Adventure during Oktoberfest, maybe Ted and I can put it on again this coming year. It was good fun.

For those in the Michigan/Ohio/Pennsylvania/New York areas, we are only about a 90 minute drive from the border at Buffalo and about 2.5hrs from Detroit. Its pretty convenient to get here for a large number of our American caching friends!

ElectroQTed and I held an Oktobercache event last year (had to skip this year) so if folks are going to come down for the GPS Adventure during Oktoberfest, maybe Ted and I can put it on again this coming year. It was good fun.

For those in the Michigan/Ohio/Pennsylvania/New York areas, we are only about a 90 minute drive from the border at Buffalo and about 2.5hrs from Detroit. Its pretty convenient to get here for a large number of our American caching friends!

M3J, start the planning now, and I could almost guarantee having a mega event in Ontario next year. As far as I'm concerned, the election is over before the nominations start. :rolleyes:

Hmm, roughly a 36-hour drive from my place to Kitchener. In my youth I made that drive solo non-stop, but I don't think I'd be dumb enough to do that again...need a group of people so we could drive in shifts and make it down there in good time. :rolleyes:

I've done that drive *way* more times than I care to... I always used to do it in at least 3 days though.

Calgary --> Kenora --> Sault Ste. Marie --> Waterloo.

I always kept to Canada rather than detouring through the US. I figure there is too much potential to loose time in border crossings than what you'd save going through the US.

Some of the first Canadian waymarks are in fact points I recorded going back and forth between Calgary and Waterloo.

I've done that drive *way* more times than I care to... I always used to do it in at least 3 days though.

Calgary --> Kenora --> Sault Ste. Marie --> Waterloo.

You are just as welcome to stay here too, Dale. C'mon, let's make this a party to remember.

I'll be way too busy with classes at that time of year to even think about joining the party. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Imagine that!

I once received an email from from a TB owner who was amazed I moved their TB "Southwest" to Canada. :rolleyes: