Images uploaded to cache page issue.

Kit Fox

I'm curious about the issue, but will have to wait for you to re-post the missing topic.

But perhaps you mean that when you post a cache page photo it gives you a caption and a note block for you to write a bunch of whatever, but only one of those is ever seeable by anyone but you.

I hate forum burps.

My issue relates to uploading images directly to the geocache page, rather than uploading them via a note, find, dnf. When images are uploaded directly to the cache page (as the owner, in the navigation section of the page) they appear in the photo gallery. When the thumbnail photos (uploaded to the cache page) are clicked, you get hyperlinked back to the cache page. The image does not open, unless you click directly on each image, via the cache page, not the gallery page.

This occurs for every cache which has images posted to the cache page.

Edited by Kit Fox

I hate forum burps.

My issue relates to uploading images directly to the geocache page, rather than uploading them via a note, find, dnf. When images are uploaded directly to the cache page (as the owner, in the navigation section of the page) they appear in the photo gallery. When the thumbnail photos (uploaded to the cache page) are clicked, you get hyperlinked back to the cache page. The image does not open, unless you click directly on each image, via the cache page, not the gallery page.

This occurs for every cache which has images posted to the cache page.

Not sure what you are asking. When you click on the image in the gallery -

• if the image is associated with a log you go to the log entry.
  • if the image is associated with the cache page and not a log you go to the cache page.

I think what you might be asking is why when you click the image in the log you get just the original image in the browser, but on the cache page you get a Lightbox popup. For log images the Lightbox popup has links to view the log and to print the picture (view it on separate page), but for cache images the Lightbox has no link for printing the picture. In order to print an image from a cache page you have to go to the gallery and right-click Show Picture or Show Image. For a cache page picture you see the full image, but if you do this on a gallery picture you get the thumbnail.

Perhaps there could be a consistent way to get a full sized image of pictures to print out. It is more likely that you want to print a picture the owner has uploaded to the cache page that you might need for finding the cache.

Edited by tozainamboku

Adding a reply to bump this topic.

I'm sure something has changed in regard to the way the gallery page works in one of the recent releases.

When an owner uploads images they are visible in the gallery (as small images) but you can't ever see a large version of the image from there. When clicked, it sends the user to the cache page and you have to somehow know that this image can be viewed by clicking the appropriate link above the "logged visits" stats on the cache page. I think this is silly and inconsistent. Why not just display the large version of the photo on a blank page or using the lightbox approach?

I dont see that directing people to the cache page is useful at all. If someone is looking at photos in the gallery for a cache they want to see the photos, not be taken back to the cache page.

For an example, here is the gallery for one of my caches:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/gallery.asp...bb-b8e89cb20116

The first 4 photos belong to finders and the last 4 were loaded by me. Click the photo with the caption"Near the Beginning". It takes you to the cache page then you have to find the appropriate link (just above "logged visits") and click again to see the larger image.