Help me please

Momof4under10

Hey,

I am totally new to the GPS. My husband and I took an interest in it when we heard about geocaching. We wanted a unit that would allow us to geo cache, help out on hikes, and get us around various cities and backroads. I bought a Megellan Triton 400 with the TOPO explorer pack because it was in the price range (Stupid I know) Now everything I read is bad about this model. Everytime I try to turn it on it freezes and then I have to turn it out and pull out the batteries to get it to boot to a screen that I can do anything with. I can't find anything resembling a street map on the topo website and I don't know what else I could use to download streetmaps to this thing. Should I just pack this thing up and try for something else? Or is there someone out there who knows how to get this thing to work. Please help, Christmas is coming up quick and I would like to be able to give my husband a working GPS.

Thanks.

Team Tindle

Hey,

I am totally new to the GPS. My husband and I took an interest in it when we heard about geocaching. We wanted a unit that would allow us to geo cache, help out on hikes, and get us around various cities and backroads. I bought a Megellan Triton 400 with the TOPO explorer pack because it was in the price range (Stupid I know) Now everything I read is bad about this model. Everytime I try to turn it on it freezes and then I have to turn it out and pull out the batteries to get it to boot to a screen that I can do anything with. I can't find anything resembling a street map on the topo website and I don't know what else I could use to download streetmaps to this thing. Should I just pack this thing up and try for something else? Or is there someone out there who knows how to get this thing to work. Please help, Christmas is coming up quick and I would like to be able to give my husband a working GPS.

Thanks.

Team Tindle

You are screwed. <_<

I am just joking, you should be fine.

Try starting it up under the open sky.

If you have never used a GPS before you are going to have a hill to climb and Magellan isn't famous for making things easy on new users. If you really find it difficult you might want to find and ask another Magellan aficionado in your area to give you a hand, that is the best way to get started.

Otherwise you are going to have to work through the user Manual until it all makes sense. Adding "geocaching" to the learning challenge you already face may not be the best way to get started, try and get your Triton working without worrying about geocaches. Once you are comfortable with your GPS then add in the challenge of getting it set up properly for geocaching.

The Topo maps aren't street maps. The Topo maps are geared towards hikers, if you want to drive around and have your GPS be useful it is best to get some sort of street map package.

Magellan does offer a full line of mapping products, here is a link, look at the Street Maps

If you can't get the Triton to work like you think it should then don't be afraid to try out another GPS. There is nothing inherently wrong with a Magellan GPS beyond the fact that it isn't a Garmin.

Edited to add: Welcome to the geocaching forums and I hope you have fun geocaching.

Edited by wavector

There are 5 threads just on the first page from new geocachers asking questions about the GPSMap 60 Series from Garmin. There are people telling new GPS buyers to "buy this unit", "buy this unit". I appreciate the fact that there are many experienced geocachers who like their GPS but the Map60 Series is dated, it is an "old style" GPS and it is about as hard to use as anything you are going to find, even Magellan's crankiest units weren't much easier to use. There is nothing wrong with your GPS, it is going to be a bit difficult to use because GPS receivers are that way.

Just try reading the manual carefully and make sure that you master the GPS before throwing in the geocaching learning curve. If you want esae of use then DON'T buy the 60CSx thinking it is going to be a cakewalk, because it isn't. Look at this forum and count the the number of threads and responses that deal with the problems people are having getting there GSAK to work with the old Palm they had to go buy to use the Plucker to get the cache info onto the 60Csx to make it usable. Believe me, you get that unit and you will be back in here asking more questions about making it work.

The older GPS units (the 60CSx won the Unit of the Year in 2006, almost three years ago) are all equipped with a learning curve. The solution that works out of the box and is much fun is a new unit like the Colorado or Oregon. I know there are people who have had problems with those units as well but people have problems with any unit when they first start.

Your Magellan Triton is a solution that works for a lot of people. I know there is a small area of New Jersey where every Magellan Triton :ph34r: user has been disappointed and returned the unit but I can show you a Canadian Tire product review where 8 out of 10 customers would recommend your Triton 400 to a friend.

You will learn to take the advice you receive in here with a grain of salt. Some people are stuck in the past or they can't afford a new GPS so they recommend the unit they own to everyone. Some people are willling to give bad or incorrect advice simply to pump up their post count. You are not screwed and running back to the store to get an old 60CSx isn't going to solve anything. Now if you were running back to buy a Garmin Oregon you wouldn't have any problems but the price tag. <_<

Edited by wavector

You guys are making her feel bad about her Triton. :ph34r:

You can't have it both ways, tested and proven over time means "dated", that is my opinion anyways.

The 60CSx was the Unit of the Year in 2006 and things move along pretty quickly in handheld electronics. Garmin has been making great advances in redefining the handheld GPS and the new units are just that, new improved and easier to use, especially for geocaching.

I will admit that I did dump my Magellan Explorist. :huh:

Now I cache with my Oregon and use my OLD GPSMap 60 as a backup unit. I haven't turned it on in over half a year now so I am not certain it even works. I was talking to another Oregon user and they are using their GPSMap 60 Series GPS on their telescope so all is not lost.

Walmart still carries Magellan GPS's, go figure.

What is REI? Is that like Canadian Tire for Americans? <_<

You guys are making her feel bad about her Triton

No, we are warning her that it is a seriously flawed unit and she should consider returning it.

The 60CSx was the Unit of the Year in 2006 and things move along pretty quickly in handheld electronics. Garmin has been making great advances in redefining the handheld GPS and the new units are just that

They made great advances by removing functionality and making units with reduced screen visibility and reception. If that's progress, no thanks.

You guys are making her feel bad about her Triton. :)

Now I cache with my Oregon and use my OLD GPSMap 60 as a backup unit.

And you are still confusing your old GPSMap60 with the units we are recommending

--the GPSMAP 60CSx, the GPSMAP 60Cx, the GPSMAP 76CSx, and the GPSMAP 76Cx

Your old GPSMap60 really is tired old technology. You are correct in that at least.

I am so sorry you never tried the 60CSx. You really missed out on an extremely good unit. You might actually prefer it too, if you had used one for any length of time. But please stop confusing the "x" models with the plain old 60. They really aren't the in same category.

Come visit us. I'll let you use my 60CSx. You'll see what I am talking about.

Every gps has a learning curve. What one lacks in ease of loading maps, another lacks in ease of use or ease of loading cache info. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

And yes, some of us are advising her to get rid of the Triton if she still has that option.

It is not a unit most of us would have recommend anyone buy--not even you. It can find geocaches (any gps can) but it doesn't offer many of the features and ease of use and dependability that other units offer. And to top it off, it sounds as though her unit amy have a problem and not be working correctly.

If she can have something better, she deserves it. I'd hate to see her quit caching because she doesn't get along with her gps.

If she has to keep it, she would probably prefer advice on how to make the most if it rather than continued misinformation about the 60CSx series, which she doesn't even own.

Thanks for the responses. Since we couldn't get the Triton to turn on without taking the batteries out of the device, we opted to take it back. We figured that if it had that basic of a malfunction fifteen minutes out of the box there was either something wrong with that individual device or the line. We saw a lot of bad reviews on the Triton stuff so we decided to wait a little longer and do some research. We are really looking forward to doing some more geocaching. We got our toes wet and now we're hooked. So to speed up the process please recommend a good unit so that I can check out some reviews. Thanks so much for all of your help!

Well I have a Triton 400. The only reason I went with it is because it's compatible with the National Geographic TOPO maps which I already owned. I've had a few problems, but it works fine for me. I don't have any street maps though. I have a GPS in my truck for that.

I think the battery problems are related to rechargables; they may have enough voltage, but not the current. I use Energizers.

Welcome to Geocaching

Well I have a Triton 400. The only reason I went with it is because it's compatible with the National Geographic TOPO maps which I already owned. I've had a few problems, but it works fine for me. I don't have any street maps though. I have a GPS in my truck for that.

I think the battery problems are related to rechargables; they may have enough voltage, but not the current. I use Energizers.

Welcome to Geocaching

Thanks for the responses. Since we couldn't get the Triton to turn on without taking the batteries out of the device, we opted to take it back. We figured that if it had that basic of a malfunction fifteen minutes out of the box there was either something wrong with that individual device or the line. We saw a lot of bad reviews on the Triton stuff so we decided to wait a little longer and do some research. We are really looking forward to doing some more geocaching. We got our toes wet and now we're hooked. So to speed up the process please recommend a good unit so that I can check out some reviews. Thanks so much for all of your help!

Glad to see you are sticking with geocaching!

I'd recommend you look around in some of the other recent threads for some basic ideas and think about what it was that attracted you to the Triton 400 in the first place, then start a new thread when you have a couple of units in mind. That way, you'll get responses keyed to your needs.

Some things to think about:

Is cost a key factor? Be sure to make that clear.

How about ease of use? Are you really comfortable with computers, or do you really need something basic.

Will you be using it for travel as well as geocaching?

Are you determined to stick with Magellan brand, or would you consider other brands?

If you just want some idea of things to look at (There are a lot of choices!)...Some of the most often recommended units recently:

Garmin Legend HCx

Garmin Vista HCx

Garmin 60CSx (my personal recommendation)

Garmin Oregon 400t

DeLorme PN-40

I really haven't seen a lot of recommendations recently for any Magellan units, so I can't say which of those you might check out. There are a few people who used to pop in once in a great while to mention Lowrance models.

I'm stationed in Japan and so I ended up buying a GPSr that is compatable with UpUpDown's romanji (that is, english-character) local maps. It's a Garmin 76Csx and I love it. So does my husband -- when I let him use it. ; )

I'm afraid that I can't make any specific recommendations since I've only handled the one unit (which I'd recommend; it has suited me very nicely).

I think you're on the right track, though -- clearly you're thinking about what features are available while also looking at equipment reviews. You might want to Google around and see if there are any local geocaching groups in your rea. If there are any meetings, perhaps the local cachers can show you their gear and you can see if any of them are more intuitive for what you want.

I would have to disagree with wavector's earlier characterization of the Garmin 60CSx line. I bought it a couple of months ago, and have to say, it's been a pure pleasure to use it. The learning curve wasn't steep at all. I just sat down one evening and tried every function on it, and it was very intuitive. I have absolutely no regrets in buying it. The reason I went with it over the Colorado or Oregon was 1) reliability. The 60CSx seems to be the tried and true workhorse of the Garmin line. While the CO/OR models are the latest technology, there still seem to be a few bugs to work out in those units. Do I feel outdated that I bought the older 60CSx technology? Absolutely not. The darn thing works, and works amazingly well. If you're on a budget, go for the Garmin Vista HCx instead. Slightly smaller form factor with a different layout of buttons, etc, but exact same functionality as the 60CSx. These units do have basic basemaps in them with Interstates and state roads, but not county roads or city streets, etc. But, you can buy additional maps for about $80, plus a 2gb microSD card for about $10, on top of the GPS price. If you buy the City Navigator maps, you can use the handheld unit to autoroute from point A to point B. And one more thing, if you have trouble as wavector suggests, don't worry about it. That's the awesome thing about these forums, there are lots of people willing to help out when you can't figure something out. Good luck!