Hints to GPS

HaveCameraWillCache

Hello, I am new and trying to get a few Cache's downloaded to my new GPS before we leave for a week. I can get the basic info to the GPS (garmin etrex legend HCx) with no problem, but I can not get the hints to go... I know we will need those while out.

First I tried just sending to the GPS while viewing the page with all the Cache's. Basic info went but no hint.

Next - I upgraded to the paid membership. I installed EasyGPS and sent the file that way, then sent it to the GPS, but still no hints showing up.

Is there a way to do this or do I just need to write them down before we go? :shocked:

Thank you for your help - I think our family is hooked

Unless you also have GSAK or load the info as POIs (Points of interest), you can't get the hints into the HCx. With GSAK you can get the first 30 letters or so. With POIs you can get the whole thing, but it may be in a couple of pages. You could load them in manually into the notes section, but that is time consuming.

I'd recommend writing them down until you can get an inexpensive PDA.

Welcome to geocaching---have a great time!

Edited by Neos2

Easy enough if you are using GSAK to get the hints in the description field but you are limited to something like 32 characters. %hint%

If you use POI files - they don't work with the Geocaching mode of the unit and are limited to something like 88 characters.

Best bet is to supplment the GPS with a PDA - cheap enough for about $25 used on ebay and then add $8 for cachemate.

Its very easy to do with GSAK (which you can use for free but has a nag screen,) and this macro and load them as POI`s using Garmins free POI Loader.

Uncheck everything except the hint button on the macro for just the hint, never seen a hint more than 88 characters so only one POI page there.

Load them as POI`s and as geocache mode so you still have that if you want. If you need the hint search POIs and then you got the decoded hint.

Open your gpx file in GSAK, run the micro, connect and turn on your gps, run the POI loader pointed to the folder where you saved the file and it loads it to the gps, your done.

Edited by IBcrashen

Its very easy to do with GSAK (which you can use for free but has a nag screen,) and this macro and load them as POI`s using Garmins free POI Loader.

Uncheck everything except the hint button on the macro for just the hint, never seen a hint more than 88 characters so only one POI page there.

Load them as POI`s and as geocache mode so you still have that if you want. If you need the hint search POIs and then you got the decoded hint.

Open your gpx file in GSAK, run the micro, connect and turn on your gps, run the POI loader pointed to the folder where you saved the file and it loads it to the gps, your done.

OK DUMB user question. I have now installed GSAK. Then I click on your note above for 'macro' and it sends me to a GSAK forum. I see screen shots of what to fill in but nothing to 'download'. So I thought maybe I was to make my own macro and went to macro create then to File - Export... but I don't see anything that looks like a Garmin POI type info.

Thank you for the help!!!

OK DUMB user question. I have now installed GSAK. Then I click on your note above for 'macro' and it sends me to a GSAK forum. I see screen shots of what to fill in but nothing to 'download'. So I thought maybe I was to make my own macro and went to macro create then to File - Export... but I don't see anything that looks like a Garmin POI type info.

Thank you for the help!!!

Never mind...someone smarter than me will have to tell you how to do it....I thought I knew and tried it but it didn't work! Sorry.

Edited by Neos2

In that macro link from above, scroll down a bit, and there should be a link to version 1.1 of the macro. You'll have to download that file, then install the Macro in GSAK to run it. That's after you've run a Pocket Query to load in some caches. Or, you can try version 1.2 or 1.21 of the macro, just check the last post in that thread for the disclaimer.

Edited by vwaldoguy

For what it's worth, if sending the caches just as "waypoints" to your Legend HCx using Wild Things 73's method, (instead of using the macro to send them as custom POIs as indicated earlier), waypoint names can be up to 14 characters long, and the note field for waypoints can be 30 characters long. While 30 characters would cover most hints, be aware that a full sentence (typically longer than 30 characters) in the hint field would get truncated. And note, your unit can hold up to 1000 waypoints. When using that custom POI macro that was referenced earlier, you can store as many POIs as your microSD card can hold.