Tomtom? Download?

BAPMAN CREW

New to Geocaching. We were going to get a Garmin after X-mas but the kids got us a tomtom and trying to make this work as not to disapoint them. My wife wants a driving unit that we can use for caching, but I realy want to download str8 to the unit. Can this be done with a Tomtom one XL ?? I'm thinking I need to return it and get a Gamin.

You won't be able to download the cache information directly from the Geocaching.com website pages, if that's what you are asking.

Garmin wrote the Garmin Communicator plugin software and released it to allow webmasters to use it to allow information to be transferred directly to Garmin GPS units. Thus far, no other GPS manufacturer as done likewise.

Since you are a Premium Member, however, you should be able to convert the GPX data to the format that TomTom needs and load the data that way from your computer.

Although you can find a way to make the Tom Tom work, it is simply not the most suitable unit for Geocaching. It tends to want to Navigate you only on roads, has short battery life, is not comfortable in your hand and is defenitely not rugged enough for the every day abuses of trail use.

Keep the Tom-Tom for the car and grab something like a Garmin Venture Hc (about $115) for Geocaching.