New To Caching

TimeTraveler09

Hello all, I'm a brand new cacher (actually, my GPSr will be delievered next week, so technically, I haven't begun yet), and I just had to pop into this forum and say that this geocoin thing sounds awesome! I'm a coin collector as is anyway with a nearly complete collection of mint condition wheatback cents (1909-2008) along with several others. I had never heard of geocoins before I started looking into geocaching, though, and I cannot wait to get started.

Hopefully, once I am more well-versed in the etiquette of geocaching and geocoin collecting, I will make my own personal coin (I have a design in mind...!) for distribution. I look forward to meeting more people out on the trails!

Yours in humble reverence,

TimeTraveler09

Welcome to the Forums! Boy, are you in for one serious addiction. ; )

Don't forget to read the pinned topics at the top of the Forum -- Eartha's posted all kinds of information about how to go about minting coins (from Groundspeak's point of view, that is). And most of the vendors on the list of Groundspeak-approved vendors will help you get your coin minted.

Have fun! : )

Hello all, I'm a brand new cacher (actually, my GPSr will be delievered next week, so technically, I haven't begun yet), and I just had to pop into this forum and say that this geocoin thing sounds awesome! I'm a coin collector as is anyway with a nearly complete collection of mint condition wheatback cents (1909-2008) along with several others. I had never heard of geocoins before I started looking into geocaching, though, and I cannot wait to get started.

Hopefully, once I am more well-versed in the etiquette of geocaching and geocoin collecting, I will make my own personal coin (I have a design in mind...!) for distribution. I look forward to meeting more people out on the trails!

Yours in humble reverence,

TimeTraveler09

An email is on it's way, WELCOME to caching!

Welcome! :D

Since you're already versed in coin collecting, you probably already understand the "obsession" side of collecting. My advice is to not try to obtain every geocoin made nor even every finish of every geocoin made. Buy and trade for the designs you truly love and trade off the ones you are not so keen on if you should buy any of those. However there are a few geocoins where having one of each version made is simply a must... ;)

CF30

Wow.... lots of replies! I look forward to having fun with y'all in the future.

RE Eltada: I guess it's good I'm single - sanity is futile with a good collection!

RE Crowesfeat: Absolutely. My non-Geo-coin collection is based off of what I like most - USA wheat cents, USA flying eagle cents (my faves), and Silver Dollars. The mark of being a good collector (as opposed to a hoarder) is knowing what to hold on to that you enjoy and how to get rid of the rest appropriately! (For reference, I like foxes.... that would be one type of Geocoin I'll be on the lookout for!)

RE Everyone else: Thanks! I'll be sure to check out the pinned topics!

~TimeTraveler09