My Account - BUG

Mittellegi

A couple of days ago I picked up a TB coin from a cache. I logged the bug from my mobile phone using the WAP interface, but wasn't given the option to pick it from the cache in which it was located - the only options I had were "Grab from somewhere else", "Write a note" or "Discover it".

I "Grabbed it". So far so good.

However, when I tried to go to the "My Account" page when back home I got an error - the page crashed and simply wouldn't load.

After further investigation, it appeared that the TB coin I had grabbed had never been activated...so I had an unactivated TB coin in my inventory which causes the My Account page to crash out. The only option I had was to seek out the Activation code and active the TB coin against my account - now My Account page is back to normal, but I am the owner of a TB coin which isn't mine...

A Bug to be fixed?

A couple of days ago I picked up a TB coin from a cache. I logged the bug from my mobile phone using the WAP interface, but wasn't given the option to pick it from the cache in which it was located - the only options I had were "Grab from somewhere else", "Write a note" or "Discover it".

However, when I tried to go to the "My Account" page when back home I got an error - the page crashed and simply wouldn't load.

After further investigation, it appeared that the TB coin I had grabbed had never been activated...so I had an unactivated TB coin in my inventory which causes the My Account page to crash out. The only option I had was to seek out the Activation code and active the TB coin against my account - now My Account page is back to normal, but I am the owner of a TB coin which isn't mine...

A Bug to be fixed?

ah, an unactivated TB has no owner. Your TB now has an owner ... you. Did it ever occur to you the TB might have meant to be a gift?

But it does sound like you found a "feature" of the WAP interface.

Jim

A Bug to be fixed?

Hello BexyBear

I went to your Profile page and looked at your Trackables.

I recognize most of those icons as belonging to older geocoins, not likely to be found unactivated and in an existing cache and that narrowed down my choices. The geocoin you picked up at that cache is certainly a beauty and I can see who dropped it off by reading the cache logs. I can also see that the cache is the very first cache that geocacher visited.

I also see from the logs that the cacher has a name very much like the placer of the cache!

There does appear to be some correlation between the name of the geocoin placer and the hider of the cache where you found the geocoin but more experienced players than I could get something like that wrong, coincidence plays such a big part in the way we are all connected. :D

I would guess that the geocacher who dropped off that geocoin actually thought that they had activated it, that is a guess though. A lot of unactivated TB's and Geocoins get dropped off by mistake at this time of year. If you look at the cache page you can see that they took a TB and it is not logged yet so maybe they don't know how to do that? The other TB that is showing in that cache is also missing and no one has mentioned that except the last person who found it back in March. Because they have only found a few caches I am guessing the placer of that geocoin might need a little help with TB's.

You certainly seem to have found a bug in the WAP interface!!

That bug should have shown as not activated on your PDA/Phone

The geocoin is your call really. I have found unactivated items in geocaches and I knew they were intended to be an activated item. It is certainly permissible and well within the spirit of the season for you to send an email and explain that you found this item and you weren't sure if they intended to drop it as a gift or if they could use some help activating it. If the geocacher purchased the item and wanted to watch the item travel they will be happy for the help you offer and if they intended it as a gift you will likely enjoy it more.

A little known fact about people who leave geocoins behind is that when they go geocaching they often do not log the caches they visited. I could have visited a cache yesterday and found a brand new unactivated geocoin as an FTF prize and left three other coins in it's place and no one would know better if I never logged it. I do know about TB's though and since the person placing the geocoins logged the fact that they placed the geocoins and they never logged the TB they took I really think it is a situation where they just messed up and could use some friendly help.

Since the item is already in your inventory the only way you could "give" it back would be to "adopt" the item over to the other geocacher. You probably have done a good thing posting the bug information in here, Jeremy will be sure to see us taking his name in vain and hopefully a qiuck remedy will be in order. :D

If others are experiencing the same "bug" things could get seriously get out of hand.

When you say "it isn't mine" I think your honesty does you credit. :D

If I were you I would go ahead and check with the geocacher who dropped it off , I am sure they will appreciate it and someone is going to feel like Santa no matter what, and that is the best way to feel at Christmas!

You might want to check out some of the contests that are running right now.

This one called "what contest?" is open to all geocachers and involves the same kind of profile searching that this post involves.

an unactivated TB coin in my inventory which causes the My Account page to crash out.

A Bug to be fixed?

I've now repeated this using an unactivated TB tag which does belong to me, and grabbing it using a 'dummy' account - that account now has the same crashed-out My Account page:

c4d9cd41-a31b-45c7-bca0-addfd845016c.jpg

and the bug's log is here

c3499265-2ff6-4c53-9f3c-cb05ae21111b.jpg

Edited by BexyBear