Indoor Caches?

Cal W.

I've heard of and seen caches that were listed as being indoors in large scale buidlings, or puzzle caches ending in a library or what not. I though geocaching was supposed to be an outdoorsy type thing, isn't it against the rules to hide cache indoors? And even if it is or isn't allowed, do you think it should be? Let's hear some opinions.

I've heard of and seen caches that were listed as being indoors in large scale buidlings, or puzzle caches ending in a library or what not. I though geocaching was supposed to be an outdoorsy type thing, isn't it against the rules to hide cache indoors? And even if it is or isn't allowed, do you think it should be? Let's hear some opinions.

The guidelines for placing caches state

GPS usage is an essential element of geocaching. Therefore, although it is possible to find a cache without a GPS, the option of using accurate GPS coordinates as an integral part of the cache hunt must be demonstrated for all physical cache submissions.

Since GPS receivers generally don't work indoors this mean that at least part of the cache hunt has to take place outdoors and indoor types caches should be stages of a multicache or a puzzle. Sometimes you can use a GPS and see the coordinates would put you inside the building and be able to figure out where in the building you need to go. But the best one are where you go inside to get information to use to compute the coordinate for the final somewhere nearby. I've done several "Mall" caches like this. I don't particularly like "Library" caches because most simply give coordinates for the library entrance and then hint you need to go inside to fine the some Dewey decimal or something.

If an indoor cache is troublesome to you, put it on your ignore list.

End of story

One of the first caches I found was a multi with gathering characters along the stations and the final hidden in a library. The gathered information of the previous stages turned out to be the signature of the book containing the final. I found it pretty amazing. In my eyes it is not an entirely indoor cache.

I still haven't found an indoor cache which is a solution for caching on a rainy day.

I like the idea of putting stations or an entire cache indoors. It certainly raises the terrain and difficulty, because even expert geocachers have to think out of the box and "navigate" without a GPS.

I am pro such caches and if someone doesn't like them then just ignore them

Greets

Backo

I like the idea of putting stations or an entire cache indoors. It certainly raises the terrain and difficulty, because even expert geocachers have to think out of the box and "navigate" without a GPS.

There's a cache near here where the coordinates put you inside a parking garage. You can go to the top parking level (roof) and zero in on the coordinates. Then you have to find the cache that hidden on one of the 5 levels + basement directly below you.

There's a cache near here where the coordinates put you inside a parking garage. You can go to the top parking level (roof) and zero in on the coordinates. Then you have to find the cache that hidden on one of the 5 levels + basement directly below you.

Personally speaking, that sounds like a cache that I'd ignore. :yikes:

The guidelines for placing caches state

GPS usage is an essential element of geocaching. Therefore, although it is possible to find a cache without a GPS, the option of using accurate GPS coordinates as an integral part of the cache hunt must be demonstrated for all physical cache submissions.

Since GPS receivers generally don't work indoors this mean that at least part of the cache hunt has to take place outdoors and indoor types caches should be stages of a multicache or a puzzle. Sometimes you can use a GPS and see the coordinates would put you inside the building and be able to figure out where in the building you need to go. But the best one are where you go inside to get information to use to compute the coordinate for the final somewhere nearby. I've done several "Mall" caches like this. I don't particularly like "Library" caches because most simply give coordinates for the library entrance and then hint you need to go inside to fine the some Dewey decimal or something.

Mr. T is correct. Mr personal experience is they "tightened up" on the GPS integral part of the cache hunt guideline thing, and it's much harder to get a library or mall cache approved now then in the past, but still possible. For example, I found a library cache that was placed in 2002 (since archived), that involved several hours of research in the library, and puzzles, and I thought it was great; it's on my favorites list.

As someone said, ignore them if you don't like them. Parking lots are outside, and I don't like them, or cache in them. :yikes:

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Oh there's a bunch of them around. Sounds kind of interesting, actually. But I'd probably drive on by.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

In Philadelphia there's a library cache that is so neat that when the city Tourism Board did the city caching tour tied the Franklin Institute Tut exhibit back in 2007 they made it part of the tour in addition to the caches they "created". I believe it's called "The Mummy" and the hint (and the comments of some finders) makes it easy enough to find.

That's what makes this sport so fun. Every person who creates a hide has a different idea of what they thing is interesting and every geocacher has a different idea on what they like to do. So if inside hides don't interest you, ignore them. But some find this interesting, so why shouldn't someone place one if they want to? There is a library hide in the town where I work which involves finding several "clues" outside which lead to the Dewey Decimal number of the hide. I haven't had a chance to do this one yet, but it's on my to do list. The logs for this one indicate that folks have enjoyed it.

Oh there's a bunch of them around. Sounds kind of interesting, actually. But I'd probably drive on by.

I've only done a couple like this and they were alot of fun to me. One of them took 3 tries to get (was hidden very well) and the other had us guessing as to what floor we needed to be on.

I'm guessing ya'll are saying that you would ignore these because of the lack of the scenic beauty or that they aren't in an interesting location. I agree that those two qualities are important to me, but there is another that i find to be to my liking just as much as those. That is,,, a challenge, which these types can offer. Also, they are a bit different than the normal run of the mill cache so that can be a good thing too!

Personally speaking, that sounds like a cache that I'd ignore. :)

I've only done a couple like this and they were alot of fun to me. One of them took 3 tries to get (was hidden very well) and the other had us guessing as to what floor we needed to be on.

I'm guessing ya'll are saying that you would ignore these because of the lack of the scenic beauty or that they aren't in an interesting location.

No, just that there's a zero chance of getting hit by a car in the woods, and a higher probability in a parking garage. :blink: Hey, I guess you could call these "indoor caches" though.

I used to have one on the roof of a building. You had to go inside to get to it, but it was outside.

Similarly, I once found one that was in an outdoor courtyard within a building.

To answer your question, no, it's not against the rules, nor do I think it should be. As long as GPS is intergral to the hunt, and it's not commercial (within a mall is not necessarily commercial), and it's done with proper permission, then it's fine.

That sounds like a fun one to me. I'd like to try that one the next time we're down in Chattanooga. Can you post that cache's number?

On the original subject, we also found a library cache once. You started at the given coordinates outside and followed compass direction instructions that led inside and to the shelf with the cache. It was a fun hunt.

That sounds like a fun one to me. I'd like to try that one the next time we're down in Chattanooga. Can you post that cache's number?

No problem, it's Top 'O the Town to Ya! (TCMN) hidden by AB4N in the heart of downtown Chattanooga, TN.

I said it was a cache, not that it was listed here on Geocaching.com :blink:

I hate malls, the only place in a mall I have ever found of interest is Hot Topics and they never have clothing that fits me that I can't get in a record store. The stuff that would draw me in doesn't fit and I have to order it at their dot com, so I hate malls. If I where to bother to find out if there where geocaches at the malls my wife goes to, then I would be like "Can I go? Can I go? Hugh, hugh, can I?"

I guess that makes me pro indoor.

Library caches and others like them can be fun. It was my impression that as long as there is some GPS usage involved in the cache, it's groovy. Many night caches use reflectors, and not every stage do people use their GPS. I don't think that all caches must demonstrate GPS usage for the entire thing, but at least some aspects of it.

:blink: BQ

I have absolutely no idea why you would think that. Geocaching is about using a GPS to find a cache. "Outdoorsy" is not a requirement. The requirement is using a GPS. I loved the one at the Franklin Institute at the King Tut Exhibit! I've found a couple in libraries. A couple in tunnels. Some where you had to gather information in subway stations. Don't think I'll get the nerve to do the one hidden in a very small cave. If you need a GPS to get there, and it meets the guidelines, then it's fair game. Whether it's indoors or outdoors.

I don't think it is against the rules at all. I look at it this way.... If you don't like urban, don't do urban. If you don't like micros, don't do micros. If you don't like ticks.... well you get the point.

There are several ones here in the Seattle area in (and around) libraries. Some are part of a puzzle you have to solve and go to the library to retrieve. There is one in a video store in the inside of a fake video jacket. There is one up north of Seattle in a vegetable stand above one of the veggie bins! There is also a very fun one in the Pike Place Market...down under, very inside. It is fun for both tourists and locals. One of the most enjoyable caches I have done here is at the UW library called House of Stories...I think the hiders are or were librarians. You can do all of the WP info inside the library and you get to really explore; it has great stuff. For the final, you have to retrieve it during certain hours as it is in an area that is closed a lot. There are also ones in the malls, mostly in sculptures or art objects outside that are fun.