Garmin gps 72

Has anyone tried to make a data cable for one of these? There are only 4 pins and I looked it up and there is power ground tx and rx. I tried to make one but it doesn't seem to show up as connected to my pc. Has anyone else out there attempted this? If so can you give me some pointers? I have always been one to try to make things instead of buying them so I thought I would give this a shot. I'm sorry if this is in the wrong spot I didn't really see another spot where I thought it might go. Thanks for your help.

Believe it or not, I have made one. :rolleyes:

You suggested you already have these, but just in case here are the pinouts:

This one is for the 4-pin on the back of the Garmin 72:

http://pinouts.ru/GPS/garmin_round_pinout.shtml

This is for your standard Serial RS-232 (There is more than one pinout on this page, use RS-232):

http://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/cable/RS-232.html

Radio Shack probably doesn't carry these any ore, I bought the last one locally, but there is a kit you can get for only a few dollars that is a RS-232 serial connector (Male I think, goes into the plug in the computer) It includes these handy pins that you crimp your wires to and insert into the connector in the appropriate hole (they are numbered)

If you can't get one of those, I suggest a flimsy credit card or similar thin easy to manipulate plastic sheet, and make holes in it for your pins, wrapping in the wires so they make contact. This will probably be the best method for making the connecting end for the GPS72.

Now for sending receiving the data, EasyGPS will work, so will GPSTrackmaker. Make sure your unis export settings are to Garmin in the settings menus.

VisualGPS will let you record data from the unit to a computer, however the NMES data your GPS72 sends is not as complete as most newer units. If you do this make sure your unit exports NMEA sentences. This is a good way to see if your connection is working, you can open a window to watch the raw data feed in, and a bunch of text will roll in every second if your connection to the unit is good.

All the programs I mentioned are fee and should be easily found with Google, if you have any trouble finding them post back.

Hope that helps and good luck. I had fun making mine, I even made an adapter for my Lowrance GPS unit.

P.S. You only need to use 3 wires, for Data In/ Data Out, and Ground. The power one is unnecessary.

Edited by Airmapper

Believe it or not, I have made one. :rolleyes:

You suggested you already have these, but just in case here are the pinouts:

This one is for the 4-pin on the back of the Garmin 72:

http://pinouts.ru/GPS/garmin_round_pinout.shtml

This is for your standard Serial RS-232 (There is more than one pinout on this page, use RS-232):

http://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/cable/RS-232.html

Radio Shack probably doesn't carry these any ore, I bought the last one locally, but there is a kit you can get for only a few dollars that is a RS-232 serial connector (Male I think, goes into the plug in the computer) It includes these handy pins that you crimp your wires to and insert into the connector in the appropriate hole (they are numbered)

If you can't get one of those, I suggest a flimsy credit card or similar thin easy to manipulate plastic sheet, and make holes in it for your pins, wrapping in the wires so they make contact. This will probably be the best method for making the connecting end for the GPS72.

Now for sending receiving the data, EasyGPS will work, so will GPSTrackmaker. Make sure your unis export settings are to Garmin in the settings menus.

VisualGPS will let you record data from the unit to a computer, however the NMES data your GPS72 sends is not as complete as most newer units. If you do this make sure your unit exports NMEA sentences. This is a good way to see if your connection is working, you can open a window to watch the raw data feed in, and a bunch of text will roll in every second if your connection to the unit is good.

All the programs I mentioned are fee and should be easily found with Google, if you have any trouble finding them post back.

Hope that helps and good luck. I had fun making mine, I even made an adapter for my Lowrance GPS unit.

P.S. You only need to use 3 wires, for Data In/ Data Out, and Ground. The power one is unnecessary.

Thanks Airmapper!!!! I'm going to try that now. I used the pin plugs from an old comp I had and cut off the plugs that goto the power hdd light reset button etc. I was trying to use it usb but couldn't get it to read what so ever. I downloaded drivers and easygps and gps trackmaker and still both wanted a serial connection. Since I only need the three pins I'm going to try right now on hooking it up and see if I can get it to read that way. Thanks so much! I hope this works I am not a pro yet but I really like this sport and it kills the old hands entering these in manually lol. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!