Where's the best place to carry your GPS - re: signal strength?

RockyIsle

Hi All!!

As you may guess, I'm new to your forum so I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed before.

I've hiked several times using GPS but I ran into problems with the unit losing it's signal. In each time I remember carrrying the GPSr on a belt clip but, now that I think about it, each time I bent over - especially going up hill - my body would probably block the signal. So to all the experts - where do you recommend carrying the unit to maximize tracking? I was wondering about the top pouch on my backpack? (I should also say that the previous treks was with a Lowrance H2O, which did not have the newer HS chipsets.)

Hi All!!

As you may guess, I'm new to your forum so I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed before.

I've hiked several times using GPS but I ran into problems with the unit losing it's signal. In each time I remember carrrying the GPSr on a belt clip but, now that I think about it, each time I bent over - especially going up hill - my body would probably block the signal. So to all the experts - where do you recommend carrying the unit to maximize tracking? I was wondering about the top pouch on my backpack? (I should also say that the previous treks was with a Lowrance H2O, which did not have the newer HS chipsets.)

I carry mine anywhere available. Generally I carry it in my hand or on my belt. I've also clipped it to the shoulder strap of my backpack. I guess I should say I generally carry two. One is a 60CSx which I carry in my backpack or fanny pack, but it's my backup and turned off so it doesn't matter much. The other is a Colorado 400t which is my main unit. I also carry plenty of rechargeable batteries, the Colorado needs them for extended trips. I haven't had any problem with either losing a fix.

Nope, but I've decided to carry it mostly forward. The plastic components of the pack harness would likely do more damage than anything I might brush against.

So what are those marks on your display in the picture? I think that is our concern. They look like ripples in a screen protector.

Depends a lot on your particular GPS as to the best way to carry it.

The eTrex line from Garmin mostly has a patch anntena that works best held flat with the face pointing skyward.

The 60CSX and the Colorado have anntenas that work best with the anntena pointed up.

Generally higher on the body does work better but orientation is an important consideration.

I usually strap mine (a Garmin Etrex Vista HCx) to a shoulder strap of my backpack using the standard pouch from Garmin. Not on the front, but on top of my shoulder, such that it faces the sky. Which is best for these models as StarBrand mentioned already.

First I tie the wrist strap of the GPS to one of the plastic rings that is integrated with the shoulder strap, as a backup. And then I clip the belt clip of the pouch onto the shoulder strap.

Since a picture says more than a thousand words:

strapped-gps.jpg

This way the GPS has good reception - the only better place is on top of my head I guess :ninja: - and I can still easily take it in my hand if I want to take a look at the screen. Putting it in the top pouch of your pack is also a good option, reception wise, but that way you probably need to take off your pack every time you want to consult your GPS. Putting it inside your pack also might make it harder to keep it in the ideal position.

Edited by Orion84
So what are those marks on your display in the picture? I think that is our concern. They look like ripples in a screen protector.
I think that's a reflection. That photos was under exposed ~4-stops, had to really crank PS to make it viewable, believe that caused the apparent grain on the screen. Don't believe I've yet to hike with that setup, just got the Colo 300 and took those photos for a carabiner thread.

Front_shoulder.jpg

I prefer to keep my gps safe and protected. If I'm not zeroing in on a cache, it is usually in a jacket pocket or pants pocket. It has never been an issue, as once I take it out of a pocket, the accuracy immediately goes up. I suppose if you were looking to get an accurate track log distance it might make a difference, but that hasn't been my experience.