Swag ettiquite

Desert Pyrates

Ok, so we are new to this, and I have a question. What is the general consensus about trading swag? I mean I have 3 kids that go with us, 2 of which are 4 and 11 and of course they both always want something from the cache. Is it OK to trade 2 items per visit (we make sure each kid trades an item thats even or better) or are we plundering the caches and being greedy? We don't want to offend anyone, so we are hoping to get your opinions regarding this.

Certainly... At least i think it is. We have 2 little boy "Treasure Hunters" who love to find the Treasure. Both of them want something out of the deal, but they both have to trade an item to get one. I have listed on many cache logs where my little guys have each taken an item and never has anyone said anything to me about it. I think the best judge his is your conscious. If you are comfortable with the trade, i believe the community will be as well.

Ok, so we are new to this, and I have a question. What is the general consensus about trading swag? I mean I have 3 kids that go with us, 2 of which are 4 and 11 and of course they both always want something from the cache. Is it OK to trade 2 items per visit (we make sure each kid trades an item thats even or better) or are we plundering the caches and being greedy? We don't want to offend anyone, so we are hoping to get your opinions regarding this.

Greetings! I'd say if your 2 children are trading even or up which they are, then you are in fact adding to the value of the cache by visiting it. By doing that you are ensuring there are 2 better items in the cache than there was prior to you visit. I'm pretty new at this too, but to me that seems to be the ultimate goal of trading swag. I say give your children a well deserved pat on the back for being more responsible than even a lot of adults! Happy caching!!!! :D

Even as someone who caches completely alone, sometimes I will find more than one item I want to trade in a cache... this is especially true if there are geocoins or travelers on the cache listing, because I enjoy collecting coin icons. I have no problems trading out two or more items unless the cache owner specifically asks finders not to this. If it is multiple coins I want to take, I almost always leave the same number of coins in the cache, so that others coming after me won't be disappointed to find it cleaned out when they were expecting coins to be there.

Basically, I also practice as the others have said, that is, I trade "up" - leave the cache in a condition I would enjoy finding as the next cacher on the trail. Don't clean the cache out of "good" items, leave as many items as you take, try to trade quality items into the cache so it remains fun to find for everyone, and be willing to occasionally help "restock" a cache that needs a little loving care.

I say give your children a well deserved pat on the back for being more responsible than even a lot of adults!

Sounds like you're doing a good job of preparing your kids for real life, going out prepared to trade rather than swapping whatever shabby item they might find in a jacket pocket or under the car seat.

Let everybody trade who wants to. Teams like yours are good for the game.