Will there ever be another series like Project A.P.E.?

Delta68

I go to Gaithersburg, MD occaisionally for work, and was disappointed to see that one of the A.P.E caches was there, but is now archived. Guess I'll have to resort to Mission 4 (Brazil) or Mission 9 (Washington), if I ever get near those locations.

I do like the idea of new movies promoting geocacing.

Project: T.E.R.M.I.N.A.T.O.R..4

DNF......I'll be back!

I go to Gaithersburg, MD occaisionally for work, and was disappointed to see that one of the A.P.E caches was there, but is now archived.

That one, and the one as told by Markwell in the "story" both disappeared within 2 weeks of each other. I'll always buy into the conspiracy theory. :)

Story.

The geocaches were wildly successful. The movie was not so great.

Wildly successful? I haven't read all the logs on all the caches but I have to wonder why, out of 12 caches placed, only two remain active.

Well it HAS been almost 8 years since they were placed. I'm sure the percentage of caches still active that were placed 8 years ago is similar.

I go to Gaithersburg, MD occaisionally for work, and was disappointed to see that one of the A.P.E caches was there, but is now archived.

That one, and the one as told by Markwell in the "story" both disappeared within 2 weeks of each other. I'll always buy into the conspiracy theory. :)

I found the Maryland one. It was a huge ammo can the size of a suitcase and it was full of junk!!!! Magazines and all sorts of stuff. It was long after it had been released but it was quite a disappointment. It looked more like a garbage can than a cache. And it was out in the open with a few twigs on top of it.

BUT, getting the icon was pretty cool.

I found the Maryland one. It was a huge ammo can the size of a suitcase and it was full of junk!!!! Magazines and all sorts of stuff. It was long after it had been released but it was quite a disappointment. It looked more like a garbage can than a cache. And it was out in the open with a few twigs on top of it.

I found that one too and was surprised that it lasted as long as it did. It wasn't very well concealed and pretty close to a trail. In fact the pile of sticks it was under begged "Come and check me out!".

I found that one too and was surprised that it lasted as long as it did. It wasn't very well concealed and pretty close to a trail. In fact the pile of sticks it was under begged "Come and check me out!".

LOL. You are right. I had forgotten that until you mentioned it. As I recall the coordinates were off by about 20 meters when I found it too. And I think that whole area got flooded big time a year or two later.

From what I remember, the majority of the APE caches were archived during their first year. I guess the APE caches became popular later in the game.

I'm from Europe, I have to travel 10000 km to get an APE cache. In the distant future, I would like to find the one in Brazil, if it remains active.

one of the reasons they die out is that they are not permitted to be replaced. if the container goes missing, it's done, no matter who wants to adopt it.

the MD APE cache was removed because of a dam failure, i think. there were all kinds of volunteers to keep it going, but it was archived.

i made the trip from my home to find that cache and was saddened at its demise.

Story.

The geocaches were wildly successful. The movie was not so great.

Wildly successful? I haven't read all the logs on all the caches but I have to wonder why, out of 12 caches placed, only two remain active.

1) Perhaps "wildly successful" is a bit of an exaggeration, but how many other caches do you know of where people are willing to travel halfway around the earth to find them (yes, I know some exist, such as Mega-events like GeoWoodstock)? Some people traveled hundreds of miles to find them even back when they were first released. Ultimately, though, once the FTF prize and other original swag was traded out they became just another traditional with a different icon. People will do amazing things for a shiny new icon.

2) It's been 8 years, and the original "owner" hasn't been active in almost 7 of those years (probably related to the movie being "not so great"). How many caches do you know of that are still active when the owner has been missing so long? The caches that are still active were adopted by caretakers before the rule against forced adoptions was added.

3) They were killed by popularity. Lots of visitors and poor maintenance leads to crappy swag and destroyed camo.

the MD APE cache was removed because of a dam failure, i think. there were all kinds of volunteers to keep it going, but it was archived.

Actually, the MD cache was moved temporarily because of the threat of dam failure. It was moved back after the dam was deemed safe. It went missing a month or 2 later, right around the time the one in Illinois disappeared.

2) It's been 8 years, and the original "owner" hasn't been active in almost 7 of those years (probably related to the movie being "not so great"). How many caches do you know of that are still active when the owner has been missing so long? The caches that are still active were adopted by caretakers before the rule against forced adoptions was added.
I may not have been the original owner, but as the original placer, once Fox Studios washed their hands, Jeremy gladly adopted the cache to me - and that was before the days of geocaching.com/adopt.
3) They were killed by popularity. Lots of visitors and poor maintenance leads to crappy swag and destroyed camo.
I beg to differ on this one.Most of the APE caches were placed by individuals who were fairly well known early on in the game. Many trickled out of the game. Whatever happened to the APE caches they placed probably happened to the rest of their caches. They figured "who cares" and just left them out. However, I personally made many trips (some documented, some not) to my APE cache. Sometimes to resupply with simian-based goodies, other times just to check on the camo and the placement. Once, I even trekked it out to be archived, but was then granted permission by the Forest Preserve to keep it (so replaced and got it unarchived) - all with the same container.

But once the container was stolen, it was not to be.

Probably the strangest e-mails were from individuals mad (even furious) at me for archiving the cache and not replacing it. :) It's just a a cache, and an icon. Sheesh.

Would Groundspeak do it again? I tend to lean toward those that have said they're more likely to go the trackables route. Remember that the APE caches were placed BEFORE trackables, even the first Travel Bugs, were thought of.

Wow! Some interesting history lessons in those replies

Would Groundspeak do it again? I tend to lean toward those that have said they're more likely to go the trackables route...

Can't help thinking it's a shame as trackables just aren't the same... even with their own icon like the diabetes and Jeep TBs

Why travel halfway across the world when if you wait long enough one will probably appear in your neighbourhood...

Now if Garmin had some set some special caches rather than the geocoins that would have been er... interesting! :)

Mark

We loved the one in Maryland! We planned a week's geocaching vacation around it.

"Will Geocaching ever go for a new cache icon?"

Sure! How about the Maze Adventure icon? While it's technically an event, it is a new icon. Only 75 miles each way to Connecticut to get that one!

I was on my way to Leesburg VA for bloodhound training when I found the Maryland cache. After finding it I let the GPS auto route to Leesburg. It kept taking me onto smaller and smaller roads when suddenly it said "Board ferry". First time I had seen the GPS display that message. Turns out it was White's Ferry across the Potomoc. A nice little added adventure.

Markwell: I wasn't saying all three reasons happened to all caches, just that those were some of the reasons why some of the caches were archived. I'm sure there were several APE caches that were well maintained by the adoptive parents but were archived for other reasons (like yours).

The movie was not so great.

And did you get a load of all those apes on the Mall just a few weeks ago.

Uh....am I the only one wondering what this yahoo meant by the comment above?

I'm assuming Mall meant National Mall?

I need some serious explaining from either the poster of this quote, or from the mediators who haven't stricken this comment from the forum.

I can't be the only one reading between the racial redneck lines here.

I hope I'm wrong. Trainlove??

The movie was not so great.

And did you get a load of all those apes on the Mall just a few weeks ago.

Uh....am I the only one wondering what this yahoo meant by the comment above?

I'm assuming Mall meant National Mall?

I need some serious explaining from either the poster of this quote, or from the mediators who haven't stricken this comment from the forum.

I can't be the only one reading between the racial redneck lines here.

I hope I'm wrong. Trainlove??

I saw the comment but didn't pay any attention. I sure hope your racial interpretation is wrong. That is just disgusting.

Tequila,

Thank you for the support.

As for the rest of you out there....

I posted my views on Trainlove's comments over an hour and a half ago. Since then, there have been over 30 more reads on this topic, as well as 5 or 6 new posts to other topics. Quite frankly, I am disappointed, no, ASTONISHED that no one else is taking a stand on this. Are you all that indifferent? What century am I living in?

People post 5 gazillion times to debate such stupid idealisms as micros vs regulars and FTF etiquettes, but no one wants to get involved in admonishing thinly veiled racist comments? If it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, looks like a duck........

Try saying something like Trainlove did around the local water cooler. You'd be fired before lunchtime.

Trainlove should be banned from Groundspeak permanently.

Anyone else care to comment, or are we more worried about a newbie not liking her first geocaching experience? Unbelievable.

Tequila,

I posted my views on Trainlove's comments over an hour and a half ago. Since then, there have been over 30 more reads on this topic, as well as 5 or 6 new posts to other topics. Quite frankly, I am disappointed, no, ASTONISHED that no one else is taking a stand on this. Are you all that indifferent? What century am I living in?

People post 5 gazillion times to debate such stupid idealisms as micros vs regulars and FTF etiquettes, but no one wants to get involved in admonishing thinly veiled racist comments? If it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, looks like a duck........

Try saying something like Trainlove did around the local water cooler. You'd be fired before lunchtime.

Anyone else care to comment, or are we more worried about a newbie not liking her first geocaching experience? Unbelievable.

i'm reserving judgement until i have more information. i have not seen evidence of racism from trainlove yet, so i'm prepared to look for explanation.

and you will notice that around here people are not banned for racism. they can't make overt racist remarks, but racism is out there.

and tell me this: which is better? sweeping the racists under the carpet, thererby losing all opportunity to have a conversation, or keeping channels open?

it is right to call the remark into question.

it is also right to wait for a response.

Tequila,

i'm reserving judgement until i have more information. i have not seen evidence of racism from trainlove yet, so i'm prepared to look for explanation.

and you will notice that around here people are not banned for racism. they can't make overt racist remarks, but racism is out there.

and tell me this: which is better? sweeping the racists under the carpet, thererby losing all opportunity to have a conversation, or keeping channels open?

Flask,

Thank you for honest feedback. I appreciate your candor. I sent an email to Trainlove asking for a response in this forum. I don't believe any of this should be swept under the rug (like Trailgators is apparently trying to do).

here's my log from my visit to the APE cache in maryland.

i made the pilgrimage from northern vermont, and i'm not kidding about the "pilgrimage" part. i went out caching on a friday afternoon and nothing was ever the same again.

in fairness, nothing is ever the same after you have lunch, but there it was all the same.

re: pafarmboy

My initial interpretation was a racial one (I grew up in the south and am quite familiar with such racial terms as "yard apes" and "porch monkeys"). Then I thought he was talking about liberals and such. I am well aware that racism is alive and well in the world, but I try to assume that people's intentions are good until proven otherwise.

Back on topic, I doubt I'll ever get to Brazil. But my company has been working more on projects on the left-coast so maybe I'll get one of those shiny icons myself someday.

Tequila,

Flask,

Thank you for honest feedback. I appreciate your candor. I sent an email to Trainlove asking for a response in this forum. I don't believe any of this should be swept under the rug (like Trailgators is apparently trying to do).

i believe trailgators is actually trying to continue the conversation at hand.

are we supposed to stop valid discussions every time someone makes an offensive remark?

while it might be practical in a real-time face-to-face meeting, it isn't here. people come and go, sometimes being absent for days, months or even whole years. if you're going to hold up the forum until you get satisfaction, i can't support that.

every person taking part int eh conversation past this point should not be required to weigh in on the other issue before being allowed to proceed.

I am not one to assume the worst in people. I figured the comment was a dig at Dems. and not intended to be racial. I find it hard to believe that a truly racist person would chose to be openly so on this particular forum. They wouldn't last long.

I noticed the post immediately and have been trying to "report".

The majority of the attendees to the inaugural were african american as reported by the media. "Ape" is a well known racist slur. Nothing needs to be "Assumed". He made racist remark. Unfortunately, the "report a post" feature appears to be broken as it just times out.

maybe it's some failure in the education of my formative years, but i saw the comment and assumed it was a dig at mall rats.

at some point in my childhood i supposed i was secretly a racist because i didn't have any black friends. it took me a while to realize that it was because i didn't know any black people. it wasn't a choice; at the time and in the place where i grew up, there just weren't any.

so i was never sensitized to that sort of racism. although i never saw up close that particular brand, i did see plenty of anti-jewish bias, discrimination against native french speakers, and a huge amount of anti-gay slurs and even violence.

my racist grandparents were more concerned with jews and "PRs" (PRs. remember that great threat?). come to think of it, they weren't wild about anybody who wasn't blue-eyed, catholic, and german.

my parents vowed to bring us up differently.

good for them.

:lol: Wow... maybe it's just naivity on my part, or maybe because I'm in Canada... but when I read Trainlove's comment, the first thing that came to mind was "people in gorilla suits, or a pile of statues/statuettes of apes/gorillas/chimps/what have you, for the purpose of advertising something ape/chimp/gorilla/etc related. Or even just advertising 'Hey, we have cute monkey stuff!'". Man, just about everyone else here just immediately lunges onto the 'racist' bandwagon. Maybe the world has just gone way overboard with being too P.C., and I haven't noticed :bad:. The way things are going, I won't be allowed to eat crackers any more, but will instead be eating pressed bread thins or something :lol:

The aside however, back onto the original poster's topic. I for one would LOVE to have the opportunity to go after one of the remaining A.P.E. caches... mainly because it's got such deep-rooted history in geocaching. Much the same reason I want very much to find the original stash cache, or the first cache in Manitoba (where I live... but it's over 100km's away, which is a bit much for mine available time/money/gas). The unique icon is definitely a bonus, to boot, but even if it were the same icon, I'd still be greatly wanting to visit it.

Edited by Kabuthunk

I am not one to assume the worst in people. I figured the comment was a dig at Dems. and not intended to be racial. I find it hard to believe that a truly racist person would chose to be openly so on this particular forum. They wouldn't last long.

I noticed the post immediately and have been trying to "report".

The majority of the attendees to the inaugural were african american as reported by the media. "Ape" is a well known racist slur. Nothing needs to be "Assumed". He made racist remark. Unfortunately, the "report a post" feature appears to be broken as it just times out.

Thank you for your report. I hadn't been following the thread, as it had been going along quite nicely when I checked it this morning. Normally, the moderators don't acknowledge that a specific person reported a post, but since you mentioned it, I trust you won't mind. Your reports were indeed received.

The post in question has been addressed with its author.

I would like to ask everyone to please return to the topic of discussion, which is the special Project APE cache type, and whether there would ever be anything like that in the future. Thank you.

Actually, the MD cache was moved temporarily because of the threat of dam failure. It was moved back after the dam was deemed safe. It went missing a month or 2 later, right around the time the one in Illinois disappeared.

Don't be trying to debunk my conspiracy theory. The Maryland and Illinois Ape caches both went missing within two weeks of each other in September 2006. Obviously the work of a disgruntled geocacher, or a collaborative effort of disgruntled geocachers. :bad:

Edited out comment about the Trainlove situation, after I see Keystone posted as I was posting. :lol:

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

you know, the best thing about that APE cache was its provenance, its history.

all the old and venerable caches are like that to an extent, but to be at an ammocan on an april morning standing just where hundreds of people had stood, many of them coming hundreds of miles just to do so was a beautiful moment.

do you remember when it was about the trip, about the invisible web of finders? back before it was about how many you could find, or how quickly you could find them? before there were acronyms and people had to use actual words to describe the experience?

"why have you come so far?", they might ask.

because.

because i wanted to share this experience. because i wanted to show what a fine thing i think it is; because tracing and re-tracing the patterns we make on the surface of the earth makes us connected to our place and to each other; because i wanted to be able to stand and say "i have come a long way".

i tell you without a trace of exaggeration or irony that it was very like hearing the voice of God.

if you heard of geocaching and thought: "cool. i would really like to walk miles just to find a box with a few marbles, a golf tee, and a magnifying glass", you know what i'm talking about. you wanted to go see for yourself. you were willing to put yourself in the hands of the hider, to take that leap of faith.

the APE caches are disappearing. find the nearest one while you still can.

you know, the best thing about that APE cache was its provenance, its history.

all the old and venerable caches are like that to an extent, but to be at an ammocan on an april morning standing just where hundreds of people had stood, many of them coming hundreds of miles just to do so was a beautiful moment.

do you remember when it was about the trip, about the invisible web of finders? back before it was about how many you could find, or how quickly you could find them? before there were acronyms and people had to use actual words to describe the experience?

"why have you come so far?", they might ask.

because.

because i wanted to share this experience. because i wanted to show what a fine thing i think it is; because tracing and re-tracing the patterns we make on the surface of the earth makes us connected to our place and to each other; because i wanted to be able to stand and say "i have come a long way".

i tell you without a trace of exaggeration or irony that it was very like hearing the voice of God.

if you heard of geocaching and thought: "cool. i would really like to walk miles just to find a box with a few marbles, a golf tee, and a magnifying glass", you know what i'm talking about. you wanted to go see for yourself. you were willing to put yourself in the hands of the hider, to take that leap of faith.

the APE caches are disappearing. find the nearest one while you still can.

Nice post! Flask, you can definitely see the forest for the trees...

I'm not very good at travelling long distances, but if I ever find myself within a couple hundred miles of an APE cache, I'll surely head that way.

I had the same thought. We were headed to Chicago to see the in-laws. I figured it would be a good time to get the APE cache near there. We had some other things on the list, too, and that one was the last on the agenda.

Unfortunately, we severely underestimated the time it would take to get from one end of the metro area to the other --and we live near something that passes for a smallish big city and had been through Chicago enough times before to know that it can take a while to get from A to Z sometimes. What should have been a twenty minute drive in regular traffic turned into a two hour drive for no apparent reason. We had only allotted one hour.

By the time we got close, the weather had turned foul and it was getting dark. We decided to do it the next time we were in town visiting. It was archived about two months later.

Very poetic, Flask.

I know it may never happen again, but I would like to make a general appeal that there be something akin to the Project A.P.E. caches in the future.

Why? Is it because a fancy new icon makes the world go 'round? Is it because I love merchandising that much?

No. It is because it is something new and different. Reading through the forums we constantly bicker about which caches are lame, which are just the same thing ad nauseum, which are worth seeking out.

Occasional occurrences of something "different" - even in the most basic of senses, gives a new thrill and adds a new layer to the game.

How many of you have filled out a "geocaching fun index" or participated in a "well-rounded cacher" type of challenge?

I believe it is the same thing, at it's core. Even a little (additional) diversity adds a lot of mileage to the geocaching experience.

And yes, I do love them icons.

Edited by nelson crew