Private profiles?

Star*Hopper

Early this morning it occurred to me .. dunno why .. but think for a moment how much more angst-free geocaching - and especially these fora - could be if members could choose to toggle or set their own geocaching profiles to 'private', so only they could access them.

Thoughts?

~*

I've wondered that myself as lots of sites do that. BUT, I hope they don't do it soon. I've been marking your found caches on Google Earth and almost have my triangulation geometry profile complete to locate your house with 99.521 percent accuracy.

I've wondered that myself as lots of sites do that. BUT, I hope they don't do it soon. I've been marking your found caches on Google Earth and almost have my triangulation geometry profile complete to locate your house with 99.521 percent accuracy.

Nope....you almost have your triangulation geometry profile complete enough to the point of the very first question I asked myself when registering for geocaching.com.

Namely, "How stupid would it be to put down my home's geo-coords?" .... and entered something between 3 & 7 miles away.

Then there's 'Slaughter', my Bullmastiff. :lol:

~*

... It will get rid of the "I have more find/hides than you, ..."

EXACT-AMUNDO! That's actually part of the thought train I was on, from which the idea evolved.

Several other reasons why it might be worthwhile, too....just started the topic to see if others might deduce, express & discuss them.

~*

Early this morning it occurred to me .. dunno why .. but think for a moment how much more angst-free geocaching - and especially these fora - could be if members could choose to toggle or set their own geocaching profiles to 'private', so only they could access them.

Thoughts?

~*

Angst generally comes from within. If they ain't happy now, they won't be happy if they lock down their profiles. Especially if they also give folks like me the ability to lock my caches so folks with locked profiles can't hunt them. If it helps think of it as unlocked caches for folks with unlocked profiles.

Another thought on it. Since any finder can take my hard work and trash the area, my cache, and cachings reputation for which I would have to face the consequences I think it fair that I have a fair shot at getting in touch with the finders of my cache one way or another. It's not perfect but open data keeps folks honest.

I've seen some fairly bleak profile pages that tell me virtually nothing about that cacher.

I've seen some pretty detailed pages with enough information to make me feel as if I've known them for years.

As it is, the individual already controls the amount of detail they want to share with the rest of us.

Like wise. My profile is bleak. My logs over time tell a story for those patient, or bored enough to sift through them. We all vary in what, how much, and where we share.

I've seen some fairly bleak profile pages that tell me virtually nothing about that cacher.

I've seen some pretty detailed pages with enough information to make me feel as if I've known them for years.

As it is, the individual already controls the amount of detail they want to share with the rest of us.

Like wise. My profile is bleak. My logs over time tell a story for those patient, or bored enough to sift through them. We all vary in what, how much, and where we share.

The only thing in your profile is a dead link to a homepage and Latin phrase that translates to "Don't let the <jerks> grind you down." I think you have proved the point that it's possible to keep things private the way things are now.

....Like wise. My profile is bleak. My logs over time tell a story for those patient, or bored enough to sift through them. We all vary in what, how much, and where we share.

The only thing in your profile is a dead link...

Whoops. I need to update that...when I get the new homepage to say something other than. "coming soon!".

Really? What control do I have over others poring over the caches - as well as derivative info - that I've logged? Whose business is that, besides me & the cache owner(s)?

Addendum: Meant to include (in the original post) that you could give permission (via password, etc) to admit others of your choosing.

~*

Thoughts?

~*

I don't see how you'll arrive at less angst by shutting people out and making things seem less and less friendly. I know this isn't Facebook, and it shouldn't be, but to completely block other people just seems like it would reduce the kinship the members have.

Thoughts?

~*

That would be like standing in front of a mirror behind a closed door and admiring how wonderful you are.

Jim

Edited by jholly
Really? What control do I have over others poring over the caches - as well as derivative info - that I've logged? Whose business is that, besides me & the cache owner(s)?
If you do not want others to see that you logged a cache, then don't log it. Not to be sarcastic or anything, but online logging exists to show others your logs. No online log, you're all private.

if you want private logs you should just keep an Excel file yourself of your caching. You will then be private.

That would be like standing in front of a mirror behind a closed door and admiring how wonderful you are.

Jim

Excellent thought. What's the point of even having a profile if no one but the member can see it?

Edited to add some additional musings: My name, address and phone number have been in the White Pages of the phone book for more than 40 years, and that's never caused a problem for me, other than the occasional sales call and maybe some junk mail.

This also applies to another thread where someone was concerned about their home coordinates being known by others. I own a home; anyone with access to the Web can look up information about where I live on the county auditor's Web site and see a photo of my house. So what?

--Larry

Edited by larryc43230

Can somebody come up with a good reason why people shouldn't be allowed to hide their stats?

Me personally, why should I have to suffer a fool that thinks he knows more about hiding and finding than I do just because his numbers are larger here? If I could hide my stats then and idiot couldn't try using them to win an argument he is ill equipped to comprehend let alone win.

Same with post counts, just because I don't live on the forums doesn't make what I have to say any less valid.

Thoughts?

~*

Jim

WHAT??????//

One of the best aspects of Geocaching to me has always been the sense of community that comes from sharing logs, stories, adventures, journeys and personal tidbits. I would be a bit saddened if dozens of cachers started blocking all of that from view.

All available on the cache page. We're talking stats, etc. in our own profile page(s).

(Which, incidentally, owners could admit you to if they so chose. Or not.)

~*

If you do not want others to see that you logged a cache, then don't log it. Not to be sarcastic or anything, but online logging exists to show others your logs. No online log, you're all private.

if you want private logs you should just keep an Excel file yourself of your caching. You will then be private.

I think you've also missed the point. I didn't say "online logging"....we're talking profile pages.

~*

One of the best aspects of Geocaching to me has always been the sense of community that comes from sharing logs, stories, adventures, journeys and personal tidbits. I would be a bit saddened if dozens of cachers started blocking all of that from view.

All available on the cache page. We're talking stats, etc. in our own profile page(s).

(Which, incidentally, owners could admit you to if they so chose. Or not.)

~*

Excuse me - I WAS talkiing about the profile page - which includes much of the above.

Jim

Excellent thought. What's the point of even having a profile if no one but the member can see it?

A courtesy or 'service' provided by Groundspeak....a record (MY record) of my dealings with the game.

Edited to add some additional musings: My name, address and phone number have been in the White Pages of the phone book for more than 40 years, and that's never caused a problem for me, other than the occasional sales call and maybe some junk mail.

This also applies to another thread where someone was concerned about their home coordinates being known by others. I own a home; anyone with access to the Web can look up information about where I live on the county auditor's Web site and see a photo of my house. So what?

Thank you for bringing up the point of things being done -that some MIGHT care to've NOT happened- that makes it easier for any 'bad guys' with shenanigans on their mind. We live in different times now, Larry.

~*

I don't see what the point would be as I could easily do a search for caches/TBs found by, Groundspeak removing this feature is almost inconceivable.

Aw what do you know? I've got sock puppets with more posts than you.

tongue.gif

This IS my sock puppet and its got more everything then you :)

FYI Snoogans is my real account

Given the choice I'd rather be able to hide my find count from others. I'm competing with no one but myself and the challenges I set for me. But that is just what I'd like. Not really a big deal either way.

Aw what do you know? I've got sock puppets with more posts than you.

tongue.gif

This IS my sock puppet and its got more everything then you :)

FYI Snoogans is my real account

To be honest I'm not even sure what accounts are the sock puppets any more. Sort of an identity crisis. Is this the real me? How can I tell? I guess I'll need to take some time off to go out into the world and find myself. Or perhaps just a few "Have you seen this guy?" posters on all the local telephone poles. I'm sure someone knows me.

Thank you for bringing up the point of things being done -that some MIGHT care to've NOT happened- that makes it easier for any 'bad guys' with shenanigans on their mind. We live in different times now, Larry.

~*

At the risk of finally attracting that random bad guy :) , as I mentioned, after 40 years nothing bad has happened to me. Of course, I'm also convinced that with this electronic age we live in, if someone wanted to find information about me, it would be out there for the finding no matter how jealously I tried to guard it. I'm careful about my financial information, and things like my SSN and other key identifiers. I just don't worry about things like my caching stats or even my home address and phone number. Life's too short.

Edited to add: As for my caching stats, I don't care one way or the other if anyone sees that stuff. I keep all sorts of stats on my profile page. Not for the sake of any sort of competition, just because I think they're interesting. If anyone else also finds them interesting, so much the better.

--Larry

Edited by larryc43230
OK. So the bad guy learns that I found a geocache in Indiana a few weeks ago. How does this information benefit him and hurt me?

Because he can claim that since he's found 3,000 caches and you've only found 150, he's obviously a better cacher than you.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure how that benefits him and hurts you either. :)

Edited by Mushtang

Yeah, I've been using ZSandmann as my online avatar for 15 years now. It is pretty easy to track my online activities really, but I'm not concerned. I can Google myself and see all the sites I'm a member of. I don't have a problem with stats or public profiles. I like to see what others in my area are doing, what caches are being found, etc. Sure I track my finds versuses others, but just for personal goals and motivation to get outside and hunt. I guess I just don't see why some are so against it. I know several people that have had thereselves removed from the Grand High Poobah pages, I didn't really get that either.

OK. So the bad guy learns that I found a geocache in Indiana a few weeks ago. How does this information benefit him and hurt me?

Because he can claim that since he's found 3,000 caches and you've only found 150, he's obviously a better cacher than you.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure how that benefits him and hurts you either. :)

Because said declaration is typically used by the higher stat holder to derail discussion they perceive to be an argument when they start loosing. Derailing no matter how minor or temporary causes angst even amongst people that claim to be so adult as to be above it.

Because said declaration is typically used by the higher stat holder to derail discussion they perceive to be an argument when they start loosing. Derailing no matter how minor or temporary causes angst even amongst people that claim to be so adult as to be above it.
Having this data also serves to eliminate angst by helping to identify sockpuppets and those who troll by making statements contrary to their stats.

I haven't seen people say "I've found more, so I'm smarter than you are" in here, but maybe I've missed it?? I have seen people try to compare their stats with others, but most of us realize this is meaningless.

Having this data also serves to eliminate angst by helping to identify sockpuppets and those who troll by making statements contrary to their stats.

Allow me to make a slight correction to this statement.

Having this data also serves to eliminate angst by helping to identify some sockpuppets and those who troll by making statements contrary to their stats.

Those that have been around long enough can go and quickly find CO's that don't post in the forums and create phony stats, even more effective if they do it over time. Your only going to out an unintelligent jerk using stats.

The best solution I can see that can make more people happy is....

Give us the ability to selectively hide stats. ie turn off the display for hides and or finds.

Should an individual decide to hide their find count, display a link that will display links to 5 random logs by said user.

Allow me to make a slight correction to this statement.
Having this data also serves to eliminate angst by helping to identify some sockpuppets and those who troll by making statements contrary to their stats.
Those that have been around long enough can go and quickly find CO's that don't post in the forums and create phony stats, even more effective if they do it over time. Your only going to out an unintelligent jerk using stats.
My post allowed for this fact. No alteration was necessary.

Give us the ability to selectively hide stats. ie turn off the display for hides and or finds.

Should an individual decide to hide their find count, display a link that will display links to 5 random logs by said user.

Your '5 random logs' solution would not address my issue.

Here's a real example:

A cacher pops into a anti-micro thread and argues that micros smell and that he long ago stopped looking for them. It turns out that he is merely trolling as a quick review of his stats reveals that he owns 3 micros and logged ten of them as finds less than a week prior. His stats are pertainent to the thread, but the '5 random logs' would not bear out the truth.

Also, the reality of the situation is that a very, very small subset of people appear want this change while at least as many want to keep the proposed change form happening because it would negatively affect their enjoyment. Why should TPTB make a change that will dissatisfy as many customers as it would please, given that there is no operational reason for the change?

Edited by sbell111

~*

At the risk of finally attracting that random bad guy :) , as I mentioned, after 40 years nothing bad has happened to me. Of course, I'm also convinced that with this electronic age we live in, if someone wanted to find information about me, it would be out there for the finding no matter how jealously I tried to guard it. I'm careful about my financial information, and things like my SSN and other key identifiers. I just don't worry about things like my caching stats or even my home address and phone number. Life's too short.

Edited to add: As for my caching stats, I don't care one way or the other if anyone sees that stuff. I keep all sorts of stats on my profile page. Not for the sake of any sort of competition, just because I think they're interesting. If anyone else also finds them interesting, so much the better.

--Larry

I agree with Larry on all his points. I have been using my real name on hundreds of forums and blogs and logs and you name it for years now. I am leaving a legacy for Jr.and my other seven kids to look up someday when I am long gone hahahaha I even use my name for one of my many websites (www.frankbroughton.us). Now SSI number, CC information and such I am very careful about. I have complex passwords that I change often for banking and online purchasing. I find stats in fellow cachers profiles interesting. Competetion in geocaching - that is a joke. It is simple, easy and probably common to cheat with logs. Who really compairs the log sheet in your cache to the logs online? Maybe only 5% of the obsessed with a disorder of some sort. :D

If ye want to be private - keep no information in your profile, it is your option.

My post allowed for this fact. No alteration was necessary.

Only for those that do not need bluntness.

The thing is, a very, very small subset of people want this change while at least as many want to keep the proposed change form happening because it would negatively affect their enjoyment. Why should TPTB make a change that will dissatisfy as many customers as it would please, given that there is no operational reason for the change?

Do you mean a very small subset of vocal people?

I know one person that is active on the forum who thinks that it should be changed but is to meek to voice the opinion.

I'm related to an idiot (his coords are always 20' off W by SW and wont listen) who wont post in the forums (and rightly so) because of numbers issues.

I also know two others who use puppets in the forums because the don't want any one to falsely give respect or disrespect based on their numbers.

This wish to hide stats is gradually growing it's vocal supporters but it doesn't appear that anti-proponents are increasing.

Out side of catching sloppy trolls and puppets or reading logs, why shouldn't the ability to hide stats be given?

Actually take a troll out of the equation because they are quickly spotted without using stats.

This wish to hide stats is gradually growing it's vocal supporters but it doesn't appear that anti-proponents are increasing.

I don't see any particular trend one way or the other. There are very few people bothering to reply in this thread (especially when compared to a few hundred thousand active geocachers, and at least hundreds who visit these forums). How can these dozen or so people, plus the non-posters you seem to know, indicate any trend at all?

Out side of catching sloppy trolls and puppets or reading logs, why shouldn't the ability to hide stats be given?

Actually take a troll out of the equation because they are quickly spotted without using stats.

Groundspeak has a good number of real, annoying bugs that are in need of being squashed. I'm not even counting the annoyingly bad performance of this forum software and hardware. Given the relative lack of enthusiasm for the change that's being discussed, I vote for their resources being dedicated to fixing the bugs before adding features for which there's no overwhelming excitement or demand.

If, after those bugs are finally remedied, there's time for TPTB to offer private profiles as an option, more power to them. Personally, I doubt if very many cachers will use the feature. Then again, I'm not claiming to have any stats or opinion polls to back up that feeling.

Just my 2 cents.

--Larry

Groundspeak has a good number of real, annoying bugs that are in need of being squashed. I'm not even counting the annoyingly bad performance of this forum software and hardware

There are 245 some domains registered to Groundspeak - heres hoping that they are all not on one machine! This forum for sure needs its own dedicated server and one with much RAM and a fast processor.

geocaching.com .net and many other of Groundspeak's domains are up for registration this summer. Getting close to the limit for such popular domain names. They need to be renewed ASAP!

...To be honest I'm not even sure what accounts are the sock puppets any more. Sort of an identity crisis. Is this the real me? How can I tell? I guess I'll need to take some time off to go out into the world and find myself. Or perhaps just a few "Have you seen this guy?" posters on all the local telephone poles. I'm sure someone knows me.

Dude: If you fill out the profiles with key informatin it can help you keep track. But you need to make them public so if you are logged in as one sock when you need another you can do a quick check and avoid ringbone syndrome.

I'm just sayin...

I don't see any particular trend one way or the other. There are very few people bothering to reply in this thread (especially when compared to a few hundred thousand active geocachers, and at least hundreds who visit these forums). How can these dozen or so people, plus the non-posters you seem to know, indicate any trend at all?

I'm only citing cases as a basis of "how do you know what the true numbers are?" I also know statistically there are people that don't want stats hidden that also don't speak up and those that could give a RA no matter what direction it went.

I also can't say what you do or do not know about the trend in posts all I can say is that every time I see this topic come up I see new pro-ers speaking up and the and the anti-ers are the same people.

I'm loath to point this out but I also notice that the anti crowd also have nice stats that protect them from garbage accusations.

Groundspeak has a good number of real, annoying bugs that are in need of being squashed. I'm not even counting the annoyingly bad performance of this forum software and hardware. Given the relative lack of enthusiasm for the change that's being discussed, I vote for their resources being dedicated to fixing the bugs before adding features for which there's no overwhelming excitement or demand.

If, after those bugs are finally remedied, there's time for TPTB to offer private profiles as an option, more power to them. Personally, I doubt if very many cachers will use the feature. Then again, I'm not claiming to have any stats or opinion polls to back up that feeling.

Just my 2 cents.

--Larry

I agree that GS need to fix important bugs before implementing something like stat hiding but that doesn't mean that this issue should be swept under the rug either.

Personally I wouldn't use the feature until my find GC.com finds exceed 500 because I'll shred anyone that would attempt to use such a childish argument. After all there is the potential for pseudonyms on other sites and a game where geocaching may not have grown from but still considers geocaching a easier version of.