How do I know if my GPS is giving accurate coordinates?

jdlintner

I have a Magellan Triton 400. I think I have done my homework on how to use this device and find my first geocache. I have tried three times, each with no luck. I drive and park at a location that I think should be within .5 miles of the cache. And each time my GPS unit shows the cache to be much further away. This has varied from 1 to 32 miles. In the case of the cache that was within one mile, based on the description I was very sure it was in this park along a paved path. But my GPS showed the cache still 1 mile away which would have been in someones backyard.

How can I be sure my GPS is functioning properly? I am tempted to return it and get another model or different unit.

For a Triton the best way is to hold your hand palm facing upwardand place the unit in the palm of your hand. Then walk over to the nearest trash basket andturn your hand over.

Seriously, first make sure you have it set to the correct datum, which should be WGS-84. If you have the wrong datum it could be waaay off.

If your datum is good and you are still getting readings up to 32 miles off you may have a defective unit. In which case if you can still exchange it, I would advise you to do so because dealing with Magellan's customer service can be torture. I know our new president outlawed torture, so the CIA can no longer force prisoners to call Magellan customer service because it is considered cruel. Unfortunately for Magellan customers they don't have the same protection.

For a Triton the best way is to hold your hand palm facing upwardand place the unit in the palm of your hand. Then walk over to the nearest trash basket andturn your hand over.

Seriously, first make sure you have it set to the correct datum, which should be WGS-84. If you have the wrong datum it could be waaay off.

If your datum is good and you are still getting readings up to 32 miles off you may have a defective unit. In which case if you can still exchange it, I would advise you to do so because dealing with Magellan's customer service can be torture. I know our new president outlawed torture, so the CIA can no longer force prisoners to call Magellan customer service because it is considered cruel. Unfortunately for Magellan customers they don't have the same protection.

Nice to know that Magellan customer service has the same reputation in handheld as it does in automotive GPS. :lol: You don't have to look too hard to find out that it's baaaad choice.

I verified I am using the right Datum. I think I have a defective unit. I am going to return it. What would you recommend instead of a Magellan? I am a beginner so I certainly don't need the most sophisticated unit. I was also wondering if there are devices that have street GPS also so the unit could function for dual purpose?

Edited by jdlintner

I verified I am using the right Datum. I think I have a defective unit. I am going to return it. What would you recommend instead of a Magellan? I am a beginner so I certainly don't need the most sophisticated unit. I was also wondering if there are devices that have street GPS also so the unit could function for dual purpose?

Check out the Garmin 60CSX, Garmin 76CSX, Garmin Legend HCX, Garmin Vista HCX and Delorme PN-40. The Garmins will also give you street GPS (60CSX is best for this use) with additional software. The Delome PN-40 will do it out of the box.

I have a Magellan and have no problems at all, once it set up right. I get on top of a cache most times within 10ft, if not closer. Friend had a Garmin and took his back for a Magellan and thinks he made a good decision.

I have a Magellan and have no problems at all, once it set up right. I get on top of a cache most times within 10ft, if not closer. Friend had a Garmin and took his back for a Magellan and thinks he made a good decision.

I like mine, get almost all the cache info and gets me real close.