Garmin Maps: DVDs vs. Cards

geojibby

With the versatility of DVD/CD maps why would anyone buy maps on micro SD cards??? I don't get it.

~: For the record, I don't have a mapping GPSr yet, but am getting one soon. I am still doing research, especially about the maps, hence this question. Thanks. :D

In the case of the street maps, if you have two gps units that are not used at the same time you can move the card from one unit to the other. These maps are locked to a specific gps unit if your using a DVD, but inthe case of the card the license goes with the card. This might be a consideration if you frequently upgrade. Another reason is they don't know how or don't want to deal with downloading maps. Also, some of the 24K topo maps are only available on cards.

Jim

Edited by jholly

With the versatility of DVD/CD maps why would anyone buy maps on micro SD cards??? I don't get it.

~: For the record, I don't have a mapping GPSr yet, but am getting one soon. I am still doing research, especially about the maps, hence this question. Thanks. :D

Well, not everyone that owns a GPS has a computer.

Edited by coggins

In my case, the card was free, while the DVD would have cost me around a hundred bucks (long story). So for me, the choice was clear.

Well I assume, but I can't verify this, that you must lock the map to a single GPS unit. Just like with CN. Here's the Webpage, I can find no mention about locking. Does anyone know?

topo 2008 does not require locking. The National Parks topo do not require locking. I called about the new 24k DVD topos, I was assured they do not require locking.

Jim

Well I assume, but I can't verify this, that you must lock the map to a single GPS unit. Just like with CN. Here's the Webpage, I can find no mention about locking. Does anyone know?

The SD card maps are "locked" to the SD card they are on. Yo can move that card to any GPSr that will accept maps on an SD card and use it there. You can *not* copy the maps to another SD card, or directly to a GPSr though.

In the case of the street maps, if you have two gps units that are not used at the same time you can move the card from one unit to the other. These maps are locked to a specific gps unit if your using a DVD, but inthe case of the card the license goes with the card.

Excellent! That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the post. My related question is, if you purchase two map cards, say a topo and a street, can you copy the contents of both cards onto one larger card and load both maps at the same time? Or are you stuck with one map at a time?

In the case of the street maps, if you have two gps units that are not used at the same time you can move the card from one unit to the other. These maps are locked to a specific gps unit if your using a DVD, but inthe case of the card the license goes with the card.

Excellent! That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the post. My related question is, if you purchase two map cards, say a topo and a street, can you copy the contents of both cards onto one larger card and load both maps at the same time? Or are you stuck with one map at a time?

The street maps are locked to the sd card, they can not be copied. Not sure about the topo cards, you might be able to copy them.

Jim

The simple answer is, No, you can't copy them onto a single card. Yes, you are stuck with one map at a time.

That's not as big a deal as it sounds. You can't display them both simultaneously on the GPS anyway. Either you fumble around swapping map cards or you fumble around in the menus on the GPS to turn on the one you want to see and turn off the other one. Neither is a big deal, only a minor nuisance.

...ken...

Edited by Ken in Regina

I have two GPS units. And I already had CN 2008 on my PC. So buying the card made sense. That way I can move the card if I want to swap GPS units or use one for road navigation and the other for caching with topo maps.

I just got a vista Cx. I'm looking at upgrading so I can use it for street navigation and topo maps. My problem is that I don't want to spend a lot of money.

I don't mind taking the card out after I drive to the trail to start caching but will that mess me up?

Should I buy CN on micro sd and then get the topo dvd? Or do it the other way around? Or some other combo?

What happens if I get a 2g card? What is the advantage?

I haven't even gotten started yet so I don't know anything. This is all a little confusing.

The street maps are locked to the sd card, they can not be copied. Not sure about the topo cards, you might be able to copy them.

Jim

To the best of my knowledge, I don't beleive that you can copy the topo cards either.

DVD vs SD card FAQ

CD/DVD

+ You can install software in as many pc you like

+ Easy to take a copy of the software. (Copy of the key is stored at Garmin)

+ You can plan a trip ahead, study the map on PC with a big screen.

+ You can mix other maps and send to GPS

+ Maps can be stored on GPS or SD card (most GPS do support 8GB)

- Can be used in one GSP only if the map are locked with a key, like City Navigator (you need to buy a new copy for next GPS)

SD Card (with preinstalled maps)

+ Can be used in many GPS (but only one at a time)

- Not possible to take backup of the map

- If you loose the card or brake it, you need to order a new

- You can not plan trip on PC

- Cannot be combined with other maps on the SD Card

(You can move the img file to GPS internal memory, but maps will not work if SD card is removed)

Conclusion

Do not order SD card with maps, get DVD, since the flexibility is so much greater.

Edited by jotne

DVD vs SD card FAQ

CD/DVD

- Can be used in one GSP only (you need to buy a new copy for next GPS)

Not true when it comes to topo maps. They are not locked to a GPS unit. I know this for a fact because I went through several GPS units and never asked for a new code, nor did I have a problem loading maps on these new units.

Jim

All GPS I have tested (Colorado, 60CSx, Nüvi 660, 760) do all wrok with 8GB, and my guess is that they also will work with 16GB and 32GB.

Nüvi and Colorado/Oregon do support 4GB img file. 60CSx do support 2GB.

You can do what I do

Have this file in my GPS

gmapsupp.img-us

gmapsupp.img-eu

gmapsupp.img-topo

Then I take the SD (micro) card in to my cell phone and rename the needed file to gmapsupp.img

All GPS I have tested (Colorado, 60CSx, Nüvi 660, 760) do all wrok with 8GB, and my guess is that they also will work with 16GB and 32GB.

I have used a 16GB card in my Colorado 300 when I still had it.

Then I take the SD (micro) card in to my cell phone and rename the needed file to gmapsupp.img

I use this technique to manipulate geocache GPX files on my Colorado & Oregon to get around the 2000 geocache limit. I put all GPX files on the memory card, and use my phone (or PDA) to move them around to change which ones are visible to the GPSr (in the /Garmin/GPX folder).

(This is some off topic)

I do not use GPX for geochace for two reason.

1. Only 2000 cache

2. Do only work on Colorado/Oregon

So I do use the Nüvi macro and convert all GPX POI to POI gpi files.

No limit on number of cache.

The only thing I can not do, compare to GPX geocache is to mark a cache as found.

(may be more, but not that I do remember)

Edited by jotne

Nüvi and Colorado/Oregon do support 4GB img file. 60CSx do support 2GB.

You can do what I do

Have this file in my GPS

gmapsupp.img-us

gmapsupp.img-eu

gmapsupp.img-topo

First time I have seen that a Garmin unit will support a gmapsupp.img above 2Gb. Any know if Garmin will have a firmware/software update for the 76CSx/60CSx/etc to also support a single 4Gb gmapsupp.img file?

Is the segment limit still at 2048(?), or has it also been increased?

Nüvi seems to have a limit to around 3850

More info her:

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=83384

According to this page, Colrodado do have 4000-5000 segments:

http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/Colorado+vs+60csx

There is a way around the limitation, more info her:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=170615

Edited by jotne

DVD vs SD card FAQ

CD/DVD

- Can be used in one GSP only (you need to buy a new copy for next GPS)

Not true when it comes to topo maps. They are not locked to a GPS unit. I know this for a fact because I went through several GPS units and never asked for a new code, nor did I have a problem loading maps on these new units.

Jim

Sorry Jim, I think you're missing the point, here's the quote:

CD/DVD

- Can be used in one GSP only if the map are locked with a key, like City Navigator (you need to buy a new copy for next GPS)

TOPO Canada=NO LOCK

TOPO Great Britain=LOCKED (roads by NavTeq)

TOPO Australia=your guess(roads by NavTeq)

TOPO US 24K DVD=unverified (roads by NavTeq)

TOPO US 24K National Parks=NO LOCK

TOPO US & US 2008 100K=NO LOCK

Basically, if the maps have third party routing by NavTeq, they get locked to prevent thief. In house maps like TOPO US 2008 don't get locked because Garmin doesn't answer to anyone else.

Edited by coggins

TOPO US 24K=LOCKED

Basically, if the maps have third party routing data such as NavTech, they get locked to prevent thief. In house maps like TOPO US 2008 don't get locked because Garmin doesn't answer to anyone else.

I disagree. I have the 24k national park topo with routing and it does not require a unlock code. I asked Garmin about the new 24k maps and they said they do not require an unlock code. The web page does not mention an unlock code.

Jim

TOPO US 24K=LOCKED

Basically, if the maps have third party routing data such as NavTech, they get locked to prevent thief. In house maps like TOPO US 2008 don't get locked because Garmin doesn't answer to anyone else.

I disagree. I have the 24k national park topo with routing and it does not require a unlock code. I asked Garmin about the new 24k maps and they said they do not require an unlock code. The web page does not mention an unlock code.

Jim

We're talking about the new 24K TOPO set, not the National park version. Let me know when you have the new version in hand how it works. People with the microSD card have reported that the maps are indeed locked.

Edited by coggins
All this time in this thread, off topics and all....no has even mentioned that using the pre-programmed cards prevents the user from "logging tracks to card".......
That feature has been deleted from newer models (CO, OR, Nuvi). I think because of their increased internal memory. So is the point still relevant?
I called about the new 24k DVD topos, I was assured they do not require locking.
TOPO US 24K=LOCKED

These two statement are counter to each other. I also assumed that because of the Navteq content, the 24K Topos would be locked. But, Jim did call and "was assured they do not require locking", that's unambiguous to me.

Until someone purchases a copy on DVD, we have FUD.

Only relevant if a user has something OTHER than (CO,OR,Nuvi)......and that constitutes a greater % of the population

Wouldn't the 24K maps (not incl the 24K NP maps) being available only on card (up until now ALL, and still Some) and user prevented from transferring maps to PC etc , be at least a "form" of locking. They are "locked" to the card but the card can be moved from GPS to GPS.

Edited by Grasscatcher
I called about the new 24k DVD topos, I was assured they do not require locking.
TOPO US 24K=LOCKED

These two statement are counter to each other. I also assumed that because of the Navteq content, the 24K Topos would be locked. But, Jim did call and "was assured they do not require locking", that's unambiguous to me.

Until someone purchases a copy on DVD, we have FUD.

If Jim says that someone from Garmin told him they we not locked, it's good enough for me. Carry on.

First off, I would like to say I don't advocate downloading illegal software, but with that said there is a way to unlock city nav for any unit......but you didn't hear that from me. Personally I feel if you bought the map, you bought the map and if you decide to give Garmin $400 for a new unit, you shouldn't be punished by the map being locked to your old unit. But that's just my $0.02. And back to the original topic, I can't see any advantage to buying maps on cards. There is a huge lack of versatility, not to mention the possibility of losing a microSD if you are trying to switch out mapsets in the field

Edited by chadh08

First off, I would like to say I don't advocate downloading illegal software, but with that said there is a way to unlock city nav for any unit......but you didn't hear that from me. Personally I feel if you bought the map, you bought the map and if you decide to give Garmin $400 for a new unit, you shouldn't be punished by the map being locked to your old unit. But that's just my $0.02. And back to the original topic, I can't see any advantage to buying maps on cards. There is a huge lack of versatility, not to mention the possibility of losing a microSD if you are trying to switch out mapsets in the field

The flaw in your argument is that you did not buy the MAP, you bought a license to USE the map. Big difference.

Jim

This thread is about DVD vs Preprogrammed Card, not about locked and not loced card.

Using a preprogrammed SD card do not prevent the GPS to log track.

Only if you make the card read only (micro SD can not be set to read only with jumper, only standard SD)

But If you are going to add more data to the card, do take backup of the map file, so if you delete it by accident, you can restore it.

Using a DVD is still far better then using a preprogrammed card.