Already found symbol at cache details

Zivi im Dienst

Is it possible to place a symbol or something like this on every Cache Details Site showing me, that I have already found this cache?

May be like the arrows on the search-site with the nearest caches to my home coordinates?

I´d like to have the symbol next to the cache name or the cache code.

The symbol must only be visible, if the logged in user has already found this cache.

What do you think?

Edited by Zivi im Dienst
If you are a firefox user, and use greasemonkey scripts, using Lil Devil's Greasemonkey Scripts and install

Geocaching Bag-o-Tricks

it will do a number of enhancements to your geocache page that are all prob against the TOS of Groundspeak, but isnt everything?

When I run Greasemonkey, it really slows down my browser. Has anyone else noticed that?

Geocaching Bag-o-Tricks

it will do a number of enhancements to your geocache page that are all prob against the TOS of Groundspeak, but isnt everything?

LilDevil's Bag-o-Tricks are all in compliance with the geocaching TOS, as far as I know. I would be shocked if they were not, seeing as how LD is practically one of TPTB!

When I run Greasemonkey, it really slows down my browser. Has anyone else noticed that?

I don't see that with Greasemonkey.

However, several years ago when I first tried Firefox, I got all excited and also installed a bunch of extensions for it. Then I couldn't understand why Firefox was so slow, to the point it took tens of seconds to load any web page, even on a fast connection. So I went back to IE (gasp!). Then while hiking to a cache with some friends, someone suggested that there may be an extension conflict. When I got home, I disabled *all* the Firefox extensions, and it then ran nice and fast. Then I enabled the extensions, one by one, until I saw the slowdown. Then I disabled all the others and it sped up again. I then enabled the remaining ones, one by one again, until I found the conflict. IIRC, one of the problem extensions was TabBrowser or something like that. I found another extension, Tab Mix Plus, which does the same thing only better, and doesn't conflict with anything else. Firefox has been fast ever since.

Yeah, it was a little bit of work, but isn't everything good in life?

I don't see that with Greasemonkey.

However, several years ago when I first tried Firefox, I got all excited and also installed a bunch of extensions for it. Then I couldn't understand why Firefox was so slow, to the point it took tens of seconds to load any web page, even on a fast connection. So I went back to IE (gasp!). Then while hiking to a cache with some friends, someone suggested that there may be an extension conflict. When I got home, I disabled *all* the Firefox extensions, and it then ran nice and fast. Then I enabled the extensions, one by one, until I saw the slowdown. Then I disabled all the others and it sped up again. I then enabled the remaining ones, one by one again, until I found the conflict. IIRC, one of the problem extensions was TabBrowser or something like that. I found another extension, Tab Mix Plus, which does the same thing only better, and doesn't conflict with anything else. Firefox has been fast ever since.

Yeah, it was a little bit of work, but isn't everything good in life?

Thanks Big Dog! :unsure: That was probably my problem too. I kind of went bonkers with cool extensions too. I tried deleting a bunch when Firefox got slow, but I ended up just disabling all of them.

Edit: I tried just Greasemonkey with your Bag of Tricks extension and it seems to be fast. I did notice the smiley next to the cache name on the caches I've found. Cool! However, it doesn't show up if I found the cache a long time ago. However, if I hit "View them all on one page" then it will show up. So maybe bag of Tricks could also automatically show all logs too! It is kind a pain in the neck to click that all the time.

Edited by TrailGators

.... if I hit "View them all on one page" then it will show up. ...

OK, but thats not what I mean. Then I could hit "view then all on one page" an search for my Name...

Isn´t it an interesting feature for all users?

And my suggestion isn´t only for firefox users...

Yes it is. The Firefox extension is just a good way to try out the feature.

I found an extension to show all logs here.

Edited by TrailGators

OK, but thats not what I mean. Then I could hit "view then all on one page" an search for my Name...

I doubt you will see the feature added. It would add significantly to the database walking. For every cache listed, GS would have to check every log (as opposed to the current few) to see if you have found it. Multiply that by every cache page visited and it is a lot of extra processing.

I doubt you will see the feature added. It would add significantly to the database walking. For every cache listed, GS would have to check every log (as opposed to the current few) to see if you have found it. Multiply that by every cache page visited and it is a lot of extra processing.

I really expect that we may see this feature implemented at some time in the future. The additional query on the database to see if the current user has found the cache is really insignificant to what is already being hit to generate the cache page. After all there is already a join on the logs table to list the logs. If your log is in the last 5 logs there would be zero increased hits to the database to implement this, but since this isn't usually the case it would probably be a join on your found logs to see if there are any for this cache. The reason that this hasn't been implemented yet is that it is very low priority. One can click on the show all nearby caches to see if the caches has been found or click on the Geocaching Google maps to see if it shows a smiley face. Very few people actually run out to find a cache they have already found just because they looked at the page. Generally they will look a bit further and usually will remember that they did find this cache.

I really expect that we may see this feature implemented at some time in the future. The additional query on the database to see if the current user has found the cache is really insignificant to what is already being hit to generate the cache page. After all there is already a join on the logs table to list the logs. If your log is in the last 5 logs there would be zero increased hits to the database to implement this, but since this isn't usually the case it would probably be a join on your found logs to see if there are any for this cache. The reason that this hasn't been implemented yet is that it is very low priority. One can click on the show all nearby caches to see if the caches has been found or click on the Geocaching Google maps to see if it shows a smiley face. Very few people actually run out to find a cache they have already found just because they looked at the page. Generally they will look a bit further and usually will remember that they did find this cache.

What percentage of cache listing visits are followed by "Show All Logs"??? I would think it is low compared to the 100% required to implement this. I could be wrong and I have no problem in GS implementing such an improvement. But I wouldn't bet the ranch on it.

What percentage of cache listing visits are followed by "Show All Logs"??? I would think it is low compared to the 100% required to implement this. I could be wrong and I have no problem in GS implementing such an improvement. But I wouldn't bet the ranch on it.

The percentage is very high in higher population areas. Edited by TrailGators

The percentage is very high in higher population areas.

How do you know this? I am in an area of 3 million people and I have 4000 caches within 100 km. I hardly ever do a Show All Logs when I look at a cache listing.

How do you know this? I am in an area of 3 million people and I have 4000 caches within 100 km. I hardly ever do a Show All Logs when I look at a cache listing.

Only the past 5 logs are shown. Most caches have more than 5 finders.

I understand that. You missed the point.

There is very seldom the need to look at more than 5 logs when looking at a cache listing. The ability to put a "Found" icon would require the server to walk the entire database chain to see if the query person has a Found log. And it would have to do it EVERY TIME that someone looked at a cache listing. Right now, the server only has to retrieve the last 5 logs. And I am saying that the bulk of the cache listing views by users do not go beyond those 5 logs. I seldom click on Show All Logs. The extra load on the servers would be quite large.

<snip..>

There is very seldom the need to look at more than 5 logs when looking at a cache listing. The ability to put a "Found" icon would require the server to walk the entire database chain to see if the query person has a Found log. And it would have to do it EVERY TIME that someone looked at a cache listing. Right now, the server only has to retrieve the last 5 logs. And I am saying that the bulk of the cache listing views by users do not go beyond those 5 logs. I seldom click on Show All Logs. The extra load on the servers would be quite large.

However the query to determine that one has found a particular cache is not as costly as you think. It does not involved searching every log in the database or even every log for a cache. The log table is likely to be indexed on cacher id as well as cache id so the the query simply need to return the count of logs for this cache of type='Found It' and cacher_id=<current users id>. Since these indexes already exist the cost of this query is minor in comparison to what is already needed to generate the cache page. There is a tiny cost and there is programming involved and since there are good workarounds the change has low priority. But to dismiss it as too costly an operation to perform when displaying the cache page is just plain wrong. BTW - PQs are generated on a different server (and I believe they use a replicated database), so adding functionality to the online website doesn't effect the ability of the PQ servers at all (except perhaps to slow the replication so the PQ server is always a few minutes behind the latest updates. There have been a number of threads where a person gets a My Finds query that is missing a couple of their finds they entered just prior to requesting the PQ.)

I didn't miss the point I answered your exact question. If you had a point to make you should have just stated it to begin with. The bottom line is that it's up TPTB to decide whether or not to do this. If enough people think it would be handy then they might if it isn't too tough to do. So I'm basically saying that it would be handy for me...