Deleteing bug drop notes - Acceptable?

baloo&bd

Not really seeking advice because frankly, I am going to keep doing it, however I would like to see what others think.

Recently a found it log on a cache I found was deleted. I didn't think much of it since this cacher tends to delete lots of found it logs (a whole thread in itself) however I saw them post s note that the reason they deleted my particular one was because I had deleted their logs. Once again I was dumbfounded until I realized they were talking about a "Dropped TB" note on one of my caches.

For quite some time I have made a practice of deleting these type when I find/see them on my caches. It does not affect the bug or the user picking up or dropping them. I originally did this because there were still many cachers in my area using printouts at the time and it cut down the logs that did not help them. Now I do it because those of use with Treos, Blackberries, etc. go to the web site from the field and have to scroll through these logs in the field. A minor irritant, but an irritant none the less.

I am starting to see it become more popular. Would you be upset if yours got deleted? Why?

Understand, I am not talking about a note that has any content. I do leave those. I am talking about the "Left TB", "Dropping off TB", "Moving bug along" and their ilk.

Personally, I don't like commenting on whether or not I drop a bug. Often, if when I forget to drop one, I'll post a note on the page to facilitate the drop, and delete the note myself.

That said, I don't think I'd delete bug drop notes on my cache pages. Not that I think it's wrong (I don't), but it's just not the way I am. I'd move on, and just ignore the guy, especially if he deletes logs like it appears he does.

Maybe a polite and pre-emptive move would be to let the logger know you were going to delete their log? I know I've had this happen to me before, and I couldn't figure out why someone would delete my log (until, after looking, I noticed it was merely a bug drop log).

It's always up to you, this is merely a suggestion. Could save yourself from needing to post a thread like this one!

i don't even delete logs of people i hate.

while the preferred method is to delete your OWN drop notes, it is probably best not to delete someone else's drop note. perhaps they view the note as part of their history, even though it's of negligible importance.

It's possible that they don't realize that it doesn't affect the status of the TB/geocoin and is simply removing the note. I can see why someone might be upset about that if they thought you were in some way changing the travels of a traveler.

I'd have no problem since I delete the drop note as well.

My first thought is that you would have to expect that some people wouldn't understand what you were doing and might become (ahem) very concerned that you were affecting their stats or the bug tracking,

Personally I don't know if trimming logs is really that beneficial. Are the present logs truly that necessary to search for your cache? Seems like a lot of busy work just to help some cacher who shouldn't be scamming for log hints in the first place.

If I had time to trim logs so people know that there were a bunch of DNFs on my cache I should be out checking on it instead or upping the Difficulty.

Edited by BlueDeuce

If there's no relevant content, it wouldn't bother me. But since I didn't realize until yesterday that it does not affect the log of the TB, I would appreciate a note from you explaining that and why you deleted it. And deleting your log because you deleted their note... that's just petty. But off topic.

For quite some time I have made a practice of deleting these type when I find/see them on my caches. It does not affect the bug or the user picking up or dropping them.

Understand, I am not talking about a note that has any content. I do leave those. I am talking about the "Left TB", "Dropping off TB", "Moving bug along" and their ilk.

Periodically, I'll go through all my hides, and delete notes that have no longer have relevance. For example, a "needs maintenance" note from two years ago, on a cache that was fixed immediately? No relevance. Away it goes.

"Fluff" notes get the same treatment.

I agree with you doing that, and it shouldn't bother anyone (thought it probably will <G>).

I prefer it when people delete their bug drop logs on my caches, but I don't go through my cache pages and delete them.

The only time I ever delete any logs is for phony finds, and once I deleted bunch of notes when an ongoing conversation broke out on a cache page. I didn't think that was the place for it.

I seldom just drop a TB...usually there is a find involved. Sometimes I forget when I post the find, and all you can do is post a 'TB DROP!' note, which I always immediately delete.

In my opinion, a 'TB DROP!' note is like an empty candy wrapper left lying on the cache page.

Which TB? A year later, who cares? If the poster has nothing more to say about their action, then it's just taking up space.

Delete 'em!

OTOH, if the poster takes the time to write a true log describing the TB and why they dropped it in your cache, then it IS relevant, and should stay as a part of the cache's history.

I seldom just drop a TB...usually there is a find involved. Sometimes I forget when I post the find, and all you can do is post a 'TB DROP!' note, which I always immediately delete.

i usually forget, which means almost very time i move a TB, i have to write a note. thank GOODNESS i learned how to delete all these extra notes.

Maybe a polite and pre-emptive move would be to let the logger know you were going to delete their log? I know I've had this happen to me before, and I couldn't figure out why someone would delete my log (until, after looking, I noticed it was merely a bug drop log).

It's always up to you, this is merely a suggestion. Could save yourself from needing to post a thread like this one!

I agree with that, when I get that email out of the blue that my log was deleted, I find it rather rude. I leave those on my Cache listings, they're part of the history.

I leave those on my Cache listings, they're part of the history.

Understand we're not talking about lines like "Ask not what caching can do for you, ask...." We're talking about "Bug Drop", "Dropping TB" or even "...". Hardly part of the history of anything.

Edited by baloo&bd

Understand we're not talking about lines like "Ask not what caching can do for you, ask...." We're talking about "Bug Drop", "Dropping TB" or even "...". Hardly part of the history of anything.

I disagree, they are part of the history of the events that have taken place at my Cache. I leave them intact.

In the most simple answer to the question..."Deleting bug drop notes - Acceptable?"...Yes, it's Acceptable, but I don't do it. It would be courteous to inform the note writer of your reason, either before or after. This step can easily prevent them from thinking that you are being rude or malicious.

Yes, it is. It's part of the history of what bugs have stopped at that cache. If people want their TB logs deleted, they can do it themselves. Otherwise, leave 'em alone.

Edited by Prime Suspect

I certainly leave the notes on my caches. I simply don't understand the paperless mantra of keeping the cache page clean. I know the argument, I just don't think it is worthy. Any time I drop a bug or grab a bug from a cache and am writing a note I list the bugs or coins I am leaving. I have found this useful when trying to track down missing bugs a few times, so I do it.

So I agree with PS, leave the logs alone.

There are two common kinds of tb drop notes:

1. Visiting a cache for the first time. We write about dropping the tb in our Found It log but forgot to click in the bug drop box. We follow that up with a Note that drops the bug and the note often says something like: oops, forgot to drop the bug. These Notes serve no purpose. It hurts nothing or no one to delete these notes. I believe these notes should always be deleted.

2. Re-visiting a cache to drop a tb. This is part of the cache record of visitors and tb activity. These notes should not be deleted.

Personally I don't know if trimming logs is really that beneficial. Are the present logs truly that necessary to search for your cache?

Sometimes yes. Maybe less so now than during the early years, but for well hidden caches Found It and DNF logs often contain comments that help the current searcher. They are part of one of three tools we have when searching:

1. The cache page: Description, hint, logs.

2. The gps

3. Intuition: Where would I hide this cache? What is the obvious spot?

Sometimes we need all the tools and sometimes it comes down to a previous log that makes for success.

I would have never even thought of a reason to delete these notes. It's never crossed my mind. But now that you explain it here, it does make sense to do so.

Did you try sending an email to the person who deleted your log to explain this to them? I'm with the other poster who said that they may not understand why you deleted a "dropped TB" note. They may think that it messed with the mileage or that you were doing it just to irritate them or because you didn't like them. The fact that they deleted your log entry shows that they feel like you have "wronged" them in some way and they have held a grudge ever since.

I can't imagine any reasonable person still being angry or holding a grudge against you if you were to explain the reason for your note deletions like you explained in your OP.

Personally I don't know if trimming logs is really that beneficial. Are the present logs truly that necessary to search for your cache?

Sometimes yes. Maybe less so now than during the early years, but for well hidden caches Found It and DNF logs often contain comments that help the current searcher. They are part of one of three tools we have when searching:

1. The cache page: Description, hint, logs.

2. The gps

3. Intuition: Where would I hide this cache? What is the obvious spot?

Sometimes we need all the tools and sometimes it comes down to a previous log that makes for success.

I suppose if you have a cache that fit that criteria you could remove the one tb note that happened that one time. :o:)

I say gleaning info from logs is happenstance and maybe the 5 real logs will tell you something and maybe they won't.

I says ya search for the cache and ya takes your chances. I don't know that I would recommend cache owners maintain their caches to this degree.

To clarify:

I am going to stick with instructing people who need to back drop a TB to delete the cache notes. At this time I am not going to recommend cache owners delete other people's notes.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Not really seeking advice because frankly, I am going to keep doing it, however I would like to see what others think.

Recently a found it log on a cache I found was deleted. I didn't think much of it since this cacher tends to delete lots of found it logs (a whole thread in itself) however I saw them post s note that the reason they deleted my particular one was because I had deleted their logs. Once again I was dumbfounded until I realized they were talking about a "Dropped TB" note on one of my caches.

For quite some time I have made a practice of deleting these type when I find/see them on my caches. It does not affect the bug or the user picking up or dropping them. I originally did this because there were still many cachers in my area using printouts at the time and it cut down the logs that did not help them. Now I do it because those of use with Treos, Blackberries, etc. go to the web site from the field and have to scroll through these logs in the field. A minor irritant, but an irritant none the less.

I am starting to see it become more popular. Would you be upset if yours got deleted? Why?

OMG ! baloo&bd have a serious problem with posting grievances and leaving out the facts!! Their "found it" log was deleted because our "swapped travel bugs/geocoins" note was deleted exactly 30 days earlier ! they deleted us.....we then, 30 DAYS LATER DELETED THEM....THEN after we deleted their log they posted that they were "clueless, dumbfounded, duh, this is a first for us....blah-blah-blah" as to why their "found it" log was deleted but they conveniently forget to mention that they deleted us first !!!! we always love people like this. baloo&bd are the supreme owners of the lying by omission crown. DO NOT believe a word they say !!

OMG ! baloo&bd have a serious problem with posting grievances and leaving out the facts!! Their "found it" log was deleted because our "swapped travel bugs/geocoins" note was deleted exactly 30 days earlier ! they deleted us.....we then, 30 DAYS LATER DELETED THEM....THEN after we deleted their log they posted that they were "clueless, dumbfounded, duh, this is a first for us....blah-blah-blah" as to why their "found it" log was deleted but they conveniently forget to mention that they deleted us first !!!! we always love people like this. baloo&bd are the supreme owners of the lying by omission crown. DO NOT believe a word they say !!

"I was dumbfounded......" baloo or is it bd ? Storytellers trying to pull the wool over the eyes of whoever will listen.

"I was dumbfounded......" baloo or is it bd ? Storytellers trying to pull the wool over the eyes of whoever will listen.

baloo and/or bd aren't dumbfounded by anything except the nasty little micro we hid 620' from their back door.

There is a difference between deleting "Notes" and deleting "Finds". If you'll read all the thread, you'll see that all the info you say is already presented here.

Ya know what ? a delete is a delete.doesn't matter what it is. period.it's an insult.

I've edited my post to include that I also feel it's insulting. The important thing to remember is that deleting "Finds" will alter the statistics of the player, and the Cache. "Notes" do not alter the statistics of the player or the Cache or the Bug, "Notes" are just a way to communicate information about the Cache/Bug, rather than a way to count activity. I agree that it's rude though. Fighting rudeness with rudeness will only ruin the game.

There is a difference between deleting "Notes" and deleting "Finds". If you'll read all the thread, you'll see that all the info you say is already presented here.

Ya know what ? a delete is a delete.doesn't matter what it is. period.it's an insult.

I've edited my post to include that I also feel it's insulting. The important thing to remember is that deleting "Finds" will alter the statistics of the player, and the Cache. "Notes" do not alter the statistics of the player or the Cache or the Bug, "Notes" are just a way to communicate information about the Cache/Bug, rather than a way to count activity. I agree that it's rude though. Fighting rudeness with rudeness will only ruin the game.

Please. Like everyone else here, you have NO CLUE about the facts of this UGLY LOCAL SITUATION. Why ? Because b&bd conveniently left that info out. If you care to know THE TRUTH, ask us. If you want half truths, keep reading b&bd posts. Wow, it's amazing how some people have NO CLUE how to tell the truth.

Please. Like everyone else here, you have NO CLUE about the facts of this UGLY LOCAL SITUATION. Why ? Because b&bd conveniently left that info out. If you care to know THE TRUTH, ask us. If you want half truths, keep reading b&bd posts. Wow, it's amazing how some people have NO CLUE how to tell the truth.

Well...You're right, I don't. This thread isn't about the ugliness you're experiencing. The thread is about whether it's OK to delete Notes that were only written to facilitate a Bug Drop. These forums are not the place to come and start attacking people by name, so you may want to keep that in check. I don't beleive I was even commenting on the ugliness you're experiencing, as most of the clueless people here also were not. Can you take the ugliness elsewhere, so we can continue discussing the question at hand? Thanks.

Let's see...The question was "Deleteing bug drop notes - Acceptable?"

My answer...I don't do it but it is acceptable, however, to avoid potential "Ugliness" an email to the author of the note explaining the deletion would be helpful.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

WARNING: b&bd are master web spinners and if you have even half a brain you're not going to buy the bs above. What cache owner in their right mind would delete someones tb/coin swap note ? NONE !! b&bd would have you believe they did so to save others from the deadly long scroll? BS ! They deleted our bug/coin swap note FOR PERSONAL REASONS !! We posted on 12-16. They deleted on 12-18. THEN they logged a find on one of ours 31 days later. We deleted it. Wouldn't you? They're still posting fairytales telling all of you that they have no idea why ???? Get real.

WARNING: b&bd are master web spinners and if you have even half a brain you're not going to buy the bs above. What cache owner in their right mind would delete someones tb/coin swap note ? NONE !! b&bd would have you believe they did so to save others from the deadly long scroll? BS ! They deleted our bug/coin swap note FOR PERSONAL REASONS !! We posted on 12-16. They deleted on 12-18. THEN they logged a find on one of ours 31 days later. We deleted it. Wouldn't you? They're still posting fairytales telling all of you that they have no idea why ???? Get real.

You apearantly have not read the discussion here, but can you please quit with the petty personal attacks? We're having a discussion of ettiquite here, not bickering over some personal situation. You're making yourself look very foolish, since you clearly have not read the discussion, and keep attacking the OP, when they never even brought up your name. That's not really allowed here, so please quit. There are MANY people who delete "Notes" on the Caches they own. Many of them are even in their right mind.

Do you understand that deleting these "Notes" does not affect the location or milage of the Traveler??

if you have even half a brain you're not going to buy the bs above.

Doesn't matter, we're not discussing the particulars of your situation. In fact, are you even sure they were talking about You?? Maybe there are more people who deleted their finds??

What cache owner in their right mind would delete someones tb/coin swap note ?

Many Cache owners delete these kinds of notes. The Coin/Bug stays in the inventory, and the Cache page looks the way they want, showing logs they feel are helpful to new seekers.

they logged a find on one of ours 31 days later. We deleted it. Wouldn't you?

No, I wouldn't.

They're still posting fairytales telling all of you that they have no idea why ????

That's not what they said...They said thay they didn't know what "Log" of yours they had deleted, until they realized that it was a "Note" that you were talking about.

The truth is, you need to stop playing games and act like a responsible cache owner...maybe both parties do, but you're the one coming off as way out of line! I can't imagine any rational person would use your logic in this situation.

My first thought is that you would have to expect that some people wouldn't understand what you were doing and might become (ahem) very concerned that you were affecting their stats or the bug tracking,

Well, this certainly is another example of why I should always go with my first thought. :o

Edited by BlueDeuce

In my experience, most local caches around here, when they have logged a note in order to enable a bug drop in one of our caches that they had previously found, do their own housekeeping work and visit the page a few hours or a few days later and delete the bug drop note as a courtesy. I am sure that none of them would mind if we were to delete the note ourselves.

And, in much the same vein, I should note that there is a strongly-worded note on the cache listing page of some of the more famous local caches (often caches which are rated 5/5) to the effect that notes are NOT allowed to be filed, as they would tend to knock valid find logs out of the "most recent five" queue of logs which appears on the short version of the cache listing page.

So, I cannot imagine anyone getting upset that you, as the cache owner, would delete their bug drop note from your cache listing page. Sounds to me like they need a checkup from the neck up, big time! Either that, or they need to get back on their meds (or, alternatively, they may need to stop self-medicating themselves with random street drugs!)

I am not going to participate in this thread any longer except to say that as rule, I delete all my own bug drops. If you do find a note from me regarding a TB drop it is at least a couple years old or some sort of oversight, the later I will correct if pointed out.

It has started to become more frequent (I won't use the word common) to delete these, some going as far to delete all notes. I do it frequently and without regard to who the poster of the note is. I in fact, have only got two messages over the years asking what happened and none of those were from anyone in this thread.

There are no agendas, grudges or anything else to any "story". I only wanted to get opinions since I saw this very thing pop up as a side note in at least three other threads here which made it appear not as regional as even I thought it was. I have never deleted a found it log or note containing information except on my virtual and then because it was one of those "virtual" finders who covers several states in an hour.

As I said at the outset, I had no intent of changing the behaviour. If there were any compelling suggestions or reasons, I was however open to consider change. I did see a comment or two that gave me an idea that I will probably implement; a note in the description asking owners to delete short logs like the examples given and that they are subject to deletion without notice. Just have to figure out the wording.

Sorry if this offended any of you, I was simply looking for input for me and possibly giving others an opportunity for someone to see something from one of the paperless cachers perspectives. I looked back over my threads and thought they were "faceless" but apparently I was wrong.

Does it hurt anything if you delete a content-free bug drop note from your own cache page? No.

Should it matter if you make it your policy to regularly clean them off your cache pages? No.

Does it matter? Unfortunately ... yes.

The game of Geocaching is chock full of players who are, for whatever reason, absolutely clueless about the concept of Travel Bugs, period. It doesn’t matter how plainly the instructions are explained ("this is no ordinary trade item" "do NOT keep this trade item"); it doesn’t matter where the instructions are placed (in the baggie with the bug, attached to the bug's keychain, or even on the bug itself) – no matter what you do, most bugs will be fatally fumbled forthwith, if not sooner. The physical steps required to correctly implement and document the movement of trackables are apparently beyond the mental capabilities of a stunningly large number of cachers.

Assuming that any given individual understands the basic functions of a trackable is risky.

Therefore: assuming that any given cacher will understand that your deletion of their drop note is perfectly benign is, in my experience, overly optimistic.

Assuming that ALL cachers will correctly understand your actions is simply asking too much.

Ideally it shouldn’t matter, but in reality it unfortunately does. Certain confused cachers WILL take offense to your deletion of their cluttering posts, and for the same reason that certain people WILL take offense if you fail to say "bless you" when they sneeze. It’s ignorant and pointless and silly but it matters to them, and rather than waste time trying to explain it’s so much easier to just put up with it.

Would it help if you were to send a pre-deletion email to each drop-note logger, explaining in detail why your deletion will have zero effect on them, their find, the trackable, their reputation, or their mother’s honor? Maybe. But I wouldn’t count on it. And it doesn’t seem worth the trouble.

Even though I think you are doing nothing wrong, my recommendation is to leave the notes alone. The fight against general ignorance is noble, but it is also a guaranteed pathway to disappointment.

They deleted our bug/coin swap note FOR PERSONAL REASONS !! We posted on 12-16. They deleted on 12-18. THEN they logged a find on one of ours 31 days later. We deleted it. Wouldn't you?

You deleted a legitimate find for personal reasons?

No, I would not have done that.

Why did you?

Sounds like this goes along with this:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3737045

Thanks for that very interesting reference.

Based on that linked post, as well as post number 92 in the same thread, it sounds like the author of those posts learned a lesson about deleting legitimate logs out of spite.

Based on today’s postings, however, it would appear the lesson didn’t really take.

Before this Topic gets shut down can someone explain to me why "abug drop note" is bad. Isn't that part of the caches history? I am still on the upside of the learning curve so I hope this doesn't sound to simplistic.

Some people are OCD about keeping their cache pages, in their opinion, uncluttered.

I've been told by people that bug drop notes clutters the cache page. I've been told by people that need maintenance log clutter the cache page after the issue has been corrected. I've been told by people that DNF entries clutter the cache page after the person making the DNF entry make a Fount It entry. I've been told that more than one DNF entry by the some person clutters the cache page.

Personally I am indifferent about bug drop notes. Particularly the ones that state "Oops, I forgot to drop this bug when I made my Found It note" note. I don't care if someone logs multiple DNFs for multiple attempts at finding a cache or wait and make one DNF entry. Altho it does annoy me when DNF entries get deleted, by either the cache owner or the cacher himself. They are part of the caches history they are part of the cachers history and frankly most are a much better read than most Fount It entries.