Etrex toggle button

I wish Garmin recessed the toggle on the Etrex line. I get tired of pulling it out of my pocket or even hanging from my neck to see that it marked it as found, marked a new waypoint, or paned to another area. :D I'll have to see what I can make to glue to it to protect it. :laughing:

I agree wholeheartedly!!! I'm always hearing the 'birds chirping' only to find its my GPS... :D

I often keep it in my pocket were pressure is applied to the switch and it always seems that I have to hit the return button to get it back to show the current location.

I'm very interested in what you come up with for a solution, please post a follow up

I cut a ring from a plastic tubing elbow and used thick CA to glue it on. I can still work the toggle with my thumb. I put in and out of several pockets and so far it is doing its job. :huh: Now if I can figure out how to add a pic.

I would love to see a picture, I might consider doing it

I haven't figure out how to post a picture yet either; its seems it has to be externally hosted then linked

A couple of questions:

1. Did you use PVC, ABS or the gray (ABS?) ?
  2. What does CA mean?

I know plastics can be very sensitive to glue types and some may not work at all; and I'm not sure the type of plastic the face is made of - it will be interesting to see how it holds up. Sounds like its working well for the time being.

Etrex.jpg

Nicely done; It’s wider and shorter then I expected. Also, honestly, it looks better too. I might try that.

I just use the standard case on the two I have. I've never had any problems with the toggle getting pressed. You can get them at your local stuffmart for $14. (no shipping charges)

680585Lrg.jpg

I've had two eTrex models and the thick molded case worked well, although it was really designed for the earlier thinner eTrex model.

http://www.compuplus.com/i-Garmin-GPS-Hols...e77jbh9b208o350

Those are nice cases but for me they cause more issues then they solve – I either carry in my pocket or clipped to my backpack and a case adds weight and bulk which I don’t like. Also, I prefer to have an unobstructed view and access to the buttons. I never liked the cases for my phones, PDA etc. They should make the product case tough and functional so we don’t need a case for the case :rolleyes:

BTW unless I'm already at the store: shipping is much more cost effective then mileage not to mention my time. As a bonus, I shop the moment that I decide to and wearing what I want, shop multiple stores in minutes without fighting traffic or walking around hordes of people, buy it without waiting in line, then later someone knocks on my door and hands it to me. Not much of a comparison; unless, of course, one is impatient (read: didn't plan ahead). My two cents (more or less) :unsure:

Those are nice cases but for me they cause more issues then they solve – I either carry in my pocket or clipped to my backpack and a case adds weight and bulk which I don’t like. Also, I prefer to have an unobstructed view and access to the buttons. I never liked the cases for my phones, PDA etc. They should make the product case tough and functional so we don’t need a case for the case :rolleyes:

I use the Garmin eTrex pouch. I have full access to all the buttons when the GPSr is in the case - the rocker button still gets pressed when it is in my jacket pocket though. The plastic window does make the GPSr a little harder to read, and someone reported a slight degradation of satellite reception (I didn't try to test that myself).