City Nav. on etrex legend

I was just wondering if it would be worth it for me to put city nav on my etrex legend cx? I have done some research on it but want to know if it will work on my unit, and if anyone else here has used it on a garmin legend? My friend has it in his car on a nuvi but does it work the same on the etrex?

Thank you.

I use City Navigator North America 2009 on my eTrex Legend HCx and it works fine.

There's no text-to-speech on an eTrex so you won't get voice guidance, obviously. But you get beeps in advance of the turns and it flashes a good visual guidance on the screen. I wouldn't want to depend on it for regular auto nav but for handheld navigation, say when trying to find a restaurant on foot or get back to your hotel in a strange city, or for occasional auto navigation it works.

...ken...

Quick question... I was going to get City Nav - but there are a couple of different options. Why would one be more beneficial - pre-loaded disk versus a CD?

I have an eTrex Vista HCx

If you get it on a preloaded microSD card it will not be locked to your specific GPS. However if you get it on DVD and install it to MapSource you can combine your CN maps with Topo maps into a single gmapsupp.img (up to 2Gb) and switch maps in the map setting menus.

Both alterantives has it's pros and cons but personally I prefer being able to select what to store on my card and not needing to swap cards when going from CN to Topo maps.

What Cold Coffee said. Also there is no backup for the SD card. If you lose it or turn it into a mini-brick you've lost your maps and there's no way to get them back. With the CD or DVD, if you turn your PC or its hard drive into an ornament, you can always reinstall from the original CD/DVD.

I am also one who likes to combine both road maps and topo maps into a single mapset on the memory card so I don't have to switch cards to switch maps.

If you get the maps on CD/DVD you also get the Mapsource program. It's really great for creating routes and for viewing and working with tracks, either tracks that you create or tracks that you download from the internet to help with future trips.

If you decide to go the CD/DVD route, make sure to back up your unlock code(s). You can use the Unlock Wizard in Mapsource to back them up to your local hard drive or to your MyGarmin account. I always do both. You can never have too many backups. :laughing:

...ken...