Make your own GPSr...

I've never been 100% happy with the GPSrs that are out there and always thought that it would be nice to have an open source GPSr that could be custom programmed, and in my case for Geocaching specifically.

I stumbled across this new device online and it looks like it would be a great basis for making my own homebrew GPSr. You can program it using c & c++ using the gcc compiler.

STM32 Primer2

The latest STM32 Primer2 is about the size of a cellphone, and comes with a 128x160-pixel color touchscreen, a joystick/push button, extension connector and pre-loaded sample applications. There is also a built-in USB port, a MicroSD card slot, and other features, such as an accelerometer and an infrared transmitter/receiver, that allow users to quickly add numerous extra capabilities and functions to their applications. All of these components are easy to manage through the built-in software framework, the open-source CircleOS. MSRP is $49.00

STM32_Primer2_p2364s.jpg

http://www.st.com/stonline/stappl/cms/pres...r2009/p2364.htm

Navisys GR-300 GPS USB Dongle (SiRF III)

GR-300 is a cute, easy to bring, ultra-high performance, low power GPS smart antenna with USB connector. The built-in SiRFstarIII chip and our experienced design provide fast acquisitions and excellent tracking performance. It is a perfect companion with Notebook PC, UMPC etc. $36.99

semsons-inc_2043_17016097.gif

http://www.semsons.com/nagrgpsusbdo.html

Thoughts??

Cheers,

Kevin Pickell

911turbos

So many times I have thought that if my GPS had been using OpenSource software it would have done so much more.

For example, take a Nüvi 2x5 hardware.

- Rotate the screen 90 degrees.

- Make zoom level for custom POIs configurable.

- Add a compass screen.

- Enable WAAS/EGNOS.

- And why not throw in native paperless support reducing the need for GSAK macros?

What do you have? A non waterproof Oregon 200 with limited batterylife for a third of the price.

Or take a GPSMap Cx/CSx or a eTrex HC/HCx and add paperless geocaching support...

Will Garmin do it? No, never as that would harm sales for their latest products. But if the firmware had been OpenSource it had been done long ago.

Edited by kallt_kaffe

That's kind of cool, even if it isn't waterproof. Just being able to do what you want with it makes it cool, even though, if I bought it, I wouldn't know where to start! Like when I bought a set of Lego Mindstorms, the Legos with the sensors and programmable brain. I'd seen all these cool robots and stuff other people had made, but when I opened mine, all I could think to make was a car that backed up and turned when it hit a wall.

And the separate GPS receiver could be very handy. Attach it to your backpack or shoulder strap or whatever, and always have the antenna in the best place, no matter where the handheld is. It would be better if it was wireless (Bluetooth), but it is what it is.