old people trying to archive my cache.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d6-dfc7aa56ec1b

chyea... the cache isnt dangerous AT ALL. the guy thought it was up on the hill... and even if it was. it wouldnt even make it as a terracache.

gah... that makes me angry. i bet he just drove past it... if he would have walked up to it he would have seen it right next to him in a crevice about 3 ft off the ground.

he thinks im some young guy trying to make super dangerous caches after i wanted to put one it a storm drain. though i didnt..

i dont want to be rude to the guy... but i got to vent somewhere. so heres what i got to say. but not to him.

"dude!!! wtf are you for real !??! ive seen caches where you had to use climbing gear and climb 90 degress if your afraid my cache then you have seriously just lost you manhood"

Feel better now? I'm wondering what a chyea pet has to do with your cache? Is it camouflaged as a topiary animal?

Just because someone posted a SBA note to the cache doesn't mean it is automatically archived. Have you tried having a polite mature exchange with this other cacher, or just come in here to vent?

First off, please don't try to make this an "old guy" / "young guy" problem. I don't think age has anything to do with it.

It appears the cache is rated right, if it is located as you say, so I wouldn't worry about it. Your comment on the cache page in answer to him should be all you need.

As for whether it is too dangerous for Geocaching. As long as the terrain and difficulty is rated right, dangerous is OK. It is up to the one trying for the cache to decide if it is beyond their abilities.

Here's an old person's advice, take the [] off your hint so it will be encrypted properly.

So far you've only heard one person's input on your cache. Wait til you have at least three people tell you your cache stinks, then you can be upset and think of reasons to blame them.

Otherwise don't worry about it.

yea i feel better now...

i think its chia pet. lol.. but chyea its my weird way of saying "yea"

heres where it is.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26793886@N06/3362674859/

its in the noticeably green shaded area.

he thinks its up higher or something.

and if you look around on the map if you think thats too hard to be stealthy in then he shouldn't wear his clown costume to geocache...

Maybe he was mislead by your description on the cache page that says you like to climb down?

I can't tell much about the area from the map, but it does look very residential. Only you and he know what the area is like.

By the way, if you don't like being called "new", don't you think calling people "old" is a bit harsh?

Aren't you the one that once wanted to archive someone else's cache just because it was in a place you wanted to put one of your own?

In my opinion just let him post a SBA note if he feels strongly about it and then you and the reviewer can determine if your cache is okay or not. If it's okay, it's not a problem anymore. I don't think it's something that you need to vent over.

From the street view on google it does not look bad at all. So this guy likes LPC's and anything more is dangerous and should be archived. Well, it does not work that way. I wouldn't worry about it, his SBA is not going to go anywhere. The reviewer won't archive it for this reason. You did send puppymonster his bag of kibble, didn't you? :) By the way, who are you calling old?

Jim

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d6-dfc7aa56ec1b

chyea... the cache isnt dangerous AT ALL. the guy thought it was up on the hill... and even if it was. it wouldnt even make it as a terracache.

gah... that makes me angry. i bet he just drove past it... if he would have walked up to it he would have seen it right next to him in a crevice about 3 ft off the ground.

he thinks im some young guy trying to make super dangerous caches after i wanted to put one it a storm drain. though i didnt..

i dont want to be rude to the guy... but i got to vent somewhere. so heres what i got to say. but not to him.

"dude!!! wtf are you for real !??! ive seen caches where you had to use climbing gear and climb 90 degress if your afraid my cache then you have seriously just lost you manhood"

Calm doown, my young friend, don't let yourself get worked up over someone else's problem! As long as you have the cache rated (and I haven't even looked yet), you're golden!! I'll check it out! How's your GPS doing??

btw...the mods might take exception to your "wording", some don't even like the initials of the words...just a warning for you!!

ETA: Oh, for crying out loud, don't let it bother you, my friend. Someone too scared to give it a try and turned back, it's no biggie at all! I applaud your work, my friend, and I hope you continue on. Have fun, don't worry about others!!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

The only issue I see is your comment: "well the owners of the white house were there when i was placeing the cache and they didnt take a second glance at us."

If it is near a home you should ask permission. Otherwise looks good.

If they did not own the property that I was hiding the cache on, I would not ask their permission. They have no authority to either give or withhold permission.

Did you know you can delete SBA logs from your caches? That's what I did the one time somebody posted a ridiculous SBA.

You can delete teh log, but the reviewer still got notified of the issue and will look into it.

BTW, can we get this duplicate thread merged with the other'n?

If it's not up on the hill... why do you have the "difficult climbing" attribute set? That could be very misleading in a case like this.
Based on the cache description, a finder could either climb down from above, or access from below without climbing.

Oh, never mind then. Sorry!

Wow, the guy posted a SBA log and didn't even get out of the car? Wow, he must be really psychic.

Although it's not a huge surprise if you read some of their other logs. They mostly seem to be cut and paste or have a little tone of 'cache cop' to them, or both. Sounds like they are on a mission to find ALL the caches in the area, and your's seems unreachable to him. That's likely the source of some of his lashing out at your cache.

Let it roll off your back, CS. It's not worth the effort of getting worked up about.

WOW, talk about IRONY, the complainer has a cache a few blocks away, but is afraid to get out of the car to do your? Blow it off crab soul. The sat pic looks like you both have the same terrain type, maybe you took his hiding spot. Good luck buddy, if I ever get to the neighborhood, I might have to give it a try.

leave the SBA log.

it's part of the cache history. peole who make stupid notes should be remembered for being stupid.

I agree. I would leave it as a bizarre part of the cache's history. The cacher who filed the SBA was extremely unclear and ambiguous about why they were filing an SBA, beyond vague references about something being steep, along with a "tite neighborhood" and something about being too scared to get out of their car.

After having examined this one fairly carefully via Google Earth and Google Maps, I can see nothing wrong with the hide from this limited vantage point. And, at the most, if the SBA cacher's points about danger are in some way true (perhaps the cache is emplaced in a neighborhood filled with Sioneva's relatives, in which case I too would be scared) or if finding the cache requires a nasty climb, then, at the most, all that would be required would be to raise the Terrain rating.

Citing vague references to "danger" is not a valid reason for an SBA, and, in fact, some of the most popular and famous geocaches in the world are extremely dangerous, offering thousands of times more danger than the cache under discussion possibly could, but those caches have been assigned an appropriate Difficulty/Terrain rating, and the listing pages mention relevant hazards as well. Many of these rather dangerous caches are so well-known that they have many dozens of watchlisters; some have over one hundred watchlisters.

If the guy keeps whining, or if more prospective finders complain, raise the Terrain rating to 5.0 and the Difficulty rating to 4.0 and let God sort it out.

And now, one final note:

Were I in Crab Soul's shoes, immature and cranky and curmudgeonly soul that I am, I would take a road trip from Shreveport to Bourbon Street in New Orleans, where I would visit Marie Laveau's House of Voodoo, and I would buy me a big ol' powerful spell kit, along with some powders and stuff, and I would take it all home, and set it all up and then I would place a big old spell on the SBA logger, turning him into an ugly misshapen frog. Period. No doubt about it. This might be an insult to all frogs, and it might get all the other frogs righteously pissed off, but nonetheless, so be it, this is what I would do. Sometimes a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, you know?

leave the SBA log.

it's part of the cache history. peole who make stupid notes should be remembered for being stupid.

I agree. I would leave it as a bizarre part of the cache's history. The cacher who filed the SBA was extremely unclear and ambiguous about why they were filing an SBA, beyond vague references about something being steep, along with a "tite neighborhood" and something about being too scared to get out of their car.

After having examined this one fairly carefully via Google Earth and Google Maps, I can see nothing wrong with the hide from this limited vantage point. And, at the most, if the SBA cacher's points about danger are in some way true (perhaps the cache is emplaced in a neighborhood filled with Sioneva's relatives, in which case I too would be scared) or if finding the cache requires a nasty climb, then, at the most, all that would be required would be to raise the Terrain rating.

Citing vague references to "danger" is not a valid reason for an SBA, and, in fact, some of the most popular and famous geocaches in the world are extremely dangerous, offering thousands of times more danger than the cache under discussion possibly could, but those caches have been assigned an appropriate Difficulty/Terrain rating, and the listing pages mention relevant hazards as well. Many of these rather dangerous caches are so well-known that they have many dozens of watchlisters; some have over one hundred watchlisters.

If the guy keeps whining, or if more prospective finders complain, raise the Terrain rating to 5.0 and the Difficulty rating to 4.0 and let God sort it out.

And now, one final note:

Were I in Crab Soul's shoes, immature and cranky and curmudgeonly soul that I am, I would take a road trip from Shreveport to Bourbon Street in New Orleans, where I would visit Marie Laveau's House of Voodoo, and I would buy me a big ol' powerful spell kit, along with some powders and stuff, and I would take it all home, and set it all up and then I would place a big old spell on the SBA logger, turning him into an ugly misshapen frog. Period. No doubt about it. This might be an insult to all frogs, and it might get all the other frogs righteously pissed off, but nonetheless, so be it, this is what I would do. Sometimes a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, you know?

yes, please do the needful.

WOULD BE AWSOME!!!

and if mine is scary that one must be satans super cave of doom

---------

but my main issue is that he talks to most of the geocachers in LA with his club. and he seems to have discouraged them from getting it.

Edited by Crab_Soul

I see the guy just posted another note stating he was afraid to even get out of the car....wow! Don't worry about him, let mtn-man sort it out, you'll be fine!

Are we talking about TitusLlewelyn's note? 'Cause his two most recent finds are 4 star terrains!

I was going to say this but I have been beaten to the punch.

The only issue I see is your comment: "well the owners of the white house were there when i was placeing the cache and they didnt take a second glance at us."

If they did not own the property that I was hiding the cache on, I would not ask their permission. They have no authority to either give or withhold permission.

True. If they are going to be a problem though it helps to inform them so they know what's going on 'in their back yard'. It can avoid problems down the road. If they are going to be "those" kind of people you would also have a heads up the cache isn't viable.

yea its weird. back when i wanted to put the cache in a drain he said something like "geocaching isnt about killing people". storm drains arent crap.

Hey, now that is an idea for a 4.5 difficultyterrain cache. Go in one storm drain entrance, come out another one.

A small suggestion. I guess that cacher has an issue with you. I know it makes you angry (it would make me angry too), and the immediate reaction is to want to hit back verbally. Responding rationally and appearing calm (even when - no, especially when - you're seething inside) will help you much more than jumping down his throat.

I'm sorry it happened to you. It looks like a nice cache I would go look for, too bad it is kind of far away :)

Edited by Chrysalides

..."geocaching is..."....

There fixed the quote. Everthing after "is" is optional on the part of the finder. If this person has a death fixation I'm sure they will find a way to find death in plenty enough caches. As for me I just avoid the caches that put me outside my comfort zone. Others trapse right up. More power to them.

And kind language will get you much further in life. Calling someone old, just because you're a punk kid, is not polite. :) <Smiley to denote sarcasm.>

On the other fin, I may be getting old, but I would not put SBA on a cache because it would be too dangerous for me to attempt. I know my limits (and have even done a few 5 Star terrain difficulty caches.) Difficulty (danger) is permitted in geocaching, with the proper warnings.

Speak kindly to the gentlecacher, and to the world in general, and life will be better.

They do however have the ability to remove the cache. If you put a cache in residential neighborhoods, it's probably best to clear it with the residents - unless you want to keep replacing it.

First off, please don't try to make this an "old guy" / "young guy" problem. I don't think age has anything to do with it.

Yeah, it's "some old woman" named "Sissy" that has some of the physically toughest cache in the area. A few had looked at the first stage of Sissy's Snarky Walk #1 and simply turned on their heel and walked away.

It looks pretty scary to me...

I'd probably have to go for a potty break so I wouldn't soil myself before attempting. :)

Crab_Soul, you posted the following information on a note on your cache page.

"on rainy days the area around it filled up with water and there was basicly a waterfall going onto the cache. so my brother and i diverted the flow of the water into the storm drain (where its supposed to go) so hopefuly itll be dry.]

the next person who finds it please remove the foam we put at the very bottom of the box. it was ment to keep water from getting in from the bottom at a differnet location.

Unless you own the storm drain system, you should not be doing anything whatsoever under any circumstances to impede or alter the flow of water in any way.

To do so, is typically a violation of civil (and possibly criminal) codes in your locality.

As one of the people that you need to win over here Crab_Soul, and as an "old" person myself, I can tell you that you are not impressing me at this point. I've known the person you are badmouthing for quite a long time. I've found him to be very level headed and does not seem to just say things unless they carry some weight. On the other hand, in these forums, you continue to call people names and are difficult to work with. This even came to a head where you posted a topic apologizing to the general masses.

Based on some of your posts in this topic, I would suggest some reading for you.

carebooktr.jpg

As you post here badmouthing him, I will remind you that this is the VERY person who offered to work with you back when you were causing problems in the forums. He had good things to say about your correspondence and was taken aback by your performance here. You sort of scared him off with your conduct. To quote an email he sent me back a month ago, (I don't think he will mind)

We have communicated via email He is very interested in caching and I do some volunteer work a few blocks from there. That part of town is not bad but not so good either. I will probably work with him to place a decent cache in the park. There may be room for more than one.
It sound like that rather than picking the nice park in the "not bad" part of that area, you picked what he feels is the "not so good" part.

Would I trust someone who is "old" and possibly experienced with that area, or would I trust someone who insults people that have offered to help them and has been very disruptive here in the forums, to the point of saying that you will hide illegally placed caches if you want to and no one can stop you. I'll let others decide that for themselves.

One thing is for sure. The cache has been there for four days. You don't have a single find. I cannot imagine that he has emailed every cacher in the area. I think the fact that no one has found it says something. I haven't archived it though, just wondering what the first finder will say. Not sure if I will at all frankly. Personal responsibility plays into this a lot as a finder. It also does as a hider.

Regarding posting a satellite shot of an area and declaring it safe? I give you this photo.

satelliteshot.jpg

Looks innocent enough, right? Some bushes behind the building good enough for an ammo box? Yeah, right.

This is a shot of an area of Washington DC just about a mile from the Capital Dome. This is just about the most dangerous location I've ever had to work. I've been there by myself at night no less, but I knew I was crazy. You cannot leave your car unlocked and have to keep all possessions not in your car in sight at all times. I've had minor items stolen that were just out of sight. I won't work there at night any more, nor will I allow anyone we contract work with to work there by themselves unless the area is busy and only during the day. The police fliers that were posted all over one time paying a reward for information regarding the murder of the owner of the gas station just to the east of the building in the picture above sort of drove the point home.

Just two blocks to the west is the corporate office and main studios for XM Satellite Radio. Just a few blocks away there are very upscale neighborhoods and Gallaudet University.

A picture doesn't always tell you everything. Personal knowledge of the area probably does.

And that is, as many of us "old" folks say, "the rest of the story".

I saw all this hub bub so this old 48 year old and his 14 year old daughter took a little trip and FTF'd the cache this afternoon. It is a fine cache in a super big container with lots of trade goodies. It's located on public property and didn't cause us any concern, either for safety reasons or due to the Groundspeak listing guidelines. We enjoyed our visit to Shreveport today to find this cache and a bunch of others.

You can either debate caches in the forums or you can go out and actually find them. Even us old people. :)

and the dude carrys a bear around with him... bears are laaaame. ide have a wolverine or a gi joe...

Oh! Now you've gone and done it! I don't like you anymore! I always bring a Bear when I geocache!

Yeah...but I usually carry Signal with me. That can be a good thing, or a bad thing, depending. :)B):P

DSC00978-2.jpg

(The kangaroo just about killed Signal (and me), just after this photo was taken!)