hiking in the heat

Well as summer comes around I usually give up hiking. It just gets too hot for me. This year I am trying to look at my clothing in hope of extending my hiking time into the summer. My questions is how to layer in hot weather. I usually wear a base layer (boxer briefs and undershirt) that are a 50% cotton 50% polyester blend. On top of that I usually wear a cotton t shirt and either jeans or basketball shorts depending on the heat and how much protection I need from the sun/ shrubs and cacti. I'm looking for suggestions on what type of fabric would be best for my base layer and if it should be loose fitting or tight to my skin. I am also looking for help on my top layer. I hate, hate, hate jeans. I have recently thought of wearing pajama type pants or nurse like scrubs for pants the idea of an aviator/mechanic suit has even crossed my mind. They seem to be a lite weave, baggy and cooler than jeans. Shirts I'm thinking of switching to a long sleeve dress shirt only because that is what I see a lot of construction workers wearing in the summer here. Of course a large brimmed hat is a must. I"m talking about temperatures between 90-115. I know all the info like hike in the morning but in AZ you can wake up to 90 degrees. anyway thanks for the suggestion.

Stay away from cotton for your base layer, as it traps perspiration, find some Wicking T-shirts and Wicking underwear made from materials such as silk, wool or synthetic fabrics. C9 clothing sold at Target is a good affordable example of this type of clothing.

Light weight wool socks will also keep you feet cooler than cotton socks for the same reasons above.

Light weight hiking pants that have zipp-off leg bottoms are my preference for pants.

Edited by Roland_oso

Well as summer comes around I usually give up hiking. It just gets too hot for me. This year I am trying to look at my clothing in hope of extending my hiking time into the summer. My questions is how to layer in hot weather. I usually wear a base layer (boxer briefs and undershirt) that are a 50% cotton 50% polyester blend. On top of that I usually wear a cotton t shirt and either jeans or basketball shorts depending on the heat and how much protection I need from the sun/ shrubs and cacti. I'm looking for suggestions on what type of fabric would be best for my base layer and if it should be loose fitting or tight to my skin. I am also looking for help on my top layer. I hate, hate, hate jeans. I have recently thought of wearing pajama type pants or nurse like scrubs for pants the idea of an aviator/mechanic suit has even crossed my mind. They seem to be a lite weave, baggy and cooler than jeans. Shirts I'm thinking of switching to a long sleeve dress shirt only because that is what I see a lot of construction workers wearing in the summer here. Of course a large brimmed hat is a must. I"m talking about temperatures between 90-115. I know all the info like hike in the morning but in AZ you can wake up to 90 degrees. anyway thanks for the suggestion.

I swear by my REI Sahara pants. I haven't purchased the matching Shirts, but i'm going to.

The initial shock factor of the price is normal. I cheat, I buy mine during the REI used gear sale. I bought two pairs of REI $55.00 pants, and one pair of Mountain Hardware $85.00 hiking pants for a total of $30.00 bucks. :blink:

I also started drinking a combination of Hydrate and Recover, with Energy and Focus.

Edited by Kit Fox

You can be reasonably comfortable at high levels of exertion in the heat if you take care of your crotch, head and feet. Here's what works for me:

-Undershorts: Long (9" inseam) boxerjock-style compression shorts, like this Underarmour example. You want the long inseam so that the leg cuff stays put below the bulge of the quads. The short-inseam models can creep up. If you're unsure whether you're going to like these, you can test the concept by purchasing some cheapies made by Champion Athletic at a department store. They're very light and not as structured as the UA models, but prevent chafing and heat/sweat buildup. Heat in this area is no joke; instructors in survival school suggested, in all seriousness, opening your fly if necessary for ventilation. Not recommended on popular hiking trails, in parks or near schools...

-Pants: 5.11 Tactical Pants in nylon canvas. Unfortunately, they seem to be phasing out the nylon in favor of lightweight cotton/poly. Those are more comfortable in the heat, but less thorn-resistant for bushwhacking. Both types dry quickly. Cotton, not recommended.

-Shirt: Cheap 50/50 cotton/poly T-shirts are my usual favorites, but you may be onto something with the idea of wearing a lightweight longsleeve shirt. If you can avoid wearing suncreen, you'll get more cooling benefit from sweating, according to a study I read somewhere. Since this tracks my experience, I believe it.

-Hat: Lightweight ballcap with a surrounding neck cape (think "Foreign Legion"). The neck cape should wrap around to partially shade your ears. I understand the benefits of large-brimmed hats, but never had much success with them myself. They tend to be heavy, susceptible to sailing off in strong winds, and impossible to manage in tight brush.

-Shoes/Boots/Socks: If you've gotta wear boots or shoes (I rarely do anymore), wear something like Smartwool socks (and possibly liners) to wick sweat. Injuries due to hiking with sweaty feet and cotton socks are gruesome and take a long time to heal. Nowadays I just wear sandals, but it has taken some time to get my feet into that kind of shape.

-Cotton Bandanas: Carry several to use for sweat management, ad-hoc shade, emergency headgear and firstaid.

For pants, the nylon convertables work great. I like the light colors and nylon over the cotton/poly. I have REI, Suisse Sport and Rugged Exposure. These are all cargo pocket style. Some brands fit looser than others, so try them on.

For shirts, I like the REI light colored ones made of nylon. I also have some Columbia fishing shirts with the big back vent. I have some of these in short sleeves cotton, and a long sleeve nylon. I have to have the two front pockets on my shirts.

Socks: synthetic hiking socks of various brands. Just avoid anything with cotton. Try a couple types to find what you like. If serious hiking get a thin liner sock. REI has short, light weight desert gaiters that I use often.

Hat: Barmah canvas and mesh brimmed hat. It has a chin lanyard for windy days. I clip a bandana to the brim for sun shade using those little black spring clips.

My questions is how to layer in hot weather. I usually wear a base layer (boxer briefs and undershirt) that are a 50% cotton 50% polyester blend. On top of that I usually wear a cotton t shirt and either jeans or basketball shorts depending on the heat and how much protection I need from the sun/ shrubs and cacti. I'm looking for suggestions on what type of fabric would be best for my base layer and if it should be loose fitting or tight to my skin. I am also looking for help on my top layer. I hate, hate, hate jeans. I have recently thought of wearing pajama type pants or nurse like scrubs for pants the idea of an aviator/mechanic suit has even crossed my mind. They seem to be a lite weave, baggy and cooler than jeans. Shirts I'm thinking of switching to a long sleeve dress shirt only because that is what I see a lot of construction workers wearing in the summer here. Of course a large brimmed hat is a must. I"m talking about temperatures between 90-115. I know all the info like hike in the morning but in AZ you can wake up to 90 degrees. anyway thanks for the suggestion.

Your base layer should be close to the skin and wickable. Being closer to the skin means it will pick up moisture (sweat) easier and let that moisture evaporate. Evaporation cools your skin. That being said, you'll need to wear layers over that wicking base that breathe very freely. Vented shirts made of polys are a good and inexpensive choice. You can buy the convert-pants cheaply nowadays at your local kmart/wally/target/etc.

A very important note when buying convertible pants.... LOOK FOR PANTS THAT START THE UNZIP BEHIND THE KNEE. Many unzip across the front of the knee first which means you have to remove a leg completely or leave it zipped completely. The better pants unzip behind the knee allowing you to unzip just half the pant so your "pit" can be completely exposed for much better breathability. Remember that the inside of your joints is where your heat loss is greatest so cater to those areas behind the knees, inside the arm, under the arm, about the groin and under your chin.

Carry a handkerchief (cotton) and douse it from time to time and tie around your kneck for a little extra cool. One last note... resist the urge to wipe off sweat! When you wipe away perspiration that could evaporate and thereby cool you off your body has to release even more moisture to replace that perspiration. Let the sweat do it's job, your body knows what it's doing :laughing:

...-Shoes/Boots/Socks: If you've gotta wear boots or shoes (I rarely do anymore), wear something like Smartwool socks (and possibly liners) to wick sweat. Injuries due to hiking with sweaty feet and cotton socks are gruesome and take a long time to heal. Nowadays I just wear sandals, but it has taken some time to get my feet into that kind of shape.

I am pretty interested in your sandal idea. I think that would be much cooler. Do you wear socks with your sandals or just your bare foot? Any advice before I try a small hike with sandals?

Thanks to everyone else who has replied. Some really good suggestions. You are giving me the info I need.

For Roadtorque, I suppose his hiking in the desert is a LOT different than my hiking in the Appalachians. As such I can understand his need to keep covered for sheer protection from the sun. Here on the east coast where extreme heat is often coupled with high humidity I tend to shed clothes down to the least amount required by law! This often means nothing more than some lightweight jogging pants w/o underwear. And like Mule Ears, I too eschew the shoe, opting for sandals at most. Let the sweat do its thing!

...-Shoes/Boots/Socks: If you've gotta wear boots or shoes (I rarely do anymore), wear something like Smartwool socks (and possibly liners) to wick sweat. Injuries due to hiking with sweaty feet and cotton socks are gruesome and take a long time to heal. Nowadays I just wear sandals, but it has taken some time to get my feet into that kind of shape.

I am pretty interested in your sandal idea. I think that would be much cooler. Do you wear socks with your sandals or just your bare foot? Any advice before I try a small hike with sandals?

Thanks to everyone else who has replied. Some really good suggestions. You are giving me the info I need.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...05-db126cbd33c8

No socks. Socks would be slippery against the sandal footbed, and they'd retain sweat and stickers.

Most of the benefit of sandals lies in allowing air circulation that dries and cools your sweaty feet. Start with short hikes on easy trails and work up from there. Probably the best way to get started is to strap a pair of sandals to your pack; when your feet start to feel hot and sweaty, switch out of your boots or shoes and into the sandals for awhile.

No socks. Socks would be slippery against the sandal footbed, and they'd retain sweat and stickers.

Most of the benefit of sandals lies in allowing air circulation that dries and cools your sweaty feet. Start with short hikes on easy trails and work up from there. Probably the best way to get started is to strap a pair of sandals to your pack; when your feet start to feel hot and sweaty, switch out of your boots or shoes and into the sandals for awhile.

What would you recommend for a good hiking sandal?

What would you recommend for a good hiking sandal?

My personal preference is the Teva Terra-Fi 2. It's a fully open sandal (no toe box), Teva's universal strapping system is very secure, and the tread has great traction. I've got a pair with literally hundreds of miles on them. Over the past couple of seasons I've hiked about 100 miles of the AT in them and just retired them in favor of a new pair of the same model! Like Mule Ears suggested, nix the socks - they would just make it slippery.

I could never bring myself to hike in sandals. The lack of ankle support and foot protection are the show stoppers for me. I've tried short walks and the pebbles and twigs that work their way inside are annoying.

Also the leather in my hiking boots has numerous gashes where had that been my unprotected foot, I'd probably had some serious cuts.

I guess they can be OK on flat ground, but on the steep, rocky terrain that we have in this area I think sandals would be dangerous.

I could never bring myself to hike in sandals. The lack of ankle support and foot protection are the show stoppers for me. I've tried short walks and the pebbles and twigs that work their way inside are annoying.

Also the leather in my hiking boots has numerous gashes where had that been my unprotected foot, I'd probably had some serious cuts.

I guess they can be OK on flat ground, but on the steep, rocky terrain that we have in this area I think sandals would be dangerous.

Well, it's much easier here in southern Arizona, where we have gently rolling hills covered with velvety soft green grass :P Example from a recent cache-placement mission:

6df26313-13bd-492a-8c11-3a6d48fde8cb.jpg

I'd have agreed with you a couple of years ago, when I wore desert combat boots on hikes and scrambles. And I will grant that if you just jump into sandals and undertake a tough hike you're asking for trouble. But with time and patience you can strengthen your feet to near indestructibility.

There are significant benefits: improved knee comfort, reduced susceptibility to ankle sprains, better agility and balance, elimination of moisture-related foot rot, reduced fatigue... and in my case the curing of a very stubborn case of plantar fasciitis, which was what got me started on the barefoot thing in the first place. I tried all the standard treatments until I hit on the idea of walking barefoot in sand as a way of stretching and soothing the soles of my feet. That led to running barefoot, hiking barefoot and in sandals, etc.

The main downside is obvious--there are all kinds of sharp objects in the environment that would just love to puncture or lacerate your feet. But in a very short time you develop a sixth sense that prevents most injuries.

It's not for everyone, but feet can be retrained to do their evolutionarily defined job without a lot of highly engineered support and padding.

Well here is an update. I was at a store the other day and found a new pair of tevas for 20 bucks. I picked them up, they seemed nice and had the toe cup on them which I thought would prevent shoveling sand into my shoe. After walking around town in them for a few days I took them out for a 3 mile hike. My number one concern was lack of ankle support. Over the years of hiking and other sports I have rolled my ankles so many times they have become very weak. I always wear boots for the additional support. To my extreme surprise I felt just fine in sandals. In fact I somehow felt more secure in sandals then in a low top boot or shoe. I also could not believe how cool my feet were. Anyway I am a big fan and will keep working my way into longer hikes with sandals.

Muel ears. How do the vibram fivefingers hold up in the AZ desert? I was under the impression they were more for kayaking and lite use in water. I thought about getting a pair but figured the desert would eat them up after one outing.

Well here is an update. I was at a store the other day and found a new pair of tevas for 20 bucks. I picked them up, they seemed nice and had the toe cup on them which I thought would prevent shoveling sand into my shoe. After walking around town in them for a few days I took them out for a 3 mile hike. My number one concern was lack of ankle support. Over the years of hiking and other sports I have rolled my ankles so many times they have become very weak. I always wear boots for the additional support. To my extreme surprise I felt just fine in sandals. In fact I somehow felt more secure in sandals then in a low top boot or shoe. I also could not believe how cool my feet were. Anyway I am a big fan and will keep working my way into longer hikes with sandals.

Muel ears. How do the vibram fivefingers hold up in the AZ desert? I was under the impression they were more for kayaking and lite use in water. I thought about getting a pair but figured the desert would eat them up after one outing.

Congrats on the successful sandal outing!

Regarding the Vibram FFs, you have to pick your battles. The uppers are not tough, and the soles can be punctured by goatheads, mesquite thorns, etc. Unless your feet are fully battle-hardened, they are best for on-trail hiking and relatively smooth rock-scrambling. That pic of me in the Dragoon mountains illustrates ideal terrain. If you plan to use 'em in sand washes, get the "KSO" model, which adds some coverage over the top of your foot to 'Keep Stuff Out.'

When I plan a hike that covers some suitable terrain, I toss the V-FFs into my pack (adding, what, 10 ounces?). I wear sandals for most of the trip, then switch to the V-FFs when they'd be most effective. I used that approach on GC14EMP in order to tackle a combination of trail hiking, wet/dry canyoneering and climbing.

I was intrigued when I saw this thread. I decided to see if I could find a review for similar conditions I would find myself in. I'm finding myself on a lot of cedar boardwalks and the review I found covers this as handling this kind of surface very well.

I agree with the observations made by the author of that article, but I should point out that he's reviewing a specialized version of the V-FF, the "Flow." This model has a neoprene upper and is meant to be worn in cold water as a wetsuit for your feet. The other V-FF models are warmer than sandals, but not nearly as warm as the "Flow."

I was intrigued when I saw this thread. I decided to see if I could find a review for similar conditions I would find myself in. I'm finding myself on a lot of cedar boardwalks and the review I found covers this as handling this kind of surface very well.

I agree with the observations made by the author of that article, but I should point out that he's reviewing a specialized version of the V-FF, the "Flow." This model has a neoprene upper and is meant to be worn in cold water as a wetsuit for your feet. The other V-FF models are warmer than sandals, but not nearly as warm as the "Flow."

Well you've seen the boots I wear all year. It'll be like walking barefoot to me. :P

Went out hiking yesterday, again in sandals, to try out wearing a button up long sleeve dress shirt. I decided to try this after noticing (last summer) most the construction workers, road workers, yard workers wore long sleeve button up shirts. I figured there must be a reason, so I tried it out.

This was only a half hearted test for two reasons. First it only got about 80 as a high while I was out. Second I didnt wear what I considered to be the optimal shirt (light weave, light color, more polyester) instead I went with a dark green 80% cotton 20% polyester blend. However I was surprised at the results. I hiked a bit over 5 miles. For the first mile I had my right sleeve rolled up to my elbow and my left sleeve down to try to compare the two for coolness and to see which arm started to sweat first. I had nearly identical results between the arms so I put the sleeve down. As the hike progressed and my undershirt got more saturated with sweat I began to feel cooler. With the undershirt holding onto the sweat and a baggy button up shirt I almost created my own wind as I walked which helped me stay cooler. When the breeze picked up I felt really good. Conclusion for this hike. I think I stayed a bit cooler, but I dont know by how much. I will try it again with a better shirt on. The big plus was I didnt have to wear any stinky, slimy sunscreen, with that positive note and not feeling any hotter than in a tshirt (possibly a bit cooler) I would call it a success and will try it again. I still really like hiking in sandals and am trying to work up my distance to about 20 miles in them

Edited by Roadtorque

Went out hiking yesterday, again in sandals, to try out wearing a button up long sleeve dress shirt. I decided to try this after noticing (last summer) most the construction workers, road workers, yard workers wore long sleeve button up shirts. I figured there must be a reason, so I tried it out.

This was only a half hearted test for two reasons. First it only got about 80 as a high while I was out. Second I didnt wear what I considered to be the optimal shirt (light weave, light color, more polyester) instead I went with a dark green 80% cotton 20% polyester blend. However I was surprised at the results. I hiked a bit over 5 miles. For the first mile I had my right sleeve rolled up to my elbow and my left sleeve down to try to compare the two for coolness and to see which arm started to sweat first. I had nearly identical results between the arms so I put the sleeve down. As the hike progressed and my undershirt got more saturated with sweat I began to feel cooler. With the undershirt holding onto the sweat and a baggy button up shirt I almost created my own wind as I walked which helped me stay cooler. When the breeze picked up I felt really good. Conclusion for this hike. I think I stayed a bit cooler, but I dont know by how much. I will try it again with a better shirt on. The big plus was I didnt have to wear any stinky, slimy sunscreen, with that positive note and not feeling any hotter than in a tshirt (possibly a bit cooler) I would call it a success and will try it again. I still really like hiking in sandals and am trying to work up my distance to about 20 miles in them

That's generally the way I hike, with long sleeves. The shirts I wear have straps inside the sleeves for when I feel like rolling them up and strapping the rolls in place so they don't slip back down. The pants are convertable as well. The beauty about my setup is I can be completely covered (I also have a hat net) when bugs are proliferant, or I can enjoy the sunny weather and try to work up a GI tan. My hiking partners on the other hand were "bugged" all day long on the hike the below pic came from.

e59b9a07-f2b5-4dda-97ea-fadc5e114cec.jpg

Totemlake after reading the log from the hike you took I would recommend you give sandals a shot. I started thinking about sandals after getting some massive blisters on my feet after one hot hike. I admit I am new to the sandals thing only having tried two hikes in the last week but so far I am a big fan. My feet stay a lot cooler and the problems I was worried about (dirt and pebbles, stubbed toes, no ankle support) have been no problem. In fact the only issue I can see is my white feet might need some sunscreen on the tops as summer moves on. I was looking at pants and a shirt similar to the one you are using in this pic at rei the other day. They were a bit pricey for hiking gear but I may get them anyway if it allows me to extend my hiking season further into summer

Totemlake after reading the log from the hike you took I would recommend you give sandals a shot. I started thinking about sandals after getting some massive blisters on my feet after one hot hike. I admit I am new to the sandals thing only having tried two hikes in the last week but so far I am a big fan. My feet stay a lot cooler and the problems I was worried about (dirt and pebbles, stubbed toes, no ankle support) have been no problem. In fact the only issue I can see is my white feet might need some sunscreen on the tops as summer moves on. I was looking at pants and a shirt similar to the one you are using in this pic at rei the other day. They were a bit pricey for hiking gear but I may get them anyway if it allows me to extend my hiking season further into summer

The boots were breaking down and I was unwilling to accept it early on. I've since retired them and my feet have been doing well again although I'm a firm believer of the sock liners now.

I'm toying with the idea, but I have to be careful with what I select. The bottoms of my feet sweat profusely with anything on them and become very tender to anything in contact with them unless the footware has good wicking capabilities. Sandals typically don't and the ones that do normally are not durable enough for where I find myself. I have a set of Tivas for when I'm in camp and do enjoy finding myself unemcumbered by the heavier boots.

I'm intrigued by the foot glove though and may give that a try.

I recently tried a sock liner (before switching to sandals). I had different results. They made my feet feel much cooler but it caused my over sock to slide down my foot and wad up in the toe end of the boot. After 3 miles i took my boots off and my over sock was only about 1/2 of the way on. Somehow in this process of sliding down my foot my boot really tore up the sock. Anyway. I too have some boots that need replacing and could have been what caused this. I will have to try it with new boots but I think I will stick with sandals for this summer. I am supposed to do a grand canyon one day rim to rim the end of may and am trying to decide if I should attempt it in sandals or buy a new pair of boots and get them broke in for that hike.

I haven't tried them, but I have seen "Injinji Tetrasoks" at Summithut in Tucson. They look like they'd work with the Vibram FFs, provided you have a little slack in the toe pockets to allow for the additional layer of fabric.

Personally, I regard the avoidance of socks as a major benefit of hiking barefoot or in sandals/V-FFs. Our desert grasses create hitchhiker seeds with barbs that attach to socks and itch like crazy. Bare ankles are immune.

Ah, heaven... The ultimate minimal footwear layering - no socks, no liners, no shoes, no problems!

34_16_06_08_8_35_12.jpg

My Tevas are strapped to the backpack where they had been for the past five miles. This was somewhere along the Appalachian Trail in Shenandoah National Park. The VFF's have definitely piqued my interest but I'm not sure I'd want to fork over $80 for an experiment. For me the sandals/barefoot combination works well. It's the best way to hike - especially in hot weather. I don't want to take this thread too far away from its original intent so feel free to PM me if you would like any more information about benefits, hazards, and methods for barefoot hiking.