Best Software Version for Vista Hcx?

OK, I've searched for the threads and even browsed hoping to land on them, but this forum is HUGE and I can't seem to cut through the fluff to find the threads.

There have been discussions ad nauseam regarding firmware (software) updates for the Vista Hcx. I remember issues of odometer inaccuracy and track drift just to name a few. There are many of you who wish you had stayed at the level you left behind when you updated and I wouldn't have a CLUE how to back up an update.

I'm currently running Software Version 2.40 and GSP SW Version 2.30. What is the accepted "best" combination and how do I find those updates? Are there remaining issues in the latest version?

Thanks!

Defiantly stick with 2.4 ! Do not upgrade unless you have a good reason, because 2.4 firmware is not a published release and you can not roll back to it once you have upgraded! I wish I could get back to 2.4 firmware but I have not been able to find it as a download from garmin (interestingly enough I did find 2.3). You can still get the 2.4 software, but not the firmware. I was pretty happy with my unit before I upgraded (yes the odometer was a bit off, but the position accuracy was very good and there was never any “drifting”), now I really don’t trust it, and I have to “power cycle” when what I see around me does not match what the unit says I should be seeing (I have seen it drift as much as 150 feet after being on for a few hours and coming out from under tree cover). As soon as I power cycle, it snaps right back to where it should be every time. Not that big of a deal, but it really screws up any tracks I am recording! Some have upgraded all the way to 2.8/2.8 with no problem, but I wasn’t one of them. I’m currently running 2.4 software and 2.5 firmware. Check out this link to a page I put together.

DON'T UPGRADE !!!!

A link to the last thread I started on this topic.

And a link to a long thread about some updateing results (not good)

Edited by 1XL-on-XR650L

Those aren't the threads I was remembering (so thanks for those links), that's a lot of new information. I remember blindmantoo posting all of his trials. After reading all that, has anyone tried 2.80/2.30?

And I'm confused about HOW to do the updates. The only update I did, I used the webupdater and it did it all for me; I was never asked about what version, etc. Can you give me a run-down on the HOW of loading a specific software version? Is the process the same for a firmware update as well?

I suggest you setup your own “local” webupdater. This will keep the standard webupdater from automatically trying to log on to the garmin web site and attempting to let garmin decide what to load onto your GPSr (which is the default action when you open the webupdater.exe file in Windows). To do this, I created a folder (“directory” if you are an “old timer” like me) under the garmin folder on my local hard disk called “XX”. Then I created folders under that folder that contain the files for each revision of the software/firmware.

Screenshot.gif

Once you have done all the “house work” of setting up folders and downloading files (see my link to the perry site), the rest is pretty easy. Simply plug in your GPSr to the USB port, and using Windows Explorer, drag and drop the desired version of software (or firmware) file onto the webupdater.exe file. Note: I disconnected my internet connection before trying this for the first time just to make sure I did not wind up on the garmin site, but it turned out that this was not necessary (still might not be a bad idea for you the first time around). Don’t forget to do a “hard reset” on your GPSr each time you change software and or firmware (hold down the power button, page button, and the joystick button all at the same time,,,, it is kind of hard to do, and may take a few attempts). You will loose all your preferred settings after a hard reset, but it is a necessary step to ensure that the new revision gets recognized and addressed. It will also be necessary to let your GPSr collect a new almanac after each hard reset (20 minutes under a clear sky to reacquire satellite locations).You can “mix and match” software/firmware versions in any variation you want. However, I do not know how many “burns” the EPROM that Garmin selected is rated for, so be somewhat selective about using them up.

I highly recommend you set up a “controlled test” prior to upgrading (or down grading) software or firmware. Unfortunately I did not do this before I did my first upgrade, and now all I can do is determine whether or not things are better than the last configuration I tried. If I had established a measurement of what I started with, then I would know if things could get even better. All I can do now is wonder how much worse it is than when I got it! The odometer is pretty straight forward to test, and the results are reasonably consistent (not overly dependent on signal bounce or week signals). I suspect that this is due to a simple dampening function in the math routines that only care about distance in increments of about 52 feet (.01 miles),,,,but who knows exactly how the software works anyway? The drifting issue is much harder to pin down. It does not happen with 100% predictability, so you might not see it every time you are out and about. The best I can determine is that it happens most often when the unit has been on for a few hours, and I have been in a “less than ideal” location for satellite reception for some of that time (under thick tree cover, or in a canyon). Also, I have never seen the “drift” when using my unit at speeds faster than walking speed (bicycle, motorcycle, car, etc,,). The bad part is that you would expect the unit to recover from the “drifting” position error in something less than the time a new ephemeris is recorded (something less than 5 minutes), but it does not! In fact, it seems to get worse with time. Fortunately by turning the unit off, and then powering up again (power cycle), everything immediately goes back to normal.

Edited by 1XL-on-XR650L