Release Notes 4/21/09

OpinioNate

For this month's release, many behind-the-scenes tweaks have been made which we hope will improve site performance.

The big project, Pocket Queries, is only half-finished or thereabouts so it didn't make it in this release. For this reason it's perhaps a bit lighter than in the past but we did manage to swat a few pesky bugs.

Release Notes - Geocaching.com: April 21st 2009

Hotfix:

3975: CITO photo gallery is now broken

HOTFIX: Fixed broken link to CITO gallery on /CITO

9432: Trackable Mileage no longer calculated automatically

HOTFIX: Fixed bug preventing trackables from automatically updating mileage

9620: anchor tags need to formatted same as before (Guidelines page)

HOTFIX: Fixed anchor tags on guidelines page to preserve historic links (e.g. forum post links)

Release:

9353: Remove Google Network KML Link from My Account Details

Discontinued support for Google Earth KML to improve site performance*

7873: Update opt out of email instructions

Updated opt out instructions for Groundspeak auto-generated emails

5849: User ability to disable auto-renew

Added option to cancel auto-renewing memberships on /subscription.aspx

2706: print-friendly page, and branding

Added site logo and URL to print friendly version of cache page

9575: Need link to GC.com sharing web page from user profile page

Added link to the Sharing page from the User profile

9514: Issues with Page Sizing on Common.master

Fixed limited page width to proper size for all /hotels pages

9033: My GPS: Dropdown duplicates items in Opera

Fixed My GPS issue with manufacturer dropdown duplicating menu items

9272: Search Results page word change - Refers only to Garmin GPS

Fixed wording at bottom of search results to clarify Send to GPS works with multiple GPS manufacturers

7079: need to link from Account to Profile page

Changed link text on several pages from My Account to My Profile

9709: Google Maps link on 'other conversions' page doesn't load properly\

Fixed Google Maps URL on "Other Conversions" and "Additional Waypoints" pages

8882: remove this text from the CITO page

Removed reference to Cafe Press from /CITO

1536: Unpublished Printer friendly pages

Closed loophole which allowed viewing of an unpublished cache page using the print friendly view

9414: Geocaching Friends email never gives opportunity to view sender's profile

Added missing link to user's profile when receiving a friend request email

9417: Poor wrapping of filter checkboxes and matching icons on Google Map

Fixed page wrapping of cache type checkboxes on Geocaching Google Maps

9098: text change at "Cache Maintenance" guideline

Updated maintenance guidelines from "...may archive or transfer the listing." to "...may archive the listing."

9191: Benchmarking Link Bad

Fixed link on benchmark page to correctly begin a new search (previously directed user to a geocache search)

9202: My Location: incorrect wording

Fixed incorrect instructions for updating home coordinates

9636: Manage Location text doesn't match button

Updated description and button text on home coordinates page to clarify instructions

9525: Membership registration form does not initially detect starting space used in User Name field

Fixed username field in member registration to accurately detect a leading space in new usernames

8997: typo: two extraneous periods

Edited grammar for post-cache submission warning

9604: Text change: Remove conflicting text on cache submission page

Fixed conflicting text on cache submission form instructing users on what is allowed in the Nickname field

8093: Add "remove from watchlist" link to Trackable details page

Fixed "remove from watchlist" link on trackable details pages

8976: typo: at cache details page

Changed "User's Web Page" text to "Related Web Page" on cache listings

9103: need link to KB from Resources

Added link to Groundspeak support Knowledgebase on Resources page

9000: Change "devices" to "reviews" on gadget page

In GPS reviews changed text from "Devices 1 of 341" to "Review 1 of 341"

9269: Pocket Queries: Term change 'delete' instead of 'archive'

Changed the term "archive" to "delete" for clarity on pocket query generator page

*This may come as a surprise to some users, so I'd like to offer an explanation. There are a couple reasons for the removal of the network KML. The network KML was implemented before we had a proper online mapping tool for Geocaching.com. Some of the more tenured cachers may recall the old GeoMicro maps that would reload the page every time you panned or zoomed (and how tedious that was). However, the subsequent introduction of full-featured Geocaching.com Google Maps has made the KML link somewhat redundant.

The other reason is that only about 200 users regularly accessed the Google Earth KML, and the performance hit to the site was grossly out of proportion with the return. In other words, it was making the site run quite slowly.

Groundspeak hesitates to inconvenience even a small number of geocachers. However, it is sometimes necessary for us to identify areas of performance loss as the site grows in order to keep the site responsive and available at all times, even if it means sacrificing a feature that some found useful. Obviously we would rather introduce new features than take them away, so we hope you can understand the uncomfortable situation this places us in.

Please keep in mind, however, that you can still use Google Earth to import .GPX files from Pocket Queries. In fact, the accuracy will be much better since the network KML has always randomized locations to some extent anyway. We'll continue to explore better ways to map geocaches that serve the needs of the majority of the caching community without jeopardizing the website's stability.

Post here with any problems. If you can tell the difference between old bugs and new ones introduced in this release please only post the latter. We'll get to the known bugs in a future release. Thanks!

Edited by OpinioNate

Well done.

Nice to see the "sharing with twitter" functionality on my profile, as well, the problem fixed with the trackable mileage.

Now, I'm going to hide. It's not going to be easy to defend the loss of the network kml. Still, your numbers make sense and since they affect that much the site performance, so be it.

I've been using the geocaching.com google maps for quite some time, now. Think I used GE for the last time last September just to draw a route.

If needed, I'll import the PQs onto Google Earth.

Keep it up!

Thanks for all the hard work you folks have put in for these updates.

Although I did use the Google Earth KML quite a bit, it really wasn't ever accurate. As soon as you panned around a bit, the markers would appear in completely different places and were never consistent.

I don't see any mention of the recent notification issues that the site has been experiencing. This is anything from owner notifications to watchlist notifications to new cache notifications. Was any work done to fix this?

Again, thanks for your hard work guys.

It look like this bug missed another release. :laughing:

I'm sorry your pet bug didn't make it into this release, but please heed my request in the OP to not comment on issues unrelated to the current update. Thank you.

Post here with any problems. If you can tell the difference between old bugs and new ones introduced in this release please only post the latter. We'll get to the known bugs in a future release. Thanks!

Thanks for all the hard work you folks have put in for these updates.

Although I did use the Google Earth KML quite a bit, it really wasn't ever accurate. As soon as you panned around a bit, the markers would appear in completely different places and were never consistent.

I don't see any mention of the recent notification issues that the site has been experiencing. This is anything from owner notifications to watchlist notifications to new cache notifications. Was any work done to fix this?

Again, thanks for your hard work guys.

I understand there were some hiccups recently with certain owner emails not received, but checking into our email server recently confirmed that everything is working as intended. If you have some examples we can track down of missing email that would be helpful, but again, that's for a different thread.

I have to say that I am surprised only 200 people used the google earth plugin routinely. I guess I didn't use it every day but it was definately quick and easy to use. It will be missed, but I will try and use the built-in maps more now. As you said, they are a lot better.

One suggestion for the maps page. Is there any way you can make the scrollwheel zoom in/out when the mouse is over the map? It makes it a lot easier to move and and zoom in/out on the map. It works on maps.google.com.

On another random note, I have a request for pocket queries. I know that you're not going to change the limit on them and I respect that but here's a thought. When I go on vacation or travel for work, I tend to not really have an idea of where I'm going to go. For example, we went down to the Tampa area for spring break. A couple years ago we went there and 2 queries sufficed to cover a majority of the areas that we would be going over vacation. I was very surprised to see the number of caches that have been added in the last couple of areas. To cover the tampa/st. pete area took me about 8 queries to get setup. The problem I have is that I tend to have bad or no internet connectivity so I like to have my PQs in GSAK and on my PDA. Makes life easy to go "hey, I'm near a cache" and have the info and be able to get it.

So, here's my suggestion. Setup pre-generated PQs that can be subscribed to. Perhaps by county or zip code or something like that. It shouldn't be too much of a load to generate them daily or weekly and then you'd be able to let them download on-demand from the website and also queue them up to be emailed out. If you had that, I'd probably never setup my own pocket query again and just use that.

I know that even in my home area (indianapolis) there's a ridiculous number of caches around and it takes a lot of queries to keep me covered for all the places I go routinely.

Hmmm, for me that looks still very poor:

2154466.png

The wrap should be done after the event-icon ...

Klaus

Klaus, I've tested this on IE, Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and Opera (all under Windows) and not one looks like that. All in my tests look correct. Are you by chance on a Mac or using some other configuration?

*This may come as a surprise to some users, so I'd like to offer an explanation. There are a couple reasons for the removal of the network KML. The network KML was implemented before we had a proper online mapping tool for Geocaching.com. Some of the more tenured cachers may recall the old GeoMicro maps that would reload the page every time you panned or zoomed (and how tedious that was). However, the subsequent introduction of full-featured Geocaching.com Google Maps has made the KML link somewhat redundant.

The other reason is that only about 200 users regularly accessed the Google Earth KML, and the performance hit to the site was grossly out of proportion with the return. In other words, it was making the site run quite slowly.

Groundspeak hesitates to inconvenience even a small number of geocachers. However, it is sometimes necessary for us to identify areas of performance loss as the site grows in order to keep the site responsive and available at all times, even if it means sacrificing a feature that some found useful. Obviously we would rather introduce new features than take them away, so we hope you can understand the uncomfortable situation this places us in.

Please keep in mind, however, that you can still use Google Earth to import .GPX files from Pocket Queries. In fact, the accuracy will be much better since the network KML has always randomized locations to some extent anyway. We'll continue to explore better ways to map geocaches that serve the needs of the majority of the caching community without jeopardizing the website's stability.

It´s a very bad surprise.

Your google Maps does´nt work with over 500 caches.

In my city are round about 800 Caches.

I found 700 of it and switch "show founds" off.

But it´s not possible to show the rest of 100 Caches on together because google maps says "Too much ..."

If only 200 people use the KML to it could not influence the performance ....

Very, very bad news ;-(

Biggi

I have to say that I am surprised only 200 people used the google earth plugin routinely. I guess I didn't use it every day but it was definately quick and easy to use. It will be missed, but I will try and use the built-in maps more now. As you said, they are a lot better.

One suggestion for the maps page. Is there any way you can make the scrollwheel zoom in/out when the mouse is over the map? It makes it a lot easier to move and and zoom in/out on the map. It works on maps.google.com.

I like this suggestion, but I'm pretty sure it's a technical limitation. I'll check on that to make sure.

On another random note, I have a request for pocket queries. I know that you're not going to change the limit on them and I respect that but here's a thought. When I go on vacation or travel for work, I tend to not really have an idea of where I'm going to go. For example, we went down to the Tampa area for spring break. A couple years ago we went there and 2 queries sufficed to cover a majority of the areas that we would be going over vacation. I was very surprised to see the number of caches that have been added in the last couple of areas. To cover the tampa/st. pete area took me about 8 queries to get setup. The problem I have is that I tend to have bad or no internet connectivity so I like to have my PQs in GSAK and on my PDA. Makes life easy to go "hey, I'm near a cache" and have the info and be able to get it.

So, here's my suggestion. Setup pre-generated PQs that can be subscribed to. Perhaps by county or zip code or something like that. It shouldn't be too much of a load to generate them daily or weekly and then you'd be able to let them download on-demand from the website and also queue them up to be emailed out. If you had that, I'd probably never setup my own pocket query again and just use that.

I know that even in my home area (indianapolis) there's a ridiculous number of caches around and it takes a lot of queries to keep me covered for all the places I go routinely.

I can appreciate the problem you're having, but (and I don't mean to be rude) there is a lot wrong with this idea. How do you define a country/region in a global game? What about all the filters people use in their queries? Would they be happy with a generic PQ that includes everything (including caches they have found)? Maybe this is an idea you can refine with the help of others in another thread.

You did score one with download on-demand. This is a goal of ours, but still on an individual basis.

I'm sorry your pet bug didn't make it into this release, but please heed my request in the OP to not comment on issues unrelated to the current update. Thank you.

My bad! I should have read the whole post before opening my mouth for foot insertion. :laughing:

My bad! I should have read the whole post before opening my mouth for foot insertion. :laughing:

It's ok. These release threads are long enough without unrelated posts, though. As you can see by the post before this one it's just too much to resist.

Sorry for the snark. That's a legit new bug!

Edited by OpinioNate

Glad to see that the TB mileage issue is repaired. That was making it interesting when I would go through and update the stats for my Great TB Race.

I wish I had thought to say something before now, but I was wondering about an update to the Geocaching Maps page that would move the red bar that says "Adjust your zoom level to view caches" to another spot. I know at least on Firefox that it covers up a good portion of the buttons for Map, Satellite, & Terrain whenever this message is visible. It results in only a very thin section of those buttons that is actually able to be clicked on. I'll go make a post about it on the "needs to be updated" section of the forums if there isn't already a post about it.

Great work with the updates. Now you just need to fix the bug that prevents everyone's membership fees from going into my own banking account and you'll have the perfect update to the site.

Edited by TripCyclone

Hi,

Klaus, I've tested this on IE, Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and Opera (all under Windows) and not one looks like that. All in my tests look correct. Are you by chance on a Mac or using some other configuration?

I don't have a Mac, but i tested several configurations under Windows and Linux:

Windows Chrome:

2154532.png

Windows Firefox:

2154533.png

Windows Internet Explorer 8:

2154534.png

Windows Opera:

2154535.png

Windows Arora (uses Safari Engine)

2154536.png

Linux Firefox:

2154537.png

Quite different results, IE uses 3 lines while Firefox (Linux) does a wrong break. Strange ...

Klaus

Edited by team-noris

Mostly good fixes and tweaks; I'll have to go check it out.

Sad to see it go. I'm surprised that it was that much more resource-intensive than the Google Maps interface.

One thing I liked about the KML option is that I could add multiple data sets to Google Earth -- e.g. caches, bus routes, park maps. Pocket Queries help, but for getting an idea of an area it was nice. Also, I may be wrong, but I think the KML link was available to "basic" members.

1536: Unpublished Printer friendly pages

Closed loophole which allowed viewing of an unpublished cache page using the print friendly view

Aww. :laughing::laughing:

The removal of the Google Earth KML link is a nasty surprise. I can't imagine that only 200 people used this regularly. Google Maps doesn't work properly for me, there are always problems with "zooming to address" (and it didn't matter if I used IE or Firefox).

Edited by Struzinelle

The big project, Pocket Queries, is only half-finished or thereabouts so it didn't make it in this release. For this reason it's perhaps a bit lighter than in the past but we did manage to swat a few pesky bugs.

What's up with this project? Bigger/more often PQs? Inquiring minds want to know... :laughing:

Hmmm, for me that looks still very poor:

2154466.png

The wrap should be done after the event-icon ...

Klaus

It's a font size thing, Moun10Bike. Bang on alt-plus a few times and you'll find that most of the browsers will sometimes split the line between the check and the icon, leading to wackiness on the next line. I remember looking at this once and t hinking that if th checkbox-container class had CSS that marked those divs "white-space: nowrap;" that it'd probably be cured.

I could be wrong on the fix, but that's where I'd start.

I just dipped my geocoin twice in the past 20 minutes and neither time did the mileage update automatically. I still had to manually update the mileage.

Bruce

I just dipped my geocoin twice in the past 20 minutes and neither time did the mileage update automatically. I still had to manually update the mileage.

Bruce

The updating may not be instantaneous. How long did you wait before checking the mileage?

I'm gonna miss the Google Earth KML. I guess I was one of the 200. I used that constantly. I'm gonna need to learn some new trick.

Please explain to me this Google and Earth and KML reference. I must be an old dog since I do not seem to know what this trick was. I must not be one of the 200.

I'm gonna miss the Google Earth KML. I guess I was one of the 200. I used that constantly. I'm gonna need to learn some new trick.

Please explain to me this Google and Earth and KML reference. I must be an old dog since I do not seem to know what this trick was. I must not be one of the 200.

Until today there was a link on the My Account, now My Profile, Page that could be opened in Google Earth. it showed caches as icons on Google Earth. The icons could be clicked on to take you to the cache page for the cache it represented. I found it useful in locating places for new cache hides and to target areas I wanted to visit.

I was used to working with that system. I guess I'll have to do it with the other mapping options.

Until today there was a link on the My Account, now My Profile, Page that could be opened in Google Earth. it showed caches as icons on Google Earth. The icons could be clicked on to take you to the cache page for the cache it represented. I found it useful in locating places for new cache hides and to target areas I wanted to visit.

I was used to working with that system. I guess I'll have to do it with the other mapping options.

Aha. I have done this using the "view map" option on the cache page since that became available. Perhaps this is similar. I use the view map option to quickly search areas and pan to other areas. Sounds similar, no?

Aha. I have done this using the "view map" option on the cache page since that became available. Perhaps this is similar. I use the view map option to quickly search areas and pan to other areas. Sounds similar, no?

Can't get the broad view that was available the other way. If you back the view out on the maps you end up with an exceeded 500 caches message. In Google Earth it would show fewer caches but maintain relative densities. Cities showed more caches that rural areas. A good overview that you could then zoom into.

The updating may not be instantaneous. How long did you wait before checking the mileage?

Going off past experience, whenever I logged the drop, the updated mileage was displayed as soon as the page loaded. Since I didn't see that, I assumed the mileage still wasn't updating and manually recalculated right away. When I dip my coin tomorrow, I'll wait and see if it does update after a time.

Bruce

Glad to hear the mileage bug is fixed - but we still have an issue with this bug - the last hop has been added twice, so the total mileage is 3789 miles higher than it should be. I tried recalculating again about an hour ago, but it's still wrong. It's on my watchlist, and I haven't been notified of any deleted logs that may account for the additional mileage. I did post this in the TB mileage thread before I realised there had been a release yesterday. Thanks

It´s a very bad surprise.

Your google Maps does´nt work with over 500 caches.

In my city are round about 800 Caches.

I found 700 of it and switch "show founds" off.

But it´s not possible to show the rest of 100 Caches on together because google maps says "Too much ..."

If only 200 people use the KML to it could not influence the performance ....

Very, very bad news ;-(

Biggi

I'm not happy too although I used the KML not too often.

Two issues using the maps on GC.com:

*) The drawing speed is very slow compared to the GE-Interface.

*) Viewing a very sparsely populated area. At a certain zoomlevel no caches are shown even when the number of caches displayed would be small.

I only used it occasionally and won't miss it at all. I prefer either the geocaching maps or opening PQ results with Google Earth.

Thanks for all the other updates.

It seems that many are missing this portion of the original post.

It seems that many are missing this portion of the original post.

Didn't miss that. How does it address the broad view 500 cache limit issue? Are we supposed to use our PQs to get around that? It doesn't get more than 500 caches either, and wastes a PQ. Using the Google Earth KML gave us that broad view. I wasn't looking for pinpoint accuracy, just a decent overview.

I can understand that it was a feature that only a relative few used. I can understand that the object is to improve site performance. It doesn't mean I have to be happy about it.

So, what feature is going away next? Is it going to be one you use and enjoy?

It's a font size thing, Moun10Bike. Bang on alt-plus a few times and you'll find that most of the browsers will sometimes split the line between the check and the icon, leading to wackiness on the next line. I remember looking at this once and t hinking that if th checkbox-container class had CSS that marked those divs "white-space: nowrap;" that it'd probably be cured.

I could be wrong on the fix, but that's where I'd start.

Thanks, all! I'll see if we can get that corrected.

Me too. The new trick is for Groundspeak to get better dedicated servers to run this place on.

It has never been a hardware issue. Unfortunately there are problems that can't be solved by throwing money at them.

Really dissapointed with the discontinuation of the Google Earth KML overlay - I used it to identify caches when I go on holiday - Will be in the New Forest area and used it to find caches around where we will be staying - how do I use the built in maps to do that when you don't know of any caches in the area in the first place? Then will be in Washington DC and have the same problem??

Me too. The new trick is for Groundspeak to get better dedicated servers to run this place on.

It has never been a hardware issue. Unfortunately there are problems that can't be solved by throwing money at them.

Huh? A server is more than hardware - it is also software. Perhaps the Microsoft model is not one that works well for such a busy place. Would not this place have been better served using Linux & PHP right from the start?

Really dissapointed with the discontinuation of the Google Earth KML overlay - I used it to identify caches when I go on holiday - Will be in the New Forest area and used it to find caches around where we will be staying - how do I use the built in maps to do that when you don't know of any caches in the area in the first place? Then will be in Washington DC and have the same problem??

Yes, that is what I find disappointing about the removal. It was a valuable tool for that purpose.

Would this work Nate:

Mirror the DB with the caches and stick it on another box and use this to make the calls to for the KML.

... and Get this forum on its own Box.