PN-40 Screen Size

It (visually looking at both of them now on my desk) is about 2/3 the size of the Colorado's screen.

It is smaller, but its also more visible with less backlight.

I'll probably try to get some comparisons and lots of pics up this weekend, comparing the pn-40 to the Colorado.

I've had an PN20, Colorado 400t and 76CSx simultaneously on handlebars.

Has similar visibility to 76CSx in varying lighting conditions.

I sold the 400t, because the screen was usually too washed out and the designers decided that multi-track visibility wasn't needed. I also mark a ton of spots and data entry was slower than on the 76 and pathetic compared to PN20/40.

Of course I would prefer a larger screen, but it is quite readable.

If you had to choice between the PN40 and the Oregon 400T which one would you take and why?

I myself am looking for a good Hiking GPS that will do turn by turn like my 60c.

Thanks

Sounds like you want a 60CSX. I have the PN-40 which will work just fine for the turn by turn but Garmin still has the edge in routing, even with the handhelds. I had a 60CSX and did use it for routing on the road and for a handheld it was great! For all out Value I will recommend the PN-40.

Jeff

Ohhhhhh, now you've gone and done it!

I chose the PN-40 for a few reasons. The main one was the ability to display aerial imagery and USGS topo maps via the $30 per year Map Library subscription. For me, this is very important for exploring but not such a big deal for Geocaching. The pre-loaded topo maps that supported on-road routing were also a factor. Last but not least was cost. The PN-40 is significantly cheaper than the Oregon 400T.

However... I really like the display size on the Oregon and the 3D view and shaded terrain. It's very helpful for Geocaching and exploring but still gets trumped by the imagery and USGS quads in my book.

I've found the Topo USA software to be a big bonus as well. It's quite powerful and also allows me to display the imagery and USGS maps on a big screen both at home and on the road using my notebook. Nothing beats a 15" screen for reading maps and getting good situational awareness.

As always, YMMV!

If you had to choice between the PN40 and the Oregon 400T which one would you take and why?

Thanks

All of the newest handhelds will work just fine for hiking and if the imagery is of importance to you as it was with me then the PN-40 is the one to buy but I was answering to the thought of using a handheld for road routing. The 60CSX is hard to beat in that catagory. One of the biggest reasons is when you compare the Garmins a CSX has all the others beat in the displaying without a backlight. Plus the battery life is still very good.

All of the newest handhelds will work just fine for hiking and if the imagery is of importance to you as it was with me then the PN-40 is the one to buy but I was answering to the thought of using a handheld for road routing.

I, too, was confused by this, Jeff:

I myself am looking for a good Hiking GPS that will do turn by turn like my 60c.

That is, hiking and turn by turn are mentioned in the same sentence.

AFAIK, turn by turn road guidance is for driving cars on streets, roads and highways.

I was not aware that there are handhelds that can be configured to provide turn by turn guidance on back country hiking trails which are closed to motor vehicles.

Anybody?

I was not aware that there are handhelds that can be configured to provide turn by turn guidance on back country hiking trails which are closed to motor vehicles.
I'm not either.

But maybe the OP is planning to drive to the trailhead, using the GPS in more than one venue on any given day?

Edited by lee_rimar
Everything Post#9 and subsequent off topic?????????
Nah, that's just normal drift. From "how small is the screen" to "what do you use it for" to "which do you prefer and why..."

I don't think it REALLY went into the dustbin until the mention of TicTac storage :laughing: But if someone REALLY wants to discuss the size and shape of lanyard holes, it's nice the PN-40's doesn't have to be threaded with tweezers and a jeweler's loupe, as some lanyard holes do. It's just a shame they put it at the top, instead of the bottom where it belongs.

Edited by lee_rimar

Of course, and any equally useful observation regarding the size and shape of the lanyard hole?

It is perfectly adequate for storing a single Tic-Tac :laughing:

This made me snort milk. We really need a picture to back this claim up.

Screen size on the PN-40 is fine.. it's bright and clear. Close to the Etrexes, which I used for many a year.

All of the newest handhelds will work just fine for hiking and if the imagery is of importance to you as it was with me then the PN-40 is the one to buy but I was answering to the thought of using a handheld for road routing.

I, too, was confused by this, Jeff:

That is, hiking and turn by turn are mentioned in the same sentence.

AFAIK, turn by turn road guidance is for driving cars on streets, roads and highways.

Anybody?

My HEMI powered JEEP Grand Cherokee Limited with the REC Navigation Radio System will by pressing the TRAIL button underneath the joystick. As for handhelds, My Vista HCx will with any Garmin 24K TOPO map as well as with custom maps. I think it can be also done on other systems but others call add their comments. BTW, the screen size of the PN-40 is just right. Edited by coggins

I have to apologize fro my post as I was in a hurry. I meant that I currently have a 60c that I use for hiking and the city select turn by turn. I want something that works well for both. I am very interested in being able to load the USGS and sat map. Is the screen on the PN-40 easy to read these maps? Sorry got to run my 2 year old is dive bombing me to get my attention.

thanks

Martin

I have to apologize fro my post as I was in a hurry. I meant that I currently have a 60c that I use for hiking and the city select turn by turn. I want something that works well for both. I am very interested in being able to load the USGS and sat map. Is the screen on the PN-40 easy to read these maps? Sorry got to run my 2 year old is dive bombing me to get my attention.

thanks

Martin

Ok, I understand your question better now, thatnks.

Turn-by-turn: PN-40 will do it and it will beep to indicate turns. However, if turn-by-turn is a far more important criterion than others, it is hard for me to recommend it. Fortunately, I have a factory, in dash, GPS/NAV to use for that. :unsure:

Easy to see screen: You wil get a wide range of opinions here. I prefer geocaching with the aerial photo imagery as opposed to the street maps. I have no trouble seeing this imagery on my PN-40. OTOH, I have a good optometrist.

Geocaching: If you assign a far higher priority to geocaching than turn-by-turn, I do recommend the PN-40.