geocaching gear

HereBeDragons01

I am just starting out geocaching and love it so far. I am looking at getting a bag to carry my stuff in and was wondering what is the best choice. I know it depends on what you like but I wanted to hear some thoughts. I am considering either a camelbak or one of those utility shoulder bags.

I like the camelbaks because they have a built in water bottle but the other ones seem like they would be easier to get to without taking it off. I will probably be riding my bike to some of the caches so the shoulder bag might be hard to carry if I am and I would have to carry a water bottle. What do you think?

The camel back is what worked out best for me (after I first did the pocket thing, Fanny pack, and regular back pack). I do not need to take it off to take a drink, and it sits well on my back. The straps have handy loops for hanging my GPSr and cell phone on, and it can be removed and hung on a tree branch to access the stuff in the back. I bought the smaller version first (I think it is called the "Junior"), but I wanted more water and carrying capacity (geocaching junk), so I bought the next size up. I still have all the other carrying equipment, but only the Fanny pack comes out of storage when I need to "supplement" my carrying capacity (planting several new cache sites). The camel back works for hiking, bicycling (mountain bike), Motorcycle (on and off road), and even works pretty good as a consolidated geocaching storage device in the 4X4 (for the park and grabs). But just like GPSr's, everybody has their own reasons for liking (or not liking) what they use. You will just have to get out there and figure out what will work best for you and the conditions you most often find yourself in.

After caching with a smaller camelback (without bladder... so really: small backpack), I decided to pull the trigger on this pack for around $60 on steepandcheap. I think for me, a good, lightweight pack that is durable and has some ventilation is perfect for my caching. Hoping it works out well :unsure: It's likely to pop up on steepandcheap again so if you find that it's a good fit for you, watch the site :( There are some design issues that I have with it but with a pack it's all about trying it out. Luckily I can return it whenever for whatever reason so I'm comfortable giving it a go. Also, other superlite packs might be good fits for you since we all carry our gear + swag in one pack :D Good luck!

I have a small backpack I got at walmart for $15 or $20. It has several pockets and holds a water bladder(not included). It does me well. holds my gps stuff, extra batteries, pens, note book, swag, a sweater and lunch.

...And I do have several backpacks; I have a backpack for for most things, all loaded and ready to go! two fishing packs, a hiking(overnight) pack, a day and a half pack, a ballpark pack and my geocaching pack

My husband has a tactical vest that has tons of pockets. He carries just about everything in there!

I carry the backpack with the swag and stuff like extra ziplocs, pens, duct tape, hand sanitizer, etc.

My backpack is the same backpack I've had since my sophomore year of high school, and that I used all through college (granted, I'm not that old, but I've had the backpack almost 15 years!).

I want to get a versipack though, I hear great things about them :unsure:

-Rozie

i am also very new at this. about to go find a few today. i thought i would use a light weight mesh packpack that i use for biking. it is lightweight, breathes so my back doesn't sweat, and easy to see through so i don't have to dig deep into a dark bag. it serves me well for biking so we'll see for geo-c

We've been using a small leather backpack purse (wife carrys that) and I'll take care of the GPSr and carry a bottle of water and my camera.

I got a Lowepro Inverse 100 to carry the camer in and it has adequate space for an extra lens, bottle of water and pockets for other various sundries. It is a waistpack (like a fannypack) that has adjustable straps, padding, etc..

I got mine on eBay for $35 (retail is like $70 plus). When I need more camera gear I'll load up my Mini Trekker Classic. Lots of hidey holes for lenses and other gear but gets heavy if too loaded down.

I like the ideas of some of the other posters using VOMP's as well.

I really have 3 bags that I will grab depending on where I am and where I am going. I have a small shoulder/hip bag - big enough for some spare batteries, small first aid kit, a water bottle, paper, pens, cell pocket and some swag. I also have a large Kelty fanny pack with a bit more room for stuff - better if I grab my hiking staff. For longer hikes/walks in rural areas I use a Moutainsmith Approach 2 daypack that has a lot of emergency items and some rain gear (or other seasonal gear) and plenty of room for water and snacks.