magellan gps 300

kuttmost

I am really new to geocaching. I purchased a Magellan GPS 300 on craigslist and I am having trouble putting in coordinates. The unit was band new in the box. It is discontinued so I cant get any information n it. It seems like the coordinates just dont fit into the unit. If anyone is knowledgeable with these things please let me know. I need all of the help that I can get!!

I assume you mean a Triton 300? I have a Triton 400, the process is the same. The Tritons do have paperless caching capability. To take advantage of this, you need to be able to download gpx files; to do that, you need to be a premium member. Follow these instructions...

You need to be a premium member to download gpx files. ...

You can use either step 2a, 2b or 2c to get the caches from the website in VP.

1. On the page of a cache, click GPX eXchange File and save it to your hard drive; I organized mine into different folders, basically by city(I usually name them the same as on the website; make sure that the file name ends in .gpx)

2a. Upload the .gpx file into Vantage point; from Vantage Point software, click the library tab, select Import to import the file into VP; then select the file from your hard drive. You can only do one file at a time, pain in the butt.

2b. To import multiple gpx files at once, open the folder that contains the gpx files and open VP; click the library tab, then select geocaches(reasure chesat icon). Select the files(hold down CTRL and click the ones you want; then drag them into VP

2c. Create a Pocket Query; unzip zip it; then import in into VP.

3. Transfer the file to GPSr. Connect your unit the the computer via usb; then from VP, click the MyGps tab. Then Click Transfer From PC to My GPS on the left where it says Snyc. Then a window will popup and to can select waypoints or geocaches; I uncheck both boxes. Then click the plus sign next to geocaches; then chech the boxes next to all the caches you want to transfer; it'll do how many ever you select. Then click OK and let it do it's thing.

What you will get on your Triton is…

1. Name

2. Cache Type

3. Coordinates

4. Distance from current location

5. Hint

6. Short Description

7. Long Description

If you do not want to be a premium member, you can follow these instuctions to get the loc files from the website...

You need to be a premium member to download gpx files.

You can use either step 2a or 2b to get the caches from the website in VP.

1. On the page of a cache, click LOC waypoint File and save it to your hard drive; I organized mine into different folders, basically by city(I usually name them the same as on the website; make sure that the file name ends in .loc)

2a. Upload the .loc file into Vantage point; from Vantage Point software, click the library tab, select Import to import the file into VP; then select the file from your hard drive. You can only do one file at a time, pain in the butt.

2b. To import multiple loc files at once, open the folder that contains the gpx files and open VP; click the library tab, then select geocaches(reasure chesat icon). Select the files(hold down CTRL and click the ones you want; then drag them into VP

3. Transfer the file to GPSr. Connect your unit the the computer via usb; then from VP, click the MyGps tab. Then Click Transfer From PC to My GPS on the left where it says Snyc. Then a window will popup and to can select waypoints or geocaches; I uncheck both boxes. Then click the plus sign next to geocaches; then chech the boxes next to all the caches you want to transfer; it'll do how many ever you select. Then click OK and let it do it's thing.

If you just want to enter them manually, do this...

It should be just like my T400. I do recommend becoming a Premium Member so you can download the gpx files and take advantage of the Tritons paperless features. If you do not want to do that, I believe you can download the .loc files free without being a premium member; you will just get the coordinance and no other info about the cache.

That said, yes you can manually enter them in(though it gets old real quick).

Do this...

First, make sure you are in the right datum mode; once you change it, it will stay that way until you change it again, so you don't have to change it for every cache or every time you turn the unit on...

1. Menu->View->Settings

2. Click Navigation.

3. Click Coodinate System.

4. Press Select.

5. Make sure Lat/Long is set.

6. Make sure Lat/Long is still highlighted

7. Press Select Twice; you should see the Accuracy screen

8. Select DEG/MIN.MMM

9. Highlight the Map Datum field

10. Press Select

11. select WGS84

12. Press the Select button

13. Press escape 5 times(until you get back to the map screen)

Now to enter the actual cache location...

1. Menu->Creat->Geocache

2. Click on Coordinance

3. Pres the down arrow and highlight the Name field field; it usually already shows GC001 or similar.

4. highlight the little blue x on the left(not the big red one or the one in the alphabet).

5. Press the x as many times as it takes to remove the current info.

6. using the keypad, enter either the name of the cache. If you need to enter numbers, click the little blue 123 on the lower left of the screen.

7. After you finish entering the name, highlight the green check mark at the bottom

8. Press the Select key.

9. Press the left key and highlight the icon to the left of the name field; looks like a globe

10. Press Select button

11. Select the cache type.

12. Press Select button

13. Highlight the Lat field under where it says Location.

14. Press Select

15. Highlight the little blue x again

16. Press the Select button until the current info is removed.

17. Enter the numbers of the coordinance(ex 37 33.227)

18. Highlight the little abc icon on the lower left of the screen.

19. Press Select

20. Highlight the N(if in north America).

21. Highlight the green check mark.

22. Press Select

23. Highlight the Long field right below

24. Press Select

25. Highlight the little blue x again

26. Press the Select button until the current info is removed.

27. Enter the numbers of the coordinance(ex 122 56.772)

28. Highlight the little abc icon on the lower left of the screen.

29. Press Select

30. Highlight the W(if in north America).

31. Highlight the green check mark.

32. Press Select

33. You can press the down arrow and see the rest of the cache fields and edit them the same way; though it is time consuming and not necessary to find the cache

34.Highlight the green check mark at the top of the screen

35 Press Select

The End.

If you just want to enter them manually, do this...

It should be just like my T400. I do recommend becoming a Premium Member so you can download the gpx files and take advantage of the Tritons paperless features. If you do not want to do that, I believe you can download the .loc files free without being a premium member; you will just get the coordinance and no other info about the cache.

That said, yes you can manually enter them in(though it gets old real quick).

Do this...

First, make sure you are in the right datum mode; once you change it, it will stay that way until you change it again, so you don't have to change it for every cache or every time you turn the unit on...

1. Menu->View->Settings

2. Click Navigation.

3. Click Coodinate System.

4. Press Select.

5. Make sure Lat/Long is set.

6. Make sure Lat/Long is still highlighted

7. Press Select Twice; you should see the Accuracy screen

8. Select DEG/MIN.MMM

9. Highlight the Map Datum field

10. Press Select

11. select WGS84

12. Press the Select button

13. Press escape 5 times(until you get back to the map screen)

Now to enter the actual cache location...

1. Menu->Creat->Geocache

2. Click on Coordinance

3. Pres the down arrow and highlight the Name field field; it usually already shows GC001 or similar.

4. highlight the little blue x on the left(not the big red one or the one in the alphabet).

5. Press the x as many times as it takes to remove the current info.

6. using the keypad, enter either the name of the cache. If you need to enter numbers, click the little blue 123 on the lower left of the screen.

7. After you finish entering the name, highlight the green check mark at the bottom

8. Press the Select key.

9. Press the left key and highlight the icon to the left of the name field; looks like a globe

10. Press Select button

11. Select the cache type.

12. Press Select button

13. Highlight the Lat field under where it says Location.

14. Press Select

15. Highlight the little blue x again

16. Press the Select button until the current info is removed.

17. Enter the numbers of the coordinance(ex 37 33.227)

18. Highlight the little abc icon on the lower left of the screen.

19. Press Select

20. Highlight the N(if in north America).

21. Highlight the green check mark.

22. Press Select

23. Highlight the Long field right below

24. Press Select

25. Highlight the little blue x again

26. Press the Select button until the current info is removed.

27. Enter the numbers of the coordinance(ex 122 56.772)

28. Highlight the little abc icon on the lower left of the screen.

29. Press Select

30. Highlight the W(if in north America).

31. Highlight the green check mark.

32. Press Select

33. You can press the down arrow and see the rest of the cache fields and edit them the same way; though it is time consuming and not necessary to find the cache

34.Highlight the green check mark at the top of the screen

35 Press Select

The End.

The GPS that I have is a magellen GPS 300 sattelite receiver. I just dont get it. It was discontinued in 2003 so I cant even get information from Magellen. If anyone is familiar with this model and has any information it will be greatly appreciated.

You can only enter in a four character name for the cache(landmark), so you'll have to come up with a way to deal with that yourself. It looks like it'll hold 99 cages(land marks

To enter cache coordinates, try this...

Press Mark

Use the arrows to change the name.

Press Enter

Enter the Latitude

Press Enter

Enter the Longitude

Press Enter

To goto a cache, you'll have to create a Route. Easiest is to do a one legged Route(one cache at a time).

try this...

Press Goto

Use the Left/Right Arrows to select a cache(Landmark)

Press Enter

Follow the route

That should work

Kuttmost I have the fix to your problem. I just bought the same GPSr myself and had a heck of a time with entering coordinates...they were way off from where I thought they should be as well. Anyway somehow I figured out it came out of the box configured incorrectly. Go under Settings->Navigation-> Navigation Options-> Coordinate System-> make sure "Lat/Long" is highlighted, then click the enter button & then change the accuracy to "DEG/MIN.MMM" and that should fix the problem.

Here is the link to the online instruction manual. http://www.tritonforum.com/Files/UserManual_ENG.pdf

Now, if someone can please tell me how to fix the Magellan Triton 300 so that it will show me how many feet I am in proximity to a cache I will be all set. The closest it is showing me now is 0.5 mile which sucks!!

Almost thinking I should go get a refund.

Now, if someone can please tell me how to fix the Magellan Triton 300 so that it will show me how many feet I am in proximity to a cache I will be all set. The closest it is showing me now is 0.5 mile which sucks!!

Follow the map screen and zoom in as you get closer; it'll zoom down to a 100' screen; then keep walking and when the arrow touches the cache, you're there. My Triton gets me to with 5' usually

I am really new to geocaching. I purchased a Magellan GPS 300 on craigslist and I am having trouble putting in coordinates. The unit was band new in the box. It is discontinued so I cant get any information n it. It seems like the coordinates just dont fit into the unit. If anyone is knowledgeable with these things please let me know. I need all of the help that I can get!!

I am also new to geocaching and have been given the same gps. How are you getting along with it. I do have all the instructions but they are in German.

Thank You

Guernseygirl

Follow the map screen and zoom in as you get closer; it'll zoom down to a 100' screen; then keep walking and when the arrow touches the cache, you're there. My Triton gets me to with 5' usually

Thank you for the help, but the Magellan Triton frustrated me so much I exchanged it for a Garmin etrex Venture HC. I do not regret that at all. It was out of the box and sending me on a hunt within 15 mins!