Caching Cheaters

There is a member names Max&MaryAnn who are cheaters. They do not actually do these caches. Apparently they only have done a few. For example they were in Nova Scotia, Alberta, Ontario and California all in one day. Unless you have your own private plane highly doubtful. This is their link http://www.geocaching.com/profile/Default....8571-0e51ccd3fd. Several of us have already contacted them about this issue. Any other ideas from anybody? :D

Your link gives "Profile not found."

A search for that caching name gives this profile: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?ul=Max%26MaryAnn

Oh, wait... I think we've heard of these guys before... logs like "ddddd" and "ssssss" or non-committal logs like "right on" and "nice place".

I sure don't see anything suspicious about their finds pattern, though. Yeah, I see finds in several states, but not on the same day. One of their two TB drops looks suspicious, but with cache logs like "ddddd", I wouldn't expect them to be too careful about logging TBs.

Why does this bother you so much?

Edited by knowschad

There is a member names Max&MaryAnn who are cheaters. They do not actually do these caches. Apparently they only have done a few. For example they were in Nova Scotia, Alberta, Ontario and California all in one day. Unless you have your own private plane highly doubtful. This is their link http://www.geocaching.com/profile/Default....8571-0e51ccd3fd. Several of us have already contacted them about this issue. Any other ideas from anybody? :D

"Mind your own business" comes first to mind,

followed by "Don't sweat the small stuff"

and then I must ask, how do you know they are not catching up on logging caches they've found over the last few months, just using the same date? I do that all the time.

Do you have proof that they are cheating? If not I would say that this personal attack thread should be closed and that you owe them an apology.

Ok come on guys seriously, you can't possibly think that someone can find 28 caches in 3 states, and 3 territories all in one day really? Don't think so. Yes they are the people who go dddddd gggggg and whatever. It's very bothersome because most of us really enjoy going out and doing this the right way. It's wrong for someone to stake a claim on something they didn't actually do. They are posers.

yes the annoying cheaters hit my area are the same people. yes the people in susanville and surrounding area are just a wee bit ticked. it's a shame that some people have to do that. they will be deleted and they have been told several times it sounds like to stop.

Edited by schaefer4

Some people don't have a way to log finds while traveling, so they get done in a group when they get back. They may have simply not bothered to change the dates on the logs.

On the other hand, I've seen logs where people put out a cache they brought with them, and call it a find. I've seen people log a find because they were "pretty sure they found the spot it was supposed to be in". It just makes me wonder how many of their other finds are equally bogus. But I don't get bent out of shape about it.

If you own one of these caches, then feel free to check for a signature, and delete if not found.

We have a cacher in our area that I would call just as much as cheating if I actually cared. He logs finds as "I forgot to sign log" " I was there but too busy with muggles to grab" etc. But I really dont care cuz know what...... NO ONES KEEPING SCORE, and if they were, well I'd be in last place. lol

We have a cacher in our area that I would call just as much as cheating if I actually cared. He logs finds as "I forgot to sign log" " I was there but too busy with muggles to grab" etc. But I really dont care cuz know what...... NO ONES KEEPING SCORE, and if they were, well I'd be in last place. lol

On the other hand, I've seen logs where people put out a cache they brought with them, and call it a find. I've seen people log a find because they were "pretty sure they found the spot it was supposed to be in". It just makes me wonder how many of their other finds are equally bogus. But I don't get bent out of shape about it.

If you own one of these caches, then feel free to check for a signature, and delete if not found.

Well I didn't think of that one. And all this time I've been finding other people's caches.

I've always thought the cause of logs like that (three states in one day, or better yet, 2 countries and 3 states in one day, on one i saw, beatss yours!) Were all the cause of the aliens finally joining in on our game and using space crafts. I think that's what it really comes down to.

So if you want to piss off a bunch of aliens, be my guest. Just don't mention my name!!!

I actually just found one today myself. Interesting way people play this game.

He logged "found" and then wrote in, "sorry didn't sign the log because I couldn't find the cache."

Not sure what exactly it was that he did find.

This cache happens to be one I've been bugging the owner to replace It's got a huge list of DNF's and the owner said to me in an email that it's not that hard.

He's probably in conjuction with the aliens no doubt.

I wrote as nice of a letter as I could to this new cacher and provided links to pages on

HOW TO PLAY THIS GAME. (which states you have to sign the log before you can log it online)

But aliens probably can't read english anyway, or the other languages listed, so until we get these sites translated into off world languages, we'll just have to put up with them not knowing how to play the game.

Oh well.

I guess that leaves me to just focus on my own game.

Ok come on guys seriously, you can't possibly think that someone can find 28 caches in 3 states, and 3 territories all in one day really? Don't think so. Yes they are the people who go dddddd gggggg and whatever. It's very bothersome because most of us really enjoy going out and doing this the right way. It's wrong for someone to stake a claim on something they didn't actually do. They are posers.

Yes, it's possible. I've found caches in 4 states in one day (SC, GA, TN, NC), all while driving 500 miles in about 6 hours. I've woken up in a hotel in California within a few miles of the Arizona border (I found two caches in AZ about 11PM the night before), driven all the way across southern California (grabbing one cache along the way) to Ontario, and catching a plane to Atlanta, GA (three hour layover, plenty of time to grab a cache but I didn't), then on to home in Tennessee. If I'd wanted to I could have found caches in four states over 1800 miles apart in the same day.

Also, as already stated, maybe they just don't bother to worry about find date when they log a week or month's worth of finds.

And finally, who cares? This isn't a contest. You do NOT win a prize if you have the most finds. If they log one of your caches, then delete it. Otherwise, ignore it and go enjoy life.

Edited by J-Way

yes the annoying cheaters hit my area are the same people. yes the people in susanville and surrounding area are just a wee bit ticked. it's a shame that some people have to do that. they will be deleted and they have been told several times it sounds like to stop.

Perhaps I didn't look back far enough, but I checked the most recent 3 pages of their finds, and those were all in one state on one date. I don't mean to discount your annoyance, but I still have to ask why this matters enough to you to post it here. None of those caches that they claimed to have found were even yours.

If you are right that they are cheating (and we don't know that for sure), hopefully they're happy playing their stupid game. Yeah, I wish they wouldn't do that, but it isn't going to ruin my day.

Ok come on guys seriously, you can't possibly think that someone can find 28 caches in 3 states, and 3 territories all in one day really? Don't think so.

The one I saw (actually there was more than one) where the guy logged Belgium, Texas, Germany, Italy, mississippi and north carolina in one day. (or something like that)

THAT was a geocache run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try to top that one!!

These were all virual caches by the way.

Look at it this way,

We are the first to know of the coming alien invasion.

Who else could be getting all those caches in one day but someone with a space ship?

Now come on, really?

So we are the first to really learn about their presence here on our planet because we all happen to be geocachers.

It's an honor really.

If you don't like the honor, then delete delete!!

Perhaps I didn't look back far enough, but I checked the most recent 3 pages of their finds, and those were all in one state on one date. I don't mean to discount your annoyance, but I still have to ask why this matters enough to you to post it here. None of those caches that they claimed to have found were even yours.

If you are right that they are cheating (and we don't know that for sure), hopefully they're happy playing their stupid game. Yeah, I wish they wouldn't do that, but it isn't going to ruin my day.

The point has been made here on this thread as well as on other threads on this forum....WHO CARES they are only cheating themselves if indeed they are cheating. Their numbers only mean something to them no one else.

"Don't take life so seriously, none of us are getting out of it alive anyway" LOL

Scubasonic

Am I missing something? All I see are finds in California, Louisiana and Hawaii.

If they are phony loggers, I'm kind of surprised at the high number (so far) of "who cares" responses. Lest we not forget the famous Oculus Prime account, with about 2,000 phony finds, that were wiped out by The Frog last year. :D

Am I missing something? All I see are finds in California, Louisiana and Hawaii.

Yeah, that's what I see, too. Although I sure think I saw a pattern of odd logging when I first checked them out. But not now.

In any case, it still falls under the category of, who cares? For all I know, it might be a mental patient that's gone off his meds... it could happen, and it affects my experience just about as much.

Edited by knowschad

Yeah, that's what I see, too. Although I sure think I saw a pattern of odd logging when I first checked them out. But not now.

In any case, it still falls under the category of, who cares? For all I know, it might be a mental patient that's gone off his meds... it could happen, and it affects my experience just about as much.

I'm just sayin' that if it gets to the point where there are thousands of bogus logs, and multiple threads in these forums and at the forums of regional geocaching organizations all over America, it has been shown very recently that Groundspeak, Inc. cares. :D

I never thought of the mental patient going off their meds angle though. And there is some pretty funny stuff in the other older thread on them.

Call the cops!

:D

There is a member names Max&MaryAnn who are cheaters. They do not actually do these caches. Apparently they only have done a few. For example they were in Nova Scotia, Alberta, Ontario and California all in one day. Unless you have your own private plane highly doubtful. This is their link http://www.geocaching.com/profile/Default....8571-0e51ccd3fd. Several of us have already contacted them about this issue. Any other ideas from anybody? :mad:

So sick of whiners. Don't like 'em, don't read 'em.

How exactly are were you damaged by this?

Edited by M15a4spr

There is a member names Max&MaryAnn who are cheaters. They do not actually do these caches. Apparently they only have done a few. For example they were in Nova Scotia, Alberta, Ontario and California all in one day. Unless you have your own private plane highly doubtful. This is their link http://www.geocaching.com/profile/Default....8571-0e51ccd3fd. Several of us have already contacted them about this issue. Any other ideas from anybody? :mad:

Cache owners can delete the bogus logs. Once you have made the contact, your part is done. Now it's out of your hands and you can quit worrying about it.

...How exactly are were you damaged by this?

A simple principal to create a better world is to take action when you see a wrong thing. Yes it's minor in this case. Lying on your care repair bill isn't so minor. The thing is to creata a society that doesn't tolerate lying to begin with so you don't have to wonder about bogus repair bills, your partner lying about STD's and other things. Lying is a problem that permeiats. At least the folks lying should know it's wrong and not tolerated.

The point has been made here on this thread as well as on other threads on this forum....WHO CARES they are only cheating themselves if indeed they are cheating

Not quite true. Phony logs can inconvenice other geocachers. A found it log tells the community that the cache is there. If it isn't, false finds can encourage others to hunt for a cache that they otherwise might have avoided. I know of one geocacher who was fooled into making a 100 mile RT to go after a cache that had a phony find after a series of DNFs.

I personally wasted my time looking for a missing cache that I chose specifically because it had a recent find. The Found it was phony and I was out the time and gas.

It can also confuse cache owners. By logging a find you are telling the cache owner that the cache was there and OK. If it isn't the lie could delay needed maintenance. I had a cache with a series of DNFs and was about to go check on it when someone logged a Found It. Great I thought, no need to check now.

But there was something a bit fishy about the log, so I went out there anyway and sure enough there was a problem with the cache and no log in the book from the the fraud who logged the find. If the liar was a bit better at logging bogus finds I probably wouldn't have made the maint visit and subsequent searchers would have been invonvenienced by looking for an unfindable cache.

And I won't even go into the extra trips by cache owners to their caches to check on fishy logs.

There are many practices in geocaching that though cheesy, are really of no consequence. Logging fraudulent finds isn't one of them. It can and does impact other geocachers.

Edited by briansnat
The point has been made here on this thread as well as on other threads on this forum....WHO CARES they are only cheating themselves if indeed they are cheating

Not quite true. Phony logs can inconvenice other geocachers. A found it log tells the community that the cache is there. If it isn't, false finds can encourage others to hunt for a cache that they otherwise might have avoided. I know of one geocacher who was fooled into making a 100 mile RT to go after a cache that had a phony find after a series of DNFs.

I personally wasted my time looking for a missing cache that I chose specifically because it had a recent find. The Found it was phony and I was out the time and gas.

It can also confuse cache owners. By logging a find you are telling the cache owner that the cache was there and OK. If it isn't the lie could delay needed maintenance. I had a cache with a series of DNFs and was about to go check on it when someone logged a Found It. Great I thought, no need to check now.

But there was something a bit fishy about the log, so I went out there anyway and sure enough there was a problem with the cache and no log in the book from the the fraud who logged the find. If the liar was a bit better at logging bogus finds I probably wouldn't have made the maint visit and other geocachers would have been invonvenienced by looking for an unfindable cache.

And I won't even go into the extra trips out to the cache to check on fishy logs.

There are many practices in geocaching that though cheesy, are really of no consequence. Logging fraudulent finds can and does impact other geocachers.

You bring up some valid points that I never thought of. I often do use logs already posted as possible clues when looking for caches. Thanks for shedding some new light here.

There is a member names Max&MaryAnn who are cheaters. They do not actually do these caches. Apparently they only have done a few. For example they were in Nova Scotia, Alberta, Ontario and California all in one day. Unless you have your own private plane highly doubtful. This is their link http://www.geocaching.com/profile/Default....8571-0e51ccd3fd. Several of us have already contacted them about this issue. Any other ideas from anybody? :mad: Do You know what I think? I think that it's the Presidents daughter and her boyfriend

Any other ideas from anybody? :mad:

Logging a find online when you didn't go to the physical cache and sign the log book is wrong. If a cacher has done this to one of your caches, drop them an email to make sure it wasn't a mistake, and give them the chance to delete their own log. Should that fail, you may have to delete it yourself.

Once that's done, just let it go.

A simple principal to create a better world is to take action when you see a wrong thing. Yes it's minor in this case. Lying on your care repair bill isn't so minor. The thing is to creata a society that doesn't tolerate lying to begin with so you don't have to wonder about bogus repair bills, your partner lying about STD's and other things. Lying is a problem that permeiats. At least the folks lying should know it's wrong and not tolerated.

I lie on my drivers licence weight entry and have for more than 30 years. Lying is fun and harmless 99.9% of the time.

Geocaching.com is not a forum for changing the world, one liar at a time. It is just a place to do your thing and have fun.

First, get Patrick and Spongebob to track them down and use they're bubble blasters on them. That will teach them a lesson they will never forget. They'll probably won't watch that cartoon ever again! LOL. :mad:

OK, you know that was just a joke. Just ignore it unless your trying to be the person who finds the most caches. If you are, contact Geocaching and tell them about the problem. Problem solved. :)

Yes, it's possible. I've found caches in 4 states in one day (SC, GA, TN, NC), all while driving 500 miles in about 6 hours. I've woken up in a hotel in California within a few miles of the Arizona border (I found two caches in AZ about 11PM the night before), driven all the way across southern California (grabbing one cache along the way) to Ontario, and catching a plane to Atlanta, GA (three hour layover, plenty of time to grab a cache but I didn't), then on to home in Tennessee. If I'd wanted to I could have found caches in four states over 1800 miles apart in the same day.

Also, as already stated, maybe they just don't bother to worry about find date when they log a week or month's worth of finds.

And finally, who cares? This isn't a contest. You do NOT win a prize if you have the most finds. If they log one of your caches, then delete it. Otherwise, ignore it and go enjoy life.

Forget the bogus logger. I'm callin the cops on you, you, speeder! :o

On topic, i go along with RK in that a bogus log in itself is no biggie. It's the fact that someone lies in the first place, especially about something this unimportant, that makes me wonder about that person. :) Also, these so called "don't hurt anything", "only cheating themselves", replies aren't very good arguements since this behavior can affect others. One example, someone claiming a find on a cache while the cache is actually missing.

Edited by Mudfrog

Here's something very interesting! Looks like Max&MaryAnn have changed their name to "two oldies"

June 15 by two oldies (151 found)

I found the cache a while ago, but I forgot the date. So I used the day that I was logging all the caches I did while in California.

[This entry was edited by Max&MaryAnn on Friday, June 19, 2009 at 10:13:42 AM.]

Link to Log

Although, on some of their caches, they are logging under the new name twice, as in here:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...07-f3d156fb73de

My guess is that they don't intend to be cheating. I think they are honestly ahd helplessly clueless.

I don't think they're cheats. A while ago I found Lassen Forks (one of the California caches they logged), visited Susanville and found a cache there, then was in Nevada a bit later without having to rush around. They seem a little vague with dates and probably have some wrong, and as they're clearly travelling around this will likely cause some amazing discrepancies if you check. But that's not such a big deal, is it? The log entries are theirs, after all.

I don't think they're cheats. A while ago I found Lassen Forks (one of the California caches they logged), visited Susanville and found a cache there, then was in Nevada a bit later without having to rush around. They seem a little vague with dates and probably have some wrong, and as they're clearly travelling around this will likely cause some amazing discrepancies if you check. But that's not such a big deal, is it? The log entries are theirs, after all.

I'm wondering if part of their issue is just not changing the date to the date they found it. I don't usually log the same day I go caching, I wait a day or so. I try to mark what the datewas in my little book, but sometimes forget.

I'm wondering if part of their issue is just not changing the date to the date they found it. I don't usually log the same day I go caching, I wait a day or so. I try to mark what the datewas in my little book, but sometimes forget.

No... there's much more to this puzzle than that.

Forget the bogus logger. I'm callin the cops on you, you, speeder! :P

Oops... :) The 500 miles was the total for the trip, and is what was put on my expense report, so that's what was stuck in my mind. The leg where I found the caches was a little less than half that, about 230 miles.