One more Nub question on the 76CSX *paperless definition confusion*

Bent Nerds

This is the thing I am confused about. I just recently discovered thanks to this forum, I could add information to my nuvi so I could do paperless caching.

Now that I am looking for a more outdoor friendly GPS... people say the 76CSX can't do paperless.. so does this mean you can't load a macro like with the nuvi? Or will it work just the same way? I am very confused on what people consider paperless to be! To me it is just the ability to add the geocaching information and look at it while in the field, instead of printing maps. Thats all I need!

Thank you.

When people say "paperless" they mean that the cache page information is displayed on the device.

You can't do that with the 76CSX. THere is however a limited paperless cabability where you can use the POI loader and GSAK to get the hint on the unit. Using GSAK you can also have the 76CSX display cache type, size, and terrain and difficulty ratings. But you won't get the complete cache page on a 76CSX.

Being a mapping unit, you will have detailed maps if you purchase them.

While there are a few tricks and macros to get some of the cache listing details to appear on the device - very few would go so far as to refer to it as a paperless geocaching unit. On the Colorado and Oregon devices - you drop the GPX onto the device (literally drag and drop) - then off you go. The 60 and 70CSx require using GSAk and the macro as well as spreading the resulting information across multiple POi points and not using the unit's built in Geocaching mode at all.

While there are a few tricks and macros to get some of the cache listing details to appear on the device - very few would go so far as to refer to it as a paperless geocaching unit. On the Colorado and Oregon devices - you drop the GPX onto the device (literally drag and drop) - then off you go. The 60 and 70CSx require using GSAk and the macro as well as spreading the resulting information across multiple POi points and not using the unit's built in Geocaching mode at all.

Ok, so it is nothing at all like the Nuvi macro?

No. The two devices load caches in entirely different manners. But I use a Garmin 60CSx and use my Nuvi as well for both getting me to the park and to store the cache page and logs. Works great!

No. The two devices load caches in entirely different manners. But I use a Garmin 60CSx and use my Nuvi as well for both getting me to the park and to store the cache page and logs. Works great!

Gotcha, that cleared it up for me a bit, thanks guys :(