What is the best GPSr for a new geocacher?

JoeyM

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive GPSr that's:

• Easy to use
  • In expensive
  • Plenty of features a new geocacher would need
  • Maybe a compass? And stuff?

Anyway thanks a bunch and i'm sure this has been asked before but was hoping for some really up-to-date suggestions.

Cheers!

Joey :(

Hi everyone,

• Easy to use
  • In expensive

Anyway thanks a bunch and i'm sure this has been asked before but was hoping for some really up-to-date suggestions.

Cheers!

Joey :(

I'm a newbee too, and just did a ton of research the past few weeks and ended up buying the PN-40 (at REI and until the 25th you get $100 rebate, plus the 10% back at the end of the year)... Price is $399 though up front.

I was looking at the garmin etrex vista hcx, which you can find used for under $200, and it seemed a good choice. this was a utube video on it:

I'm MORE than happy with the PN-40. It is paperless and we have found it to be great so far.

Good luck...

Although I'm an owner and fan of the Delorme PN-40, I can't really recommend it to someone living outside North America because of the lack of map support. You can make your own maps with Delorme's Xmap software but it's an added expense and time consuming.

I would recommend sticking with a Garmin product such as the Oregon, Colorado, 60csx, or the new (yet to hit store shelves) Dakota. Each one has it's positives and negatives. The Oregon would be at the top of your price range and with the added cost of routable street maps perhaps out of range. The Colorado may be OK but may not be getting much support from Garmin anymore. The 60csx is older but still a great unit although it doesn't have the "paperless" features that many cachers now want. The Dakota may be the best compromise unit for you but isn't on the shelves yet so it's still a bit of a question mark. It will have a good price point but give up some of the features of the Oregon.

Edited by Pax42

Hi everyone,

• Easy to use
  • In expensive

Cheers!

Joey :D

:( My friend, you get what you pay for! Get a Garmin 60 CSX, and enjoy it for a lifetime!

Hi everyone,

• Easy to use
  • In expensive

Cheers!

Joey :D

:( My friend, you get what you pay for! Get a Garmin 60 CSX, and enjoy it for a lifetime!

If it's features you want, the Oregon, Colorado or the new Dakota might be your best choices, just be aware that there are many reports of bugs with the first two and I'm not sure the last one is out yet.

My thought, paperless caching is AWESOME!!

.... just be aware that there are many reports of bugs with the first two and I'm not sure the last one is out yet.

That is not really true. The current firmware is pretty much bug free. Some of the newer BETA firmwares have had bugs as new features are added, but that is the nature of BETA....

200 pounds "might" get you a Colorado 300

Now I'm wondering if I should get the garmin Colorado 300 or the GMAP 60CSx?

If your going to spend that amount of money for the colorado 300, you might as well get a PN-20 $150 or a PN-40 $400 and not have to worry about the expensive maps garmin has to offer. Last I heard the garmin maps go for $100 on average.

.... just be aware that there are many reports of bugs with the first two and I'm not sure the last one is out yet.

That is not really true. The current firmware is pretty much bug free. Some of the newer BETA firmwares have had bugs as new features are added, but that is the nature of BETA....

200 pounds "might" get you a Colorado 300

That's odd because the info I read shows problems...not as many problems, but problems all the same. I still say buyer beware...