New GPS and iPod Touch?

Hi,

I have been using a Garmin Legend H for years now. I was thinking of possibly upgrading to something else that I could actually hook up to my computer for faster download (my GPS uses a serial port). Is there a unit out there that downloads the coordinates as well as the cache description? I print everything out right now. Maybe I'm REALLY behind on the technology so bear with me!

Also, is there anything worth while for the iPod Touch? I don't have one, but was wondering if I could download cache descriptions to that. However, I probably couldn't use the Touch if there were no WiFi in the geocaching area, right?

Thanks for your help!

Michelle

Most Garmin units (with the exception of the Colorado/Oregon/Dakota series) have a very limited amount of text space for each waypoint.

Any unit should be able to download coordinates via the Garmin browser plugin or using GPSBabel.

I sometimes use Groundspeak's Geocaching app on the iPod Touch. It can get data via WiFi and optionally save it for offline access, or download entire Pocket Queries (if you have a Premium membership).

Most Garmin units (with the exception of the Colorado/Oregon/Dakota series) have a very limited amount of text space for each waypoint.

Any unit should be able to download coordinates via the Garmin browser plugin or using GPSBabel.

I sometimes use Groundspeak's Geocaching app on the iPod Touch. It can get data via WiFi and optionally save it for offline access, or download entire Pocket Queries (if you have a Premium membership).

I just bought ipod touch it dosn't come with gps but you can load geocaching app for it I haven't done that yet. you need to be in a wi fi spot but I think you can save cache and locations before hand. I got the 8 gig but I should have gotten the 16 for more space. hope that helps.

Edited by zinnia123

Also, is there anything worth while for the iPod Touch? I don't have one, but was wondering if I could download cache descriptions to that. However, I probably couldn't use the Touch if there were no WiFi in the geocaching area, right?

I use an iPod touch for paperless, although it's more I had a touch and i decided to use it rather than getting it especially for paperless. I don't use the geocaching app because I believe the power behind it is internet connectivity which I won't have most the time.

There's a number of apps that let you receive and view files on the touch, so i use GSAK to export cache listings as html and copied those onto the touch for use that way. There's two i've used so far...

"FileAid" - this is good because it allows you to copy the files by cable rather than wifi, so only takes a couple of minutes to copy 10000 or so entries - very fast! it takes some time to open and there's no search facility, so you're stuck either browsing the files or using the index pages gsak creates.

I also used another program which I can't find now but that only allowed me to copy files over wifi so was slow BUT you could search by filename (which is the GC code) so was great in that respect. It was also quicker at loading.

I would say that iTouch is great for paperless, although I also use it a lot for music on the go and in the car, so if I'd got it JUST for paperless I may have been disappointed maybe...

I have a MacBook and use MacCaching to manage my PQ's. I send cache info to Address Book, then create a separate group that matches the name of the PQ and dump all the cache listings in that group. After syncing through Itunes, I use Contacts on the ipod. Works great.