60CSx discontinued, and its replacement?

So, I decided to jump from my Vista HCx to a 60CSx, and got it at my local Best Buy. They were willing to price match Amazon.com down to $293 and do the same for my MicroSD card, which was nice, but according to the guy I talked with, it is flagged as discontinued in their system. The store I purchased from had two in stock, and no other locations in the area had them available which got me to thinking.

I've been mighty happy with this device so far, and I am so glad I made the switch out of the eTrex line, but I am wondering if anyone knows what might be happening with the 60CSx and what its possible successor could be? Maybe Best Buy is just discontinuing its sales of the 60CSx?

So, I decided to jump from my Vista HCx to a 60CSx, and got it at my local Best Buy. They were willing to price match Amazon.com down to $293 and do the same for my MicroSD card, which was nice, but according to the guy I talked with, it is flagged as discontinued in their system. The store I purchased from had two in stock, and no other locations in the area had them available which got me to thinking.

I've been mighty happy with this device so far, and I am so glad I made the switch out of the eTrex line, but I am wondering if anyone knows what might be happening with the 60CSx and what its possible successor could be? Maybe Best Buy is just discontinuing its sales of the 60CSx?

BIG difference between Best Buy discontinuing carrying it and Garmin discontinuing producing/marketing/upgrading it.

BIG difference between Best Buy discontinuing carrying it and Garmin discontinuing producing/marketing/upgrading it.

That's why I was mentioning it, because the guy said that it typically happens when it is discontinued from the manufacturer, but that he didn't know 100%.

I will mention, though, that the 60CSx I got this week, luckily, has the SiRF chipset

That's why I was mentioning it, because the guy said that it typically happens when it is discontinued from the manufacturer, but that he didn't know 100%.

I will mention, though, that the 60CSx I got this week, luckily, has the SiRF chipset

QUOTE: "I don't think Garmin is going to discontinue the gpsmap 60 series anytime soon, tha=ey have started using the Meditek gps chipset. If they were going to phase it out, I doubt they would have bothered to make that change." : UNQUOTE

Which chipset is better and why ?

And how about the 76CSx, which is the same unit as the 60CSx but in a different case ? Have they changed the typoe of chipset in those too ?

Thanks

And how about the 76CSx, which is the same unit as the 60CSx but in a different case ? Have they changed the typoe of chipset in those too ?

I don't keep tabs on the 76CSx, but I have heard from several places that the guts are nearly identical. I have not heard anyone mention that the 76CSx has changed chipsets, though.

From everything that I've read, and from my own fiddling over the past few days, the SiRFStar III chipset is superior to the Mediatek chipsets Garmin has used. I don't have any hard evidence, but my 60CSx locks faster and is far more accurate over time than my Vista HCx (which has a Mediatek chip).

Thanks

It is not so much of which one is better, it is a question of which one has the least legal baggage. SiRF has been sued for patient infringement and lost. This makes using that chip risky for manufacturers until SiRF signs license agreements.

And yes, the 76CSx was also changed.

Jim

Thanks

It is not so much of which one is better, it is a question of which one has the least legal baggage. SiRF has been sued for patient infringement and lost. This makes using that chip risky for manufacturers until SiRF signs license agreements.

And yes, the 76CSx was also changed.

Jim

Thanks for all the info.

So... how can I tell which chipset is inside my 76CSx ? Or for that matter, how can Itell which chipset is inside any of my Garmin Units ? ( I have a 2730, 7500, 780, 775, and the 76CSx.)

So... how can I tell which chipset is inside my 76CSx ? Or for that matter, how can Itell which chipset is inside any of my Garmin Units ? ( I have a 2730, 7500, 780, 775, and the 76CSx.)

On the 76 if you have GPS SW Verson 3.00 you have a SiRF chip, I believe the mediatek chip is V4.00. The others I don't know.

Jim

That was settled long ago.

Yes about a year ago Broadcom did win, but I don't know the outcome of any licensing agreements. Until SiRF licenses the patents from Broadcom manufactures are at risk by using the SiRF chip. I suspect the change was to skirt any legal issues.

Jim

P.S. I did find something. It looks like Broadcom has filed another lawsuit. Very messy for Garmin.

Edited by jholly

I stopped in my local Best buy to see what they had - there was a bazillion car units, and one etrex. The guy looked up what else they carried, and found that all the handhelds were going to be available online only. The only thing they would be carrying in the stores would be car models. I did not ask about the 60csx specifically, but I would imagine that's what happened to it. Not really discontinued, just not available in stores any more. I did not find what I was looking for either, but that's another thread.

So... how can I tell which chipset is inside my 76CSx ?

On the 76 if you have GPS SW Verson 3.00 you have a SiRF chip, I believe the mediatek chip is V4.00.

Not quite correct. With unit firmware 3.70 and earlier, you will see GPS SW 3.00 if you have a SiRF chipset. I don’t think the MediaTek chipsets were used that long ago, though I’m not sure. With unit firmware 3.90 or later, you will see GPS SW 3.00s if you have a SiRF chipset and GPS SW 2.00m if you have a MediaTek chipset.