Odd HTML situation

H2"O"

I've run into this situation several times. I struggle through the HTML anyway so this is a tough situation for me. I write out the cache description in MS Word, then I test it in an online HTML test bench and all is well. Any links I've included all work and the page looks just the way I want (align, color, size etc). I cut and paste that document into the online cache form, it all looks fine..THEN..when I submit the cache (thankfully, with the reviewer box un-checked) and view it, everthing goes all screwy. I go to "edit" and my carefully constructed HTML document has been butchered with <br>s all over the place and odd characters that I've never seen before. I reconstruct the page and after a few tries get it right. Does anyone have any ideas what might be happening??

I sometimes write cache pages for other cachers, and I've had the same thing happen--and I don't use an html editor. When I made the page (using an archived cache of my own on gc.com), it looked fine, but when I emailed it to the CO, it arrived with all sorts of extra line breaks. What has helped is to omit all line breaks--don't click enter to start on another line. Don't try to put each command on a separate line to make things clear or pretty. If you want line breaks in the page text, type <br>, of course, but otherwise just type everything in one big glob of text, letting the line breaks fall where they may.

I write out the cache description in MS Word,

The above is your problem. Word generates some of the worst code imaginable. Use a stand-alone HTML editor, like Nvu, or if you use Firefox, install the Xinha Here! add-on.

This is likely not the problem. I have entered HTML directly into the new cache form, and when I select Submit, I get the same problem. This has been discussed in other threads before, but there never seems to be a resolution or response from the developers.

What I do now is complete all other fields, leave "HTML" unchecked, leave the "Active" unchecked, and the description fields totally blank. I hit Submit, and then go back and check HTML and enter my cache descriptions.

A pain, but it's easier than going back to edit out all o hte <br> tags.

(edited to add linky)

Edited by BBWolf+3Pigs

There's a geocaching web site forum. You'll get better answers to this type of question there.

Use a stand-alone HTML editor, like Nvu

Nvu is no longer being developed, but is superseded by KompoZer.

As for line breaks, think paragraphs rather than lines. Unless you are creating HTML tables or HTML lists, all text should go between <p> and </p> tags. (Usually you can leave off the </p>, but it's clearer if you keep it.

KEEP IT SIMPLE. As pointed out, if you are using Word to "save as HTML", then you will get total grossness. If you are just using Word to edit the HTML and are saving as plain text, then keep the HTML simple. Don't copy and paste HTML from somewhere else.

Finally, gc.com WILL strip many tags from your HTML. It is not safe to allow arbitrary user to insert unrestricted HTML into your web pages. As a result, gc.com has a very restricted list of what tags and attributes you are allowed to use. Anything else will be stripped.

Edward